Ultra Green Smoothie

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on June 26, 2012

Our weekend filled with adventures and socializing was a nice break from spending my time alone in the kitchen. I love cooking, but sometimes a girl just needs a break!

It wasn’t until Monday morning that I realized I had absolutely no meals prepared for the day ahead. I had to wing it and pack a couple of nori sheets, rice and leftover sausage for lunch. The combination turned out to be quite good for the amount of time I put into the meal. Granted, you probably wont see a nori sausage recipe popping up on the blog anytime soon.

After a day of randomly eating whatever I could find, I decided to dedicate the afternoon to prepping a couple of meals to make the crazy week ahead a bit more manageable. The first (essential) recipe on my mental list was a fresh batch of vanilla almond flax butter. We go through the stuff at an incredibly alarming rate.

As I was licking the spoon… common you can’t say you don’t do the same thing when you’re making nut butters, I decided to throw a bit of it into a green smoothie for a invigorating afternoon pick me up. Avocado, banana, spinach, bam!

So easy, so delicious.

print, email or text this recipe

5.0 from 1 reviews

Ultra Green Smoothie
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 2 cups, 1 serving

The combination of avocado and banana makes this green smoothie as creamy as can be!
  • 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk or water
  • 2 cups organic spinach
  • ½ avocado, frozen
  • ½ banana, frozen
  • 1 tbsp homemade vanilla almond flax butter
  • 3 ice cubes
Instructions
  1. Place in your blender in the order of the ingredients listed, then blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.

Do you like adding nut butters to your smoothies? If so, what’s your favorite combo?

Min

Sounds yummy!! This will be great for my avocado a day challenge. After two weeks of eating it plain, I’m def looking for ways to shake things up a lil’ =). Thanks, Leanne! And I’m glad you had an exciting weekend! Mine was totally the opposite from you as I stayed in and recharged =).
Hope you have a fantastic day!!

I love your avocado challenge, such a great idea! When I was studying nutrition, any time I didn’t know the answer to a question on a test that said “list 5 foods that have X health benefit, mineral, or vitamin” I’d ALWAYS put avocado on the list. 9 times out of 10, I got the question right! Those babies are jam-packed with nutrients!

Kathy

Google the recipe for chocolate mousse pudding using avocados. It is yummy!

Ooh yes I do like nut butter in my smoothie! I think my fave is PB or AB and banana. I used to add a PB-flavoured protein as well until I realized that the number of fake flavourings in it probably weren’t doing my body any favours! Now I just stick to vanilla and add REAL food for a nutty taste!

Good call, Ange. I realized the same kind of thing with nut milks. Now, I just add water to my smoothies and a handful of raw nuts. Blend, and you have yourself a nut milk with ALL of the nutrients. Seems logical, right?

Jenny$1983

I’m so glad you wrote that, I thought the same thing myself a while ago – after all, that’s how you make homemade nut milks, right? :D So now I just use chilled green tea as the liquid for my smoothies, and if it matters that it needs a nut flavour I throw a few nuts in, or nut butter.

I’m making this for my post-workout recovery smoothie, but I’ll probably add some chocolate protein powder. I have some Maple Cinnamon Cashew Almond Butter with Chia, Flax and Hemp Seed (from Edible Perspective/Oh She Glows) that I look for every excuse to use :D

Wow, that nut butter sounds like a wicked combo! I’ve added green tea in my smoothies a bunch in the past, too. Such a great way to pump up your day!

Cheryl @ happy is the new healthy

YUM! I don’t think it’s a smoothie until you’ve added some nut butter. I just have to reign in the amount I add otherwise it’s out of control! I like to add a tbsp and sometimes eat the smoothie with a nut butter spoon if I’m really on a rampage…but by far my fav is cashew butter or almond butter, depending on the ingredients!

I’ve never added avocado–but I feel like I should probably have a post-bike ride smoothie tonight just to give it a go! Yours looks absolutely delicious. :)

I share your love for cashew butter, Cheryl. I have to avoid buying it as I turn into quite the nut butter mongrel when it’s in the house. Would love to know what you think of avocado smoothies once you give it a try tonight!

I’ve put peanut butter in chocolate smoothies or banana smoothies before! My sister loves putting almond butter in her smoothies :D

Janae @ Bring-Joy

I like blueberries & almond butter combo in smoothies.

Haven’t done it in awhile because I’ve been out of almond butter, but your recipe for almond flax butter looks promising & delish, putting it on my list of to-dos. I don’t have my Blendtec with me right now, just a vita-mix, will this do for making the nut butter? I’ve done butters before in the vita, & I always seem to have to add oil, otherwise it’s too try. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Danielle

I’ve never frozen avocado before! Cool idea. I love adding almond butter to smoothies! Always tastes great with banana, spinach and cinnamon.

caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy

i’m glad you had a nice weekend! that smoothie sounds delicious with the addition of that nut butter! YUMMM!!

Amy

I do occasionally add nut butter or peanut butter to smoothies. This vanilla flax butter sounds yummy. How long does the flax butter keep? does it need to be refrigerated?
Oh, and I finally made the no bake oatmeal cakes over the weekend. They are delicious and a perfect after workout treat!
I love your blog.

We like to keep in the fridge, yes. It’s only ever lasted about 4 weeks in our house just because we eat it so quickly.
Glad you like the cakes, they’re one of my favorite post workout treat, too!

Yum! I’m going to have to make your vanilla flax almond butter soon! Question – do you refrigerate your homemade nut butters? I never have felt the need to, but just curious of your thoughts on that! I like to occasionally add nut butter to my smoothies like peanut butter or chocolate hazelnut butter if I’m feeling crazy :)

chocolate hazelnut is a bit crazy ;) Yes, I refrigerate all of my homemade nut butters, raw nuts, seeds, chia, hemp, olive oils, flax… I need a bigger fridge.

Oh my goodness I would need another fridge since I share with two other people haha! What is the purpose for refrigerating all of that stuff, if you don’t mind me asking? Do nuts really go rancid?

Tell me about it. I’ve had to get creative in how I store them in the fridge for sure. They can go rancid, yes. I purchase many of my nuts and seeds from raw foods shops so I’m a bit paranoid on them going bad. Many of them should be okay in the pantry, just be sure to keep the items high in omegas in the fridge – like your chia, hemp, flax ;)

Tracy

My all time favorite is a banana spinach green smoothie with peanut butter. I have been trying to scale back on the peanut butter but find other nut butters just don’t do it for me. The only other nut butter I really enjoy in a smoothie is Barney Butter almond butter. YUM!

I know what you mean about scaling back. When I started tracking my food portions with my new training plan I was surprised to see that I was having at least 1/4 cup of nut butters a day! Problem. But a good problem, no? My tummy enjoyed it thoroughly!

jaime @ sweet road

It’s great to find recipes for these green smoothies that use just a few simple ingredients. A lot of times I’ll come across recipes that require ingredients or supplements that are not a common household ingredient. Thanks!

Simplicity is key for green smoothies! Thanks for the feedback, Jaime. I’ll keep that in mind for my future smoothies too.

your vanilla almond flax butter sounds soooo wonderful! I can almost taste the vanilla from here!

Thanks Averie, it’s a good one!

Cheyenne Holman

so simple and delicious. and speaking of nut butter, now that you’ve found you can have macadamias (saw it on the facebook page hehe) you’ll have to try macadamia butter- absolutely delicious. And blended with some lemon juice makes a brilliant icing!

:| macadamia nuts and lemon… I dig! Thanks for the recommendation, Cheyenne!

Brittany @ Eating Bird Food

I’ve been on a green smoothie kick lately and this one looks delish. I’ll have to try it soon. :)

Kankana

We all need a break … Yes! And drink not only looks pretty but so quick and easy to make

Lynda Bay

Wow! Soothing.. :) I always love avvocado..and that thick smooth green frost? It’s a must have.

Vera

Love your blog and recipes. Do you like to throw in superfoods like chia and hemp at all? I work with Navitas Naturals and our Smoothment campaign has some awesome ways to incorporate these in delicious way.s. I’m sure you could whip up some yummy stuff with our products.

Lindsey @ Pas de Deux

Wow, I saw this post yesterday and made this bad boy for lunch today. I threw in some fresh ginger that I had left over from a recipe I made last week. It is DELICIOUS! I love the creaminess of the avocado and banana!

It's Carmen

Fruits & veggies in one serving…gotta love an all-in-one recipe. I can’t wait to test this out; the green is so vibrant.

♥ It’s Carmen

Aaron

I absolutely hate bananas, but they seem to be part of the base for almost any smoothie I want to try. Can you taste the banana in this one or do the other flavors “mask” it? I am missing out on a lot of nutrients from certain foods because I don’t like a taste or texture.

Hi Aaron, you can taste it in this smoothie but what you could do is leave out the banana and sub for 2 medjool dates. Hope that helps!

Christina

I was wondering if the frozen avocado adds to the creaminess factor? can you add it fresh?

Fresh or frozen will work just fine, I just like my smoothies extra chilled!

Christina

ah ha! very cool ( no pun intended)!

Kathy

do you use whole almonds or sliced almonds in your almond butter recipe

I used whole almonds for this specific one but have used sliced, crushed, even almond flour for nut butters before!

CAmille

I was looking for real food alternatives. I like shakes in the morning and sometimes in the evening not just as snacks but meals. I’m usually cooking for one which can be boring. I really need to get rid of my addiction to protein shakes. The expense for mixes like shakeology are insane. I came across your sight and I love your green smoothie. Sweet and nutritious. Thanks. I will be looking forward to more of your great real food recipes. No more mixes for me. I think your ideas are really inventive and uniques.

Thanks Camiille! I did a post on 18 of my favorite smoothies here on the blog, may be a good reference post for you. Here’s the link: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/07/18-healthy-vegan-smoothies/

Camille

Thanks Leanne! Just added your healthy smoothie 18 recipes to my bookmark page. I’m looking forward to trying them all and lowering my insane food bill. Without meals out my food bill is about $450 a month, insane for a single person.

Daniel

hi Leanne,
i was wondering: does spinach can cause stomach cramps and diarrhea?

Hi Daniel – it sure can! Did you just have it in a small smoothie? Or have you been eating it for a couple of days?

Daniel

couple of days :-/

Hmm I would stop with the spinach for awhile, a couple of weeks and then reintroduce to see if it was the culprit. Sometimes people cannot handle a lot of spinach but it could have been something else, too. Hope that helps :)

Daniel

i thought maybe the Spinach was contaminated with some type of virus or bacteria.
any suggestions on what to eat to calm the stomach?

You could try peppermint tea, I’ve always had success with that when I have a sore stomach.

Daniel

i will. Thanks a lot :-)

An

Just found your site…it’s wonderful! I’m going to try this for my 2 year old and I for breakfast this week…it looks fabulous! She cant have flax…so I think I’ll sub almond butter? Anyway, thank you for sharing this great looking recipe!

I’m sure that switch will be fine. Smoothies are pretty forgiving. Would love to know how she likes it :) Another favorite among the kids is this key lime pie smoothie

Angie

Oh! The key lime smoothie – genius! She would Looove that too. Anything with zing she seems to love as do my husband and I;)
Pardon my ‘an’ name above…the ‘gie’ didn’t come through for some reason. Thanks again…you have no idea how helpful your site is to our family!!

Angie, got it. Silly form! A bunch of Mom readers swear by the smoothie, so thought I’d let you in on it too!