Grain-free Lemon Poppy Seed Protein Cake + Vegan Version

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on April 11, 2012

The day I realized that hemp protein powder could be transformed into a cake was a moment I’ll never forget. I wish I could say that there was a master plan behind it all, but I’d be lying. I found it by complete accident.

It was a blustery November evening and I was craving a batch of down down chocolate power muffins. Problem was, I didn’t have coconut flour… but I didn’t let that stop me, no, no. I searched the pantry for an alternative and came up with a half-empty container of hemp protein powder.

How a food blogger lets her pantry get down to being empty of all flours is beyond me. But magically, it worked. Heck it more than worked, it was a miracle! Since then, we’ve enjoyed chocolate, vanilla, vanilla berry, banana, and now lemon poppy seed. I swear, I’ll take a break from these for awhile just after this post.

When I find a healthy treat that works; and I mean really, really works, I’m hard pressed to deviate from it. Why mess with a good thing?

One thing I have messed around with; especially lately at the request of many of you, was transforming this healthy treat into a vegan delicacy.

Now all of us can rock the high protein, high fiber cakes!

Let the baking begin…

Grain-free Lemon Poppy Seed Protein Cake

Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

Pack additional protein into your day with a gluten-free lemon poppy seed cake for one.

Yield: 1 cake

Servings: 1

print, email or text this recipe

1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until fully incorporated.
  3. Drop mixture into an oiled 6oz. oven safe ramekin.
  4. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

View nutrition info

Grain-free + Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Protein Cake

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

Although not as puffy as it’s egg-filled counterpart, this vegan protein cake is delicious, moist and still comes in at over 15 grams of protein!

Yield: 1 cake

Servings: 1

print, email or text this recipe

1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until fully incorporated.
  3. Drop mixture into an oiled 6oz. oven safe ramekin

The vegan version will not puff up as the egg version does and are quite moist, but just as tasty! In fact, Kevin and I liked this version more!

View nutrition info

Have you tried your luck in the kitchen with random ingredients and accidentally created something really, really good?

Healthiful Balance

This is one awesome looking protein cake! It actually doesnt look like a protein cake.. more like a rich chocolate cake. Yum! :)

Cheryl @ happy is the new healthy

I still haven’t tried one of your little cakes but they look awesome! Another one to add to the list of options…yum!

Mmm lemon poppyseed is one of my favourite muffin/cake flavours! I’ve done a lot of ingredient substitutions to make dishes healthier in the past. One I really like is using crushed Triscuits rather than panko breadcrumbs. They make a great crunchy crust for fish and chicken!

YAY! Looks great :D YUM! I do like hemp, but I find it a bit grainy in some recipes….I really need to work with it more.

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile

Looks delicious. I don’t have poppyseeds but maybe this will work with chia?!

Hmm I’m sure you could! Chia may soak up a bit of the liquids in the recipe, so you may need to add a bit extra.

katie @KatieDid

Awesome recipe Leanne- reminds me a bit of the lemon poppy seed cookies I made a few weeks back. And successful mistakes are always welcomes.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats

That looks so good, I love single-serving recipes!

barb

i made your banana one a while ago, and it worked out really well…kinda puffy. But that was with my whew powder. I’ve now switched to vegan protein powder, and it will not puff up! I use the egg whites too…..my protein powder has all the different proteins in it, like pea, rice, and hemp. ??

Hi Barb, I haven’t tried these cakes with the protein combination, only with hemp protein and have always resulted in a puffy cake. Because there is rice in there, you may be able to get away with adding a bit of baking powder into the mix to allow for the ‘puffage’. 1/4 tsp should do the trick!

You make the best looking little cakes!

Why thank you, Averie! ;)

Sophie

Leanne, I don’t buy the egg-white cartons. Could you tell me how many egg whites that would be just from “normal” eggs? Also, could you also just use a whole egg? If so – how many?

Thanks :) and thanks for the vegan version – it’s great to switch it up :)

Hi Sophie, 1 egg contains about 2 tbsp + 2 tsp of egg white. So, for 1/4 cup you’ll need just about 2 eggs. I haven’t tried to make these bakes with a full egg but my gut tells me they’ll be a bit firmer using 1 egg (equates to 1/4 cup) vs. the egg white. What you may want to do if you decide to use 1 egg instead, is to add maybe 1 tbsp of non-dairy milk or apple sauce. Hope that helps!

Paulina (One Smile Ahead)

I’m so excited to see a vegan grain-free recipe! :] I love the high protein content too. The cake looks like breakfast perfection. Thanks, Leanne! Cannot wait to try it out!

what katie's baking

this looks like the perfect healthy breakfast to me.

Nora @ natural noshing

Yummy! I really need to give hemp protein another shot, especially since you are raving about it! I’ve only had it in smoothies and it was more grainy than I expected :) I haven’t written it off!

Richa@HobbyandMore

thats one protein filled cake!

Kerry

Hi Leanne
Thank you for so many wonderful ideas for healthy tastes!
Just wondering if I could substitute other protein powders for Hemp? such as whey, pea, rice or egg white protein? I can get all of those but no luck with hemp so far :(

Tamie cox

I cannot use coconut oil is an oil that i can substitute. I am allergic to coconut.

Sure thing, any type of oil will do the trick!