Brilliant Beet Slaw

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on August 3, 2012

Happy Friday! It’s been quite the week.

Tuesday marked my last official day at work. I packed up the things in my office, said my goodbyes, walked out the door for the very last time, and cried all the way home.

Change is hard, saying goodbye to people is challenging, starting something new is a struggle, and beginning this new chapter of working for myself, placing trust in my abilities, is overwhelming at times.

When I get like this, I have to remind myself that the only person that can hold me back from the opportunity, success and happiness that’s right in front of me, is me. It’s my time to shine, to welcome fear, struggle, change, and goodbyes.

I’m ready to embrace it all baby, ya!

Since making Pink Goat Pate a couple of weeks ago, I’ve become obsessed combining beets and dill. These fresh, summer flavors were meant to be combined. And what better way to combine them than in a light, high protein vegan lunch?

You could add goat cheese to this slaw to amp up the protein, cooked grains to increase fiber, carbs and b vitamins, or amp up the healthy fats by pouring a bit of flax or hemp oil over top of your serving. Customize it up!

print, email or text this recipe

Brilliant Beet Slaw
Author:
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 6 cups, 2 servings

Light and refreshing slaw with lemon vinaigrette, chickpeas and loads of dill!
  • ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • ¼ cup fresh dill
  • ¼ cup fresh parsley
  • 1.5 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp raw pepita seeds
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • ¼ tsp sea salt
  • 1 cup cooked chickpeas
  • 3 raw beets, peeled and finely shredded
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely shredded
Instructions
  1. Place lemon juice, dill, parsley, olive oil, seeds, garlic and salt in the bowl of your food processor or high-powered blender. Blend until everything is broken up, but still slightly chunky.
  2. Add chickpeas and pulse quickly, just to break slightly.
  3. Drop into a bowl with shredded beets and carrots. Stir to coat.
  4. Serve with a pinch of lemon zest over top and a parsley sprig.
  5. Store leftovers in the fridge in an air-tight container for 1-2 days.
[url:1]View nutrition info[/url]

Begin assembling the recipe by placing the lemon juice, dill, parsley, olive oil, seeds, garlic and salt in the bowl of your food processor or blender. Blend until everything is broken up, but still slightly chunky.

Add chickpeas and pulse quickly, just to break slightly. Pause here, taste test and add extra salt if necessary. This mixture is so good you may decide to make a batch of hummus and just start over.

Drop the chickpea mixture in a bowl or leave it at the bottom of the processor bowl while you shred the beets.

Prepare the beets for shreddin’ time – wash and peel. Finely shred beets, followed by carrots.

Drop mixture into a bowl, stir to coat and portion out into separate bowls.

Top each serving with a bit of lemon zest. And there you have it, a bright and colorful lunch to kick of your afternoon on a good note.

Just a couple more days until a winner is selected for the DeLallo $125 gift basket giveaway I posted earlier this week. Have you entered?

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance

I’ve been obsessed with beets, too! Just to clarify though, are the beets in this recipe raw or cooked? Thanks!

Hi Michelle – the beets are raw in this recipe. Thanks for asking! I’ve updated the recipe to reflect it :)

I love beets! Except that they make my hands look like a crime scene for days :)

Great attitude towards change Leanne, I KNOW you can do it! Just think of all the awesome opportunities ahead! As for the beets, I’ve been loving them too! My spiralizer on the other hand, is getting a little bit pink. I’m still buying more this weekend though because I want to make this! :)

Thanks Ange, your support has been so, so helpful :) I’ve never used my spiralizer for my beets, I should give that a go. Sometimes I just do not want to mess up my food processor. Those things are a pain to clean. Have an awesome weekend!

Kris

I am just beginning to use beets in ways other than my juicer… with the (brilliant) addition of chickpeas, this one is definitely happening here. I may even add goat cheese!

I got the chills for you, reading again about your last day. I am VERY excited for you, Leanne!

Goat cheese, dill, chickpeas, beets… omg quite possibly the best dinner ever!

Thanks Kris, these are exciting times, that’s for sure :)

katie @KatieDid

oh this sounds refreshing, and i LOVE the purple background, did you make it?!

Thanks Katie! Kevin bought it for me ages ago and this is the first time I’ve used it. Hard to match up with food but it was just too perfect for this slaw!

Kim

Congratulations Leanne on your new adventure!!!! Change is hard and you’re right, overwhelming at times, however without it we would always be in the same place. Embrace the journey ahead and I’m looking forward to hearing all about it :-)

Thank you Kim, you’re 100% right on that!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

This slaw looks incredible Leanne. I spent some time this afternoon cutting up some beets for some baked chips and I may have demolished all of them in no time at all. I absolutely LOVE beets.
Congrats again on the huge life change and all of the upcoming journey that lies ahead. Nothing makes me happier than to see people following their dreams. Such a beautiful thing :) I wish you continued happiness!

You made baked chips with the beets? I’d love to check out the recipe if there is one… is it on your blog? I’m intrigued!

Thanks so much, Beth. I’m really looking forward to the next couple of months, they’re going to be awesome!

PolaM

Have to try this wonderful way to eat beets!

Holly

mmmmmmm. This looks like a great lunch for fall or a hot summer day. I’ve never used raw beets, and I may try this tomorrow if I can find some at the market.