Grain-free Tabbouleh with Chickpeas

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on July 23, 2012

Wow, I had such a great weekend, I don’t even know where to start. Kevin and I got lots done around the house, all 8 recipes that I made on Saturday turned out perfect on the first try, and the weather was nice enough on Sunday that we decided to visit the local amusement park with my sister and her boyfriend, Zach.

I remember going on so many rides when I was a kid and never, ever getting sick. Yesterday, every 2-3 rides we all felt nauseous and had to take a break. We did have a ridiculously good time though!

On Saturday, through the hustle bustle of recipe creation, I decided that instead of making a millet-based tabbouleh, I’d try to make it grain-free. I’ve been gravitating more toward a grain-free diet as of late and wanted a dish that was nice and light, wouldn’t upset my stomach, and could easily pass as a full meal.

print, email or text this recipe

Grain-free Tabbouleh with Chickpeas
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 6 cups, 4 servings

Grain-free tabbouleh that uses cauliflower in place of grains and pumps up the protein content with hemp seeds and chickpeas.
Salad
  • 1 small head organic cauliflower, pulsed in food processor to yield 3 cups
  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas
  • ½ cup hemp seeds
  • 1 cup packed fresh curly parsley, thick stems removed and minced
  • ½ cup packed fresh cilantro, thick stems removed and minced
  • 1 cup chopped tomatoes, about 3 medium tomatoes
  • 5 large green onions, chopped
Dressing
Instructions
  1. Break up cauliflower into small flourets. Place in food processor and pulse until broken down to the size of couscous. Place in a large bowl.
  2. Place all other salad ingredients in with the cauliflower. Set aside.
  3. Combine dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour over the veggies, adjust salt and pepper to taste.

There’s lots of fresh ingredients in this one, including my favorite, hemp seeds!

If you’re sensitive to cauliflower, once you’ve pulsed it, have it sit under running hot water for a couple of minutes to cook a little.

Throw everything in a big bowl.

Blend the dressing ingredients until they’re creamy and add to the mixture.

The end result is light, high in protein, and perfect for a bright summer day!

Susmitha - Veganosaurus

Looks sumptuous! I love chickpeas in any form, they are so satisfying. And your presentation of the tabbouleh in those beautiful bowls makes them extra appealing. :)

I know what you mean about the rides. For some reason, I could handle a lot more of them when I was a kid. Now I have to pick and choose and pace myself in between each ride. Wonder why there’s that difference between adults and children.

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

8 new recipes in one day? You are inspirational lol. I’m lucky if I try 2 new ones a week. Glad you had such a wonderful weekend!

Our fridge is stocked for the week ahead, that’s for sure!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn

I approve! It looks legit. Andddd the ingredients are super-foody. Hemp = <3

Thanks, Katelyn! Hemp is one of my favorites, too. Have you ever tried it over top of a baked sweet potato with a bit of coconut oil? Superb!

Janae @ Bring-Joy

I think this recipe qualifies as allergy approved. I think it’s everything-free, so this would be a great dish to take to a party where a lot of different diets needed to be accommodated.

Seriously, 8 recipes? You amaze me.

Hey, you’re right, I hadn’t even thought of that. Good thinking, Janae!

It’s been a long, long time since I busted out 8 recipes in one day. The summer has made me quite lazy and then I end up scrambling as the week goes on. It was a hectic Saturday, that’s for sure!

Cara

oohh, I recently made a cauliflower tabbouleh with raisins and pistachios, but I love your addition of hemp seeds and chickpeas for protein!

Mmm I love raisins in salad. I’ll have to give that a try next time!

What a genius idea with the cauliflower Leanne! Your photos today look like they belong on the cover of Canadian Living!! I’m glad you had such an amazing weekend. Mine was great too, but I could definitely use a day to recover from it! have a wonderful Monday. :)

Thanks, Angela :) I think I’d loose my mind if one of my photos were on the cover of a magazine. Maybe one day ;) I was thinking the same thing this morning, a day to recover would have been ideal.

caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy

yum! that sounds so fresh and delicious!

Melaina from Rudi's Gluten Free Bakery

This sounds delicious and we love how you really have created a gluten free tabbouleh! We’ll definitely be making this for our next office potluck – it is sure to be a hit!

Thanks Melaina – it’s so great that you have office potlucks. I bet there are some amazing gluten-free treats to be had! Hope you’re having a fabulous day :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

I’m so glad you had a great weekend! Me too and it was so needed! This looks amazing! I’ve made tabbouleh with quinoa as the base, but not cauliflower. This is definitely going on my list to make very soon! Perfect summer salad!

8 new perfect recipes in one day?! I knew you were amazing, Leanne, but common! That is super hero-like right there! And using cauliflower in tabbouleh-why haven’t I thought of that? Brilliant!

I haven’t done a full recipe day in ages, it was time. I had a bunch of pent-up recipe ideas! Far from super powers, I swear.

katie @KatieDid

This is awesome Leanne, love grain free dishes! I’ve experimented once with cauliflower as rice and loved the texture. The park sounds like such a blast too, its been way too many years since I’ve enjoyed rides!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Wow 8 recipes in a day, I am so jealous of your stamina, girl! We have had so much going on this summer that I am just squeezing in time to make recipes in between all the comings and goings. If they are all half as delicious as this one, we are definitely in for a treat. Can’t wait to see them all.
PS who does all the dishes in your house? I hate doing the dishes, thankfully Mark is good about doing the dishes when I cook, but I doubt I could convince him if I made 8 recipes, ha. ;)

Kevin? Do dishes? Ha, it would never happen. I’m the dish guru in this house, that’s for sure! I’ve been like that too this summer – just making recipes when I can fit it in… but I owed a bunch of people a bunch of recipes, so just decided to pound them out!

Sophie

This is everything good in life :) Great call on the hemp seeds too – wouldn’t have thought of that!

Mikelle @ Zen Thyroid

Um…..YUM! Looks amazing. I have been super into quinoa tabouli lately but I love the idea of the cauliflower. Lightly cooking it under hot water is a great idea. Hemp seeds are pretty much welcome in any recipe in my kitchen. 8 recipes is one day is rather inspiring, lady. My goodness, is there anything Leanne can’t do? :)

Danielle

I’ve been feeling much better these days on a grain-free/wheat-free diet! Sad because I love overnight oats but my tummy feels better this way… I will be sure to test this out! Love how versatile cauliflower is.

Wendy Polisi (@cookingquinoa)

Love this so much! You have got some serious stamina! No way could I do 8 recipes and still have the energy to go to an amusement park the next day. Typically anything more than 4 makes me grumpy enough that my husband and kids want to leave the house. How did you get through all those dishes????

N.B

Yummmmmy, i can vouch for this as i am eating it while i type! I substituted the hemp seeds for toasted sesame seeds, the hemp seeds were horribly expensive at my local health food store.
I have been following your blog since the start of the year and you have made some big changes to my diet!
It all started with me looking for recipes with quinoa flakes ( flake bakes my staple breakkie) which i had mistakenly bought instead of whole quinoa, and ever since i have found wonderful ways of eating salads and vegies that i could not have dreamt of, this has helped me succeed with losing 10kg in weight so far.
Many thanks to you
Your Aussie friend

Subbing out the hemp for sesame is a great idea! Yes, hemp can be very expensive. It’s pretty inexpensive here but I’ve heard that it runs a high rate outside of Canada. Great to hear you like the bakes, they’ve been my afternoon snack for over a year. Congrats on the weight loss and pushing toward your dreams, very exciting for you! Keep up the clean eating and amazing work, your body thanks you I’m sure ;)

Holly

When I saw this in my inbox, I had a feeling you were going to use cauliflower. Love the idea! It sounds so refreshing for a picnic.

Jennifer O

This is absolutely genius!

A Table in the Sun

You’re doing a beautiful job with photography.

Caroline

My store doesn’t carry hemp seeds, and I’d like to make this for dinner tomorrow. What do you think I could use as a substitute?

Oh no worries, Caroline. I just added them for protein. Feel free to use sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, even slivered almonds would work well! Enjoy :)