Raspberry Lemon Scones

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on May 28, 2012

My parents like inviting me over to their house for weekend brunches when Kevin’s not in town.

They say it’s because they miss me and figure I could use some company, but I know it’s just because they’re hoping I’ll bring muffins, cookies, coffee cake, cinnamon buns, or apricot breakfast rolls along with me.

I shouldn’t plead the victim here though. I love spending time with the family and am more than thrilled to bring along new kitchen experiments so they can taste test them before I post the recipe on the blog.

It’s a win, win in my books!

Instead of asking my Mom what she wanted me to bring to our family brunch yesterday, I turned to my sister. She recently went gluten-free and I knew she’d been having a hard time adjusting.

I called her on Friday to ask what treat she wanted me to make for her and she screamed, “RASPBERRY! Muffins, cookies, scones, whole wheat, fiber awesome, buns, anything with raspberries. I miss my Starbucks raspberry scones!”

Whole wheat, fiber awesomeness…

Okay, I think I can work with that!

I realized as I was planning out this recipe that I haven’t made scones in a very, very long time.

What’s up with that? They’re so easy, versatile, filling, and delicious.

… but I told my sister it was a challenge just so that she’d love me more.

I kid, I kid.

Inspired by Bob

print, email or text this recipe

Raspberry Lemon Scones
Author:
Allergens: Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 8 scones, 8 servings

Light gluten-free scones with chunks of fresh raspberries and shreds of lemon zest.
Dry
Wet
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Set aside.
  2. In food processor place flour, starch, palm sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda, ground flax, salt. Pulse on and off to combine the ingredients. Add coconut oil and pulse about 15-20 times or until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
  3. Combine the lightly beaten egg, ½ cup milk, vanilla extract and zest. Pour over the flour mixture and process for about 10 seconds.
  4. Scrape the dough into a bowl. Quickly, but gently stir or fold in the raspberries with a spatula.
  5. Sprinkle the baking sheet with a touch of sorghum flour and pat the dough to 8-inch circle, ¾-inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges, keeping the pieces attached.
  6. Brush the top with 1 tablespoon of milk and bake for 12 minutes, remove from the oven, separate the wedges and return to the oven to bake for another 10 minutes.
  7. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

I couldn’t be happier that berries are back in season! We have a u-pick farm a short drive from here and you’d better believe I’ll be visiting a couple of times this summer.

The ingredients aren’t too complex and are pretty forgiving, too. Feel free to sub out the lemon zest for extract, vegan margarine or organic butter instead of the coconut oil, and I bet you could even play around with replacing the sorghum flour with a 50/50 white rice and brown rice combo. I bet a flax egg (1 tbsp freshly ground flax mixed with 3 tablespoons of water) would work as a replacement for the egg.

Whisk all your dry ingredients together, then cut in the coconut oil with your food processor.

Pour in the liquid ingredients and pulse until until combined, then drop the mixture into a bowl.

Add your raspberries and mix with your hands or a spatula. I squished them all by accident. I think I was just a bit too excited.

Press the dough out into a circle on your prepared baking sheet. I used a bit of extra sorghum flour here to avoid it sticking too much.

Cut the circle into 8 pieces – I bet you could do 10 or 12 if you wanted smaller portions.

Then top with a bit of milk so that the scones get all crisp and brown.

I baked the scones in the circle like this for 12 minutes, then removed them from the oven, separated, and baked for another 15 minutes.

After the scones had their moment of stardom in my mini studio, I packed them up and we hit the road to my parents house.

My Mom has surrounded their home in the most well kept garden I’ve ever seen. The flowers are blooming, birds were playing in the bird bath, and their grass is as green as could be.

The same cannot be said for my garden.

Green thumbs skip a generation. I totally made up to make myself feel better  Or so I’ve been told.

We spent a bit of time outside before sitting down to a lovely brunch and chatting about what’s going on in everyone’s lives. Our family dynamic has changed so drastically over the years as my sister and I grow older. It’s fun to just chat with my parents like they’re our friends.

Leave it to my sister to be the classiest one at the party. The scones did excite her, but she was mesmerized by that ham!

For those celebrating, I hope you’re all having a fantastic extended weekend… back to the grind for me!

Holly

This is an interesting recipe for me as I’ve been trying to figure out a vegan scone, but I’m having trouble getting the right texture. How are these on scone texture? Are they crumbly?

I wish I would have tried to make these vegan, too I just didn’t want to have the recipe mess up because I was in a rush to get to my parents’ house. They are the perfect scone texture! I was quite happy with them. Crumbly and amazing!

Woop woop look and this fancy shmancy new blog design!! I like it!! :) I also like these scones. I know there are a few u-pick’s near my house and how crazy is it that I haven’t been to any of them yet?! I think I’ll need to change that soon. Sounds like your scones were a hit!

Thanks Angela! You need to hit up a u-pick! They’re so fun.

Jessica

These look lovely, nothing quite sums up a sunny spring like raspberries :)

LizAshlee

Num num…those look so tasty! I notice you use sorghum flour often in your baked goods…can you tell me what it tastes like or is comparable to? Thanks!

p.s. Luv the new header..the tree is so cute with lots of color!

That’s a tough question! Just had a little nibble of another scone just so I could see. It tastes a lot like bran to me. Does that make sense? It has a nutty taste that I just love!

Amanda

We have a u-pick blueberry farm just up the street, when it is open, me and my dad go crazy picking them. They are our family friends so when I go with my dad, they let me eat as much as I please as my dad picks, we leave with a huge bag, and a tummy ache, so worth it, I don’t ever need dinner. Usually we go at least two times a week when it is open, we have a hard time picking enough to freeze for the rest of the summer. Needless to say they are my favourite berry, maybe even fruit. I found a recipe for this exact scone the other day, nice to have it gluten free! Thanks Leanne

Come to think of it, I don’t think there was ever a time I left a u-pick without a tummy ache! You’re not alone on that one, that’s for sure. It’s so great that you and your Dad get to spend that time with one another.

Tamikko

mmmm, great recipe! I can’t wait to get some raspberries now :)

Stephanie

What u-pick is it that you go to? I am always on the lookout for a good u-pick near Calgary!! I would really like to find one that has strawberries!

Hi Stephanie – there’s a chemical free u-pick right outside of Edmonton that I like to go to on the weekends. It’s a couple hours drive: http://www.happyacresupick.ca/index.htm or there’s http://www.bluemountainbiodynamicfarms.com/ there’s another place near Airdrie but I’m just checking on whether or not their chemical-free. Hope that helps!

Hi Stephanie – just confirmed… buckler farm may be of interest to you – http://www.bucklerfarm.ca/index.html They do not use any pesticides or herbicides on their produce.

barb

These sound yummy. Yes, can i use some other gluten free flour other than sorghum? And I do have tapioca flour in my cupboard….is that the same as tapioca starch?

You should be able to get away with replacing the sorghum with buckwheat, quinoa, rice or teff flours. Tapioca flour and starch are very, very similar. Often their names are used interchangeably. Enjoy!

I love fresh raspberries. Such a delicacy! None would have actually been left to make it into scones in my house :)

That’s the problem in our house, too. When I buy berries I have to hide them from Kevin, it’s a huge problem.

Kristina

I am currently attempting a vegan scone. *sigh*

these look lovely, and the photos are great – love the pink eyelet! :D

You are too nice to your sister :D I’m sure the only reason she loves you now is the scones…KIDDING!!!

Gorgeous flowers!

katie @KatieDid

I’m starting my first garden soon also, hoping for some luck with it. And I LOVE the new layout of the blog… very fun and creative.

I was supposed to start one this past weekend but we’re still getting frost warnings. Maybe I’ll get around to it this weekend. What are you planning to grow, Katie?

B @ Crags and Veggies

I love how flaky and moist these scones look with the gluten-free flour! Thanks for posting yeast free recipes!

Dayanna

1. I am so excited for this recipe!
2. This recipe gets me so excited for berry season!
3. I love that neon nail polish your rocking ~ its just as bright and beautiful as your new blog design

I was in a crazy neon mood on Friday before I hit the town for some Mexican food with a bunch of friends. I’m rocking neon blue on my toes to complete the look! Glad you’re excited about this recipe, Dayanna!

char eats greens

Look at you all kind to make your sister whatever she wanted :) I would love to see a face-on shot of your sister because from the ham picture, I thought it was you!!

I need to get more gluten-free baking ingredients so I can start making these recipes. Especially these scones. I really could go for a good scone :)

Yayy for scones! I made my first scones for Mother’s Day and went with lemon poppyseed.. we loved them! Adding raspberries would have been a great idea. This recipe looks mouthwatering… and how the heck did you get such a PERFECT circle when cutting the scones?! Why can’t I do that?? Haha :)

Oh ya! I remember you saying you were going to make those scones. Glad they worked out! Had I not had to take a picture of it, that circle would have been oval shaped. So much patience is required when you have to take a picture of what you’re making!

Baking Serendipity

I love scones! Your raspberry/lemon pairing in these looks fantastic! Such a sweet recipe for your sister.

Mikelle @ Zen Thyroid

The website looks beautiful! And the scones..well, the scones look yumtacular. Let me know if you need another sister :)

haha a girl can never have too many sisters! Thanks for making me laugh, Mikelle ;)

Danielle

Hi Leanne,

When I find a great recipe, I store it in my file to make it…soon, sometime. But I always end up making every single one of your new recipes within days!

I made the scones tonight! It was so lovely to drink a cup of Pero with my husband, and have a fresh scone!

I have one question: in the end, the dough was definitely too “wet”, and I ended up adding at least another 1/4 cup of flour. Did you also start with 1 and1/4 cup flour and then add some extra?

Hi Danielle – I’m so happy that you like my recipes! That’s so fantastic. I found the dough to be a bit too wet for scone dough too, but decided to just go for it with the 1 and 1/4 cup. The consistency turned out perfect so I didn’t bother making a second batch. I did flour the surface as I was shaping it into a circle, probably added an additional 1 tablespoon or so in the process. I hope that helps!

Maria Fusco

These looks de-lish! In order to get my very picky 4 year old son to eat these do I think I can substitute mini chocolate chips for the raspberries?? They will scare him away. Lol.

Lovin your blog girl! Keep up the awesome work!!

Maria…aka. Mom on a mission. :))

Hi Mom on a Mission! Sure thing, you could certainly replace the scary raspberries for chocolate chips. I’d remove the lemon, too. I hope he likes them!

Maria

I was thinking the same thing about the lemon…thanks so much! Fingers crossed he eats them. Lol. Love love love your blog! :)

dena

Hi. Could you use whole wheat flour for this recipe>

Thanks

Hi Dena – I’m sure that you could, however I haven’t tried it. Good luck! Be sure to let us know if you end up trying it :)

Dena

Hi again. I just re-read the recipe and saw the tapioca starch/flour. Do you know if anything else could be used like just flour?

Thanks!

Hi Dena – if you’re using regular flour I would just replace the tapioca with extra flour.

dena

Thanks for your responses! I havent made it yet, but I will be soon. I just want to leave a comment about your portobello orzo with lemon mint cream sauce though. For some reason there is no way to leave a comment on its page. I made it last night with button mushrooms instead of portobello and no mint. It was very good. My 14 year old loves it!