Cheesy Crackers

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on August 14, 2012

My sister, Christina, and I raced home after school everyday to catch the latest episodes of Jonovision, Street Cents, and Carmen Sandiego. Once we were home, we’d make ourselves a big snack plate; pieces of bread smeared with margarine and crackers topped with cheez whiz, then snuggle up on the couch just in time for the first episode to begin. Christina took the bread, rolling each slice into a ball before consuming it, and I had dibs on the crackers. Ha, it’s no wonder we’re both sensitive to gluten as adults, we ate our fair share of it as kids!

15 years later, crackers and cheese is still one of my favorite snacks. I love coming up with fun ways of combining the two into a savory snack that isn’t loaded with artificial colors or flavors (aka cheez whiz free).

This time, I’ve combined unripened goat cheese with flax seed, rice flour and a bit of arrowroot starch, reminiscent of that snack plate from ’96… but way healthier! Head on over to the Happy Days Dairies website for the recipe.

If you’re allergic to dairy, I haven’t forgotten about you! Check out some of the suggestions I’ve posted on how to make this recipe dairy-free. Also, the same link will take you to the nutrition info for this recipe.

The opinions expressed herein are those of Healthful Pursuit and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Happy Days Dairies.

These look so cute!! You and your sister seem to have had similar post-school rituals to my sister and I, only ours involved copious amounts of Kraft Dinner with all that artificial cheese stuff that comes powdered in the packet, (and in my case, lots of ketchup!) Jonovision, Street Cents, and Carmen Sandiego were all shows we watched too (ahhh the memories!!) as well as Full House (when it was on), Blossom, and Family Matters. Gahh those were the days!

I never got into Blossom, but Full House… ohhhh yeah, it was awesome. Ah, to be a kid again!

The Healthy Hipster

Talk about some Canadiana nostalgia! Jono! Street Cents! So good! These crackers definitely take me back too. Can’t wait to give them a try!

I recently made crackers (havent blogged about them) and yours just look so perfect with the scalloped edges and little holes – until one rolls out 200+ crackers, you don’t quite notice these little details :)

I know, right? It’s so tedious… but the reward is worth it!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

Ty for getting the Carmen Sandiego theme song stuck in my head the rest of the day!

Anytime ;)

Dayanna

I think I might just whip up a batch of these this weekend and watch some retro cartoons. I used to have a carmen sandiego board game that i was obsessed with as a kid – sweet nostalgia. Great idea Leanne!

You had the board game! Omg, so jealous. I asked for it EVERY Christmas but never did get it :(

Dayanna

Wouldn’t that be a good thrift find now a days – carmen board game!!!
Supposedly there is rumour that they might be making a carmen sandiego movie :O !!

Oh I am SO there, dressed up at the theater and ready to GO! That would be fabulous :)

Eat Good 4 Life

Very cool. Now I can make mine cheese flavor!! I just made the sweet cracker version last week for the first time and I really don’t know why I waited this long!! Yours look much thinner than mine, which it is what I should have done with mine :-)

caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy

oooh those look so wonderful! yum! i love cheesy flavored things!

Holly

These look excellent and so easy to do once you get past the rolling and cutting. Obviously it will change the nutrition info (and taste?), but could I used vegetable or olive oil instead of coconut oil?

Jessi

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiago?! (singing jingle as I type) Man that brings me back. My siblings and I would sit on the couch with our allotted two cookies (my parents were stingy with the cookies) and try to best each other getting the answers. Thanks for the flashback in time =) The crackers look awesome btw!

Michelle

Just wondering if there was any other cheese that can be used in place of the goat cheese. My kids are missing crackers terribly but not sure they would like the taste of the goat cheese. Trying to get them away from the goldfish and cheez its. Thanks

Hi Michelle – if you family is okay with cream cheese, that could be a good option in these crackers!

Michelle

Thanks Leanne, yes I think that will work : )