Bombay Banana Smoothie

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on August 15, 2012

Bombay Banana Smoothie #vegan #smoothie #vibrantlifecleanse

Our recent trip to Montreal was filled with food. It was the first, and only, trip I’ve ever been on where I ate out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and still felt good about the food choices I was making. In fact, more often than not, I was having cleaner food than I do at home. Ha! It was awesome.

One of the menu items that peaked my interest but that I didn’t have any room left in my tummy to try, was the Bombay Banana Smoothie at Aux Vivres. The name even sounds good, doesn’t it?

Bombay Banana Smoothie #vegan #smoothie #vibrantlifecleanse

The menu at Aux Vivres outlined the following ingredients: banana, soy-coconut milk (whatever that is?), ginger, masala, and dates. It reminded me of the smoothies I had at Sivananda Ashram in India that contained red banana, water, ginger, and dates… but no masala. The fact that I’ve never thought to add masala to a smoothie fascinated me. Bananas and masala are like mint and chocolate. Meant to be in every way, shape and form.

By now, you can guess what I did when I got home, right?

If you guessed drowning myself in bananas and chai spice, you’d be right on the money.

Next up? Banana masala muffins, pancakes, or maybe even cookies! Ohhhh yaaaaa….

Bombay Banana Smoothie #vegan #smoothie #vibrantlifecleanse

print, email or text this recipe

4.9 from 7 reviews

Bombay Banana Smoothie
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 500mL, 1 serving

A creamy, nutrient-rich smoothie inspired by Aux Vivres Bombay Banana Smoothie.
Instructions
  1. Place in your blender in the order of the ingredients listed.
  2. Blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.

Bombay Banana Smoothie #vegan #smoothie #vibrantlifecleanse

This smoothie is easy to throw together and highly adaptable. For extra protein, try adding things like:

• 1 tablespoon chia seed
  • 1 tablespoon nut butter like peanut or almond
  • handful of raw nuts like cashews, almonds or macadamia nuts
  • 30 grams protein powder of your choice
  • Use non-GMO soy milk instead of almond milk
  • Add 1/4 – 1/2 cup silken tofu

Bombay Banana Smoothie #vegan #smoothie #vibrantlifecleanse

Oh man, this is good. Probably my favorite smoothie yet, even above my Pumpkin Spice Smoothie. Ya, I said it.

What’s your favorite smoothie in the whole, wide world?

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

Honestly, I don’t do smoothies very often. Mine are normally a super thick version of a smoothie. This, however, sounds amazing! The spices with the banana and coconut…YUM!

Amanda

This looks like it will taste amazing and perfect for the summer, pinning it ;)

Thanks, Amanda :)

Oh my goodness, this sounds awesome Leanne! And very much India-inspired. I love those spics and my favourite smoothie of all time is probably one with heaps of greens, a frozen banana, vanilla protein powder, and a mix of cinnamon, cloves, and all spice. I also like to throw in some wheatgrass powder, maca, and chia seeds, just for an extra boost! PS. Love the bubble pics!

Mmm sounds like your favorite smoothie has some of the masala ingredients in it! So tasty.

Oh those bubble pics… I just learned how to create clipping masks in photoshop. It’s so challenging but I’m confident that with a little practice, I’ll have it down to a science. It was really fun to make!

I just made a coconut cream pie smoothie the other day which is similar to this, minus the medjool dates – and it was great. I love adding dates like you did but I don’t even think they have dates on the island. They hardly have chocolate pudding mix and raisins are ungodly expensive so I think I need to bring dates next time!

They don’t have dates? *gasp* You know what blew me away yesterday? The cost of pine nuts. I nearly fell over. $7 for 1/4 cup? Are you kidding?

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

This sounds like one of the tastiest and most unique smoothies ever! I can’t wait to pick up some dates to try this!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance

I need to find some chai spice–this looks delicious. I just gave a seminar on making smoothies, and people were so surprised that you can make great-tasting smoothies without any added sugar or ice cream. I loved hearing people ohhh and ahhh after tasting them. :) My favorite is an “apple pie smoothie” that uses lots of cinnamon, maca powder and ginger.

That’s so great, Michelle! Many of my clients have the very same reaction. I’ve never made my apple pie smoothie with maca.. I’ll have to try that! Sounds superb!

Robyn

Oh yum! Saved into my smoothie file,,,pinned too and can’t wait to try>3
I refuse to pay that much for pine nuts:(((

ha, I’m glad I’m not the only one!

char eats greens

That does sound super yummy!! I don’t think I’ve met the ultimate smoothie combination yet. Maybe I just enjoy them all haha!! My friends visiting Montreal right now. It’s too bad you’re not there anymore cause her boyfriend posted a update on Facebook saying there was a free cirque du soleil show last night. I was even jealous!!

What? FREE? Darn!

Nicole

After seeing this posted I tried it immediately and all I have to say is… “Oh.My.GOODNESS!!!!” This was fantastic. Bravo, my dear!

I’m so happy that you liked it, Nicole!

Sophie

This is right up my alley! I’m super psyched to make this tomorrow for breakfast!

Question about the coconut butter – What’s the benefit to adding it? Flavour? Healthy fat? To make it more calorie-dense?

Thanks! <3

Hi Sophie – a little bit of everything you mentioned. The coconut butter adds a lot of flavor to the smoothie, healthy fats, increases calories… you could also use coconut milk with the same result.

Sophie

Also – You mention masala…but I don’t see it in the ingredient list…(Is it part of the chai spice mix??)

Hi Sophie – Sorry for the confusion! ‘Chai spice mix’ is called ‘tea masala’ in India. The two are the same.

Jessica

Mmmmm I make this smoothie all the time! SO good!

Kenzie

Love how exotic this sounds! :) Smoothies are the perfect go-to lunch, especially in the summer!

Amanda

Hey Leanne! I love smoothies and have had one every day for almost 4 months now! When I miss a day I just don’t feel right. My body loves the easy digestion! I used to make smoothies with tons of ingredients, but now I love to make simple smoothies! Frozen berries of some sort, vanilla protein powder &/or chia seeds, a banana if I am making a meal of it, and a big handful of spinach! YUM!!

Eat good 4 life

This is just my kind of drink bursting with nutrition. Very well done :-)

Heather

yummm this smoothie looks delish Leanne! Can’t find any creamed coconut here :( but coconut butter I do have.

Dayanna

make MUFFINS plz or pancakes would be AH MAZING – so excited!!! next best thing to pumpkin spice muffins … OH man way too excited for fall weather aka cooking ! :P
Also, loved what you did with the comical quote bubble photo layout!
one last note – if your ever visiting vancouver you must go to granville island tea co. in the market on granville island .. hands down best chai tea .. you can get spicy ginger and they kick it up with fresh grated ginger! YUM-O

I know, right? I made banana masala pancakes yesterday and they were the bomb! But, I didn’t get around to taking pictures of them… I just got a bit too excited :P

I haven’t been to Vancouver in a very, very long time. I’ll definitely keep that in mind when I get there one of these days!

Jessica GL

My favorite smoothie is pumkin spice smoothie (your recipe!) My wallpaper is a photo of this smoothie, ok maybe i’m a little bit crazy. But i love fall so i’m excited to be in and drink a pumpkin spice smoothie and looking at the leaves falling of the trees… OH LOVE What a beautiful season :P Thank you for the recipe i should try it tomorrow.

Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry

I could eat Indian Food every day. Thanks for sharing such a scrumptious dairy-free smoothie made with such flavorful ingredients.

It’s one of my favorite cuisines, too!

dara

this sounds amazing. im going to make it tommorrow. so far, my all-time fave decadent smoothie uses: acai ( frozen pure acai packet), cacao powder, and young coconut – the coconut water and the meat. I put in a tbsp of flax or chia seed and mabye a fresh mango or bananna. mmmm!

Wow, that sounds awesome Dara!

Peter @Feed Your Soul

I love this recipe so I am including it in my Friday five. I have put it in my Friday post with the link to your recipe and credit to you. If you want me to add the pic, leave a message a http://chefpeterskitchen.blogspot.com/

Cassie

Dear Leanne.,

My name is Cassie. I have read your blog in almost over a year, I have made some of your recipes and have given it a twist to my taste as well.. recently i made the almond peach gluten free bread. I have converted that into pancakes using brown rice flour, it was amaZinggg…my eat my way..
I have also made this smotthie many times . even just this morning running late for work .. I also added frozen kale leaves that converts it into a mighty green monster..the spices and date stand out . you dont taste the kale.i have also added all these
. tablespoon chia seed
•1 tablespoon peanut butter
• •30 grams protein powder
• almond milk
Thanks for a great website and tasty recipes

xo cassie
Toronto

Hi Cassie – I took your advice and added spinach to my bombay banana smoothie this morning. Very good! Glad you liked the recipe and thanks for sharing your adjustments to it :)

Christina

Just read your latest post about working from home – what a dream! Oh to have time to style, shoot and play around with recipes like you do. Oh and workout in between! I’ve never thought to post smoothie recipes on my blog, even though we have them VERY often. This one looks killer so I am thankful that you DO post smoothies! Will have it in the weekend – no chai spices up here, but I do have cardemom.
I would love to know your process for editing photos.. What program do you use? I’ve been using photoshop for year and would love a change. Any advice?

Rachel

I just made this – it’s so yummy! I added some protein powder to make it more of a meal. I also didn’t have the Chai spice, so I brewed an ounce or two of Chai tea and then threw in some ice cubes to keep it cool. I’ll be making this one again tomorrow!

Such a great idea, Rachel. I used to love adding steeped and cooled teat to my smoothies. I’d completely forgotten about that.

Rachel

I’ve been making this recipe for a few weeks, and it has now inspired me to make a new smoothie – Fall Pumpkin Chai. I used protein powder, a banana, a big spoonful of pumpkin puree, a blend of ground chia and flax seeds, almond milk, a splash of David’s Pumpkin Chai tea and a few ice cubes to counter the hot tea. It’s really good!

Wow Rachel… I’m totally going to try this tomorrow!

Caroline

I don’t even like smoothies, and this is AMAZING!

Bonus points! That’s awesome to hear, Caroline!

Sandy

mmm!!! delicious! Great write up.
I will give you a site where I got real fruit on powder form, I mix it with milk and ice cream to go healthy. they have mango, soursop, apple, pineapple, etc. A lot of fruits and veggies. Enjoy guys! freshlydried.com

NatalieMac

I made this for breakfast this morning for the first time and ever and I fell in love. It’s sooooo good. Hands-down the best smoothie I’ve ever had. Thank you so much for sharing.

Wow, I’m so happy that you liked it, Natalie! Thanks for stopping by and sharing :) Enjoy your weekend!

Penny

I messed with this recipe a lot (didn’t have coconut butter and wanted to increase the protein so subbed 2 tb almond butter, and added 2 kale leaves), and my partner said that it was one of his favorites out of all of the smoothies that we have tried so far. I used 2 tsp ginger for 2 servings and probably should have only used 1, but it was still delicious. We are loving your chai spice mix!

Avi

Mmmm…! Just had this after an intense hot yoga class!
Thanks Leanne!!
And congrats on the wedding:)