Cardamom Vanilla Porridge + Exciting News!

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on April 20, 2012

We’ve been experiencing dreadfully cold mornings with rain, snow and lots of wind.

Chilly mornings don’t exactly put me in the mood for a cold smoothie for breakfast, but they’re guaranteed to bring on a craving for a bowl of warm and nourishing porridge!

I could have gone for the obvious oat-based porridge, but I wanted to try something different yesterday morning. I used my sweet coconut pudding (coconut payasam) recipe as inspiration, subbed out the rice noodles for amaranth and quinoa and used coconut oil instead of ghee. Oh, and added some rose water. Gotta have that rose water in there!

We have loads of amaranth in the pantry that I bought over a year ago and still haven’t used up. I’m sure you could make this porridge with 100% amaranth, I just don’t like the gooey quality of amaranth on it’s own, so I combined it with quinoa. Millet would probably work, too!

print, email or text this recipe

Cardamom Vanilla Porridge + Exciting News!
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2 servings

Gluten-free amaranth and quinoa porridge infused with rose water, cardamom, and vanilla bean.
Instructions
  1. To open the coconut: use a sharp kitchen knife, cut into the young coconut until you reach it’s hard core. Using a rubber mallet, hit the top of the knife until you feel it break into the core. Spread apart the sides and allow coconut water to drain into a glass or mug. Place the knife back into the slit and continue to hit the edge of the knife with the mallet until the coconut breaks in two. Alternatively, once you feel you’ve cut through it enough, you can pry the two sides apart. Scoop out the meat with a spoon and dice small.
  2. In a medium sized saucepan, combine coconut oil and coconut meat. Saute medium heat, stirring constantly until coconut is browned, about 4 minutes.
  3. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes with the lid on. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes with the lid on to thicken. Remove the cardamom and vanilla bean pods and serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.

You can find young coconuts in basic grocery stores anywhere. They’re much easier to open than the brown coconuts, which would also work for this recipe.

Start by inserting a sharp knife into the top.

Then take a rubber mallet and hit the top of the knife until it breaks into the hard shell.

Flip the coconut upside down to drain the water into a large bowl, then pry it open with your hands, or the knife.

Scoop out the flesh, and you’re ready to go. Easy as could be!

My favorite part was sauteing the coconut. I grabbed a couple of pieces just to make sure the process was yielding the proper result ;)

Mmm vanilla bean specks are my favorite.

On Wednesday, I posted this Facebook update…

and wouldn’t you know it, it did!

I’ve been keeping a secret from everyone, including many of my closest friends. But the final details were approved on Wednesday which meant I could finally share my ridiculously exciting news with the world…

I quit my full-time marketing job!

While I was in India, I learned that life is too short not to embrace what you love, take chances, and believe in yourself. And, that I could truly do anything I put my mind to, regardless of how scary it was.

The day I got back to the office from my trip, I went into my bosses office and told him I wanted to leave. It was one of the most intense moments I’ve ever experienced. I was doing something without having a clue of what the outcome would be. I didn’t have a plan, hadn’t rehearsed anything, just knew that this was the right decision.

That was a month and a half ago. I’m not one to be able to keep a secret like this so I’m pretty proud of myself for holding on to it for this long.

As of August 1, I will be a full-time blogger and holistic nutritionist. Working for myself, living out my dreams, and smiling every darn minute. Ah!

Meg Kelly

Congratulations, Leanne! You are so inspirational…I absolutely love your blog and can’t imagine that you have done so well while working full-time! Wow. I’ve just put a link up to your site from my blog so my readers can find your goodness!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

Congrats! It’s so great to see someone following their dreams!

Ohmygoodness, Leanne! This is huge! Congratulations and good luck! I know you will be amazing :D

Also, when I saw your first picture I was like, “What? Why would she put onion slices on her cardamom porridge?” And then I realized it was coconut meat…haha silly me!

I thought it was apple slices!

haha better than onion! Gross.

Aly

Wow! Go you!!! I absolutely love your blog and agree with you 110% that life is too short to NOT do what you love. You should be enjoying and appreciating every single day, not just the weekends (although those are good too ;) I’m just getting out of college this year and I’m happy to say I have a million different jobs and “back-up jobs” in case I don’t like the originals. Personally, I don’t have to have a lot of money to be happy, I would much rather do what I love and be somewhat poor than stick with a job I hate just because it pays.
Anyway, I congratulate you in having the courage to do something most people cannot do. Kudos to you for putting yourself out there and I will continue to read your blog (as always) :)
Best wishes! -Aly

Brianne

That’s great, Leanne! I thought your news would either be that, or that you’re releasing a cookbook. (I bet the cookbook is next!) Congratulations. And by the way, I figured out a grain free naan… Stop by my site. :)

Cheryl @ happy is the new healthy

CONGRATULATIONS! You are really inspiring–following your bliss and working with passion and all that good stuff. :)

Misha

Fantastic news!! Reading this post as well as your journey through India series has given me (and I’m certain plenty others!) an opportunity to examine my own life and current path. Thank you for the inspiration; making a big change like this is never easy, but seeing your courage in forging ahead is truly inspiring, and reassuring to those of use still on the edge of making such decisions. Tip o’ the hat to you madame!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile

Congrats!!! That is amazing! :D

Sarah

Oh wow, that’s so great! Good for you :) I bet it will be amazing!! Also your breakfast looks really yummy :)

Izabela (yoginiselfportrayal.wordpress.com)

Congratulations on your decision. I did that too,,,it was very scary but at the same time the best decision in my life. Good for you!!!

Kris

yeeee, CONGRATS, Leanne! great step for you, I know this focus will open many more opportunities for you!

I LOVE amaranth, and always combine it with millet (in concoctions similar to this one!). I need to get my own coconut saute on… ;)

Your news this week was just as exciting! I really do love your fisher price house. It’s so beautiful!

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay

Wow! Congrats on leaving your old job and starting a new one! I’m so excited to see all the recipes you’ll come up with, now that you will have more time devoted to the blog. Can’t wait :)

Evan Thomas

Congrats, Leanne!

Wow, Leanne. This IS exciting news!! It makes me happy knowing you are happy! This reminds me of a question I wanted to ask you about your trip to India. I would love to go on a trip one day for an extended period of time (a month or two, maybe three!), but I know that one of the biggest challenges I’ll have with that is being able to take that much time off of work. How did you go about this and handle it? Or was that job pretty flexible in letting you take time off?

I’m excited to see what new opportunities arise for you and all the new yummy recipes you create for us :) I can’t imagine working full-time AND running an AMAZING blog like you do in the first place! Props to you!

And for this porridge, it looks delicious. I’ve never tried cardamom so I’m not sure what it tastes like. It’s pretty expensive wherever I see it, so I’ve never bought it. Have a great day Leanne! :)

Thanks, Andrea! I’m pretty pumped… and scared, but I know it was the right choice! Regarding my time off: I get 4 weeks vacation with the company I work for now so I maxed it out for this year. They were really good about giving me the time off just because I’ve been there for so long and I planned it half a year in advance. Hope that helps!

Andrea G

Congrats!! Some of the scariest things in life turn out to be the most rewarding. If you managed all of this with a full time job, I can’t wait to see what you are capable of devoting all of your time to the blog!!!!

I can’t wait either. I have so many dreams and goals I’d like to accomplish through the blog. Is it August yet? I’m ready to get a move on.

That is so exciting! Congratulations!!! I can’t wait to hear more about your “new” career. :)

OMG Leanne, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so so proud of you and I admire your strength to make this choice. You’re pursuing your passion and I bet you will feel so amazing while doing it. You inspire me! :)

Thank you Angela :) Have an amazing trip. I can’t wait for you to share your stories!

The Blissful Baker

Yum! I love anything coconut :)

Major congrats to you, Leanne, for following your dreams and instincts and for having the kahnunas to quit your tried-and-true job and to venture out on your own and do something outside of the box but that you’re passionate about. WAY TO GO!!!!!

Wooo! Thanks Averie :) I’m so thrilled to finally be able to share the news. It was eating me up inside.

Lindsey

That is so exciting, a huge congrats! I think its so great you are living your dream. I am still too scared to do it myself, but one day I hope I can take the plunge!

When the opportunity presents itself for you in your life, I think you’ll surprise yourself at just how willing you are to leap forward, regardless of how scary it is!

Melaina from Rudi's Gluten Free Bakery

MMmm who doesn’t love a good bowl of morning porridge! I love how you used a mix of wonderful and healthy grains! Also, congrats on the big news!! Living out your dreams is what everyone should get to do at some point in their life!!!

bird

Congrats! You are truly an inspiration :)

Laura

Congrats Leeann! so inspiring, now you’ll have all your energy to put into the things you love and that give you fulfillment in life. <3 happy friday!

Annette

Congratulations!!! I know it takes a tremendous amount of courage to take this kind of a leap and I truly hope that this will give you the space you need in your life to be the best you can be. Well done.
Annette

To be the best I can be – I love that, Annette! Thank you for your support :)

Serena

Oh Leanne; that’s fabulous news. Congratulations. I know you’ll be a success.x

Molly

Congratulations, Leanne! Having done something similar 2 years ago, I have to say that it was the best decision I ever made. Good luck with everything, you will be great!

Thank you, Molly. It’s great to hear from people that are on the other side of it all and loving every minute!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty

That is AWESOME!! Congrats – I know you’ll be amazing at it! I know I look to you for guidance on things already so it’s exciting to see what’s to come! :)

I’m honored that you come to me for guidance, Jessica :) I’m pretty excited, too!

Frugal Jen | Frugal, Freebies and Deals

Good for you.. I didn’t even know you had ANOTHER full time job!! Blogging and doing what you do here IS a full time job!!

ps.. you made those coconut donuts yet..?

jenetta

Thanks Jen! I sure did make them. You’re right, they had a lot of honey, but they were so good. I’ll be coming up with a couple variations in the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

Frugal Jen | Frugal, Freebies and Deals

nice.. I did a chocolate version today that I used 1/3 cup palm sugar and 1 1/2 tsp stevia- tastes great!

jenetta

sophie

You followed your heart and that is so inspirational, because it is much easier (unfortunately) to stay on the safe side.

Thanks for sharing :)

Tracy

You are a strong woman, congratulations!

Heather G

That is very exciting news!! Good for you!

Josie

Congratulations on such an exciting and liberating decision!

…and now I want to scrap my dinner plans and make porridge.

Hey, who said porridge for dinner was a bad thing? haha Thanks, Josie :)

Kelsey

Congratulations Leanne on the exciting news, and following your dreams!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan

Congrats, Leanne! :)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva

Leanne I am so happy for you! You’re such an inspiration living your most passionate life and sharing it will all of us. India seems like it was a life-changing experience and I love hearing about all your adventures. Again congratulations and hope you have an excellent weekend xox

Paulina (One Smile Ahead)

Congratulations! Way to go for following your dreams! :] It takes a lot of courage. I’m so excited for you!

Dayanna

Congrats! What a brave leap of faith and so inspirational
~ can’t wait for all your full time blog posts :P

chris

like already mentioned, it’s so much easier to “not step on the cracks” & stay on the safe side instead of actually living life; love that you had the balls to go to india alone, clearly was a great thing for you. keep kickin ass! truly inspirational. congrats :)

Lou

Congrats, this is so exciting… embrace this new journey with an open heart and good things are sure to follow :)

Marisa

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I just made the same decision a couple of weeks ago and isn’t it just the greatest feeling?! Even though I just started and my husband will have to support me for awhile, I came to the same realization you did, that life is too short not to embrace what you love. You are such an inspiration to so many people and it’s just awesome that you get to follow your dreams full time. :) I’m so happy for you!

It IS the greatest feeling. I think I’m still trying to come to terms with it. I guess I wont fully understand what’s happened until I wake up that first morning and realize THIS is my job. I can’t wait for that feeling. Good luck with your journey as well, Marisa :)

Mel

Wow!! That is so exciting Leanne and I am so proud of you!! I often wondered how you could manage this blog and a full time job and do such an amazing job! Your blog has such a high standard of quality already I can’t imagine what you will be able to do with an extra “40″ hours a week!! Congrats, you so deserve it!!:)

I often wonder the same thing, Mel. I run on autopilot most of my days I suppose. Thanks for your support, I’m excited for those 40 hours!

Katerina

How exciting, live your dreams girl! I appreciate it as well (as I’m sure others will) as you’ll have more time to inspire me through your fabulous posts. Been following you for a couple of months and will continue. Thanks for all that you do!

Holly

Congratulations! Life is way too short. I’m lucky to have a husband who agreed to let me have only a part time job while I pursue writing and try to figure out what else I want to do with my life as sitting behind a desk from 9-5 would kill me. Easily.

It’s so important to find a passion in life and not just a job. I hope your nutritionist practice takes off and I know you’ll do great. And I’m looking forward to more blog posts!

Shelby

I cannot congratulate you enough. This is so fantastic and truly inspiring for all of us, bloggers and non-bloggers alike. I now look forward even more to my daily Healthful Pursuit emails, as I want to support your choice in making THAT your full-time! You did the right thing for all the right reasons.

char eats greens

CONGRATS! That’s awesome news!!! I know that young coconut too ;) I’ve seen it in Superstore and almost died of happiness! haha

Terra

Oh how wonderful!!! CONGRATS:-) I so agree, life is too short, enjoy every moment of it! Hugs, Terra

Alta

Congratulations! What a leap of faith. I’m going to live vicariously through you until I get the guts to do something like that, mmkay? :)

Simone

Honestly, when you were hinting around, I totally thought you were going to announce you were pregnant, lol!
Congratulations on your decision!!! I know how hard it is to drop all those safety nets that we build and just follow your heart! But you know, if you don’t make the space in your life for great new things, they just simply won’t have space to show up!! Big Thumbs up to you!

Oh my goodness! Nope, no baby in this house :) Thanks, Simone. You’re so right, you need to make the space for the things to come, I love looking at it that way!

Jane

Congratulations, that is so exciting! I dream of being able to do that one day … maybe someday, but I can’t wait to hear about your experiences! Life is too short, you are so right! And I’ve totally got to try that with coconut, it looks so good!

anguilla

This is my first post (I have been stopping by for a while though :)

Your news makes me happy, that means even more great recipes and inspiration and education, right?

And this recipe is exciting – I’ve now had to cut out oats again, I got rid of them a while ago but tried to reintroduce a month ago and they just don’t work for me :(. Much sadness. So thanks for the non-gluten, non-oats recipe!

Thanks for stopping in and saying hello, and for your supportive words. Yep, it’ll mean more time to focus on the blog for sure! I’m in the same boat with oats. Every time I try to reintroduce them I get some major stomach issues. So sad, but this porridge does make up for it!

Erica

That’s awesome! I’m so happy you get to pursue your dreams. Life is truly too short :) Big hugs to you

Sara

Way to go! Live the dream!

I think even knowing where your heart lies is half the battle. I have been in my full time job for almost 17 years now, and I’m still not sure what I want to be when I grow up. I hope to get there one day :)

Kelly E.

Ahh, this is amazing :) Congrats, Leanne! I did the same back in January and 4 months later it feels incredible. BEST of luck to you!!

Sophie33

Congratulations on quiting your boring job! Good for you! :) That’s great news for you & also that you will be a full-time blogger! Yeah for us too! I love your unique take on lovely recipes! Your recipes never fail me, never!

You are a true inspiration! :) Happy times! ;)

Sophie33

I love this tasty recipe too, of course! :)

Lesley

Wow, I already thought you did this blog full-time. I can’t believe you had a job! Congrats on your career change. I can’t wait to see what more you do with this blog, it’s already so great!

lou

i was totally waiting for you to announce a bundle of baby joy on the way! lol. oops!
this is so awesome! congrats!! life is too short to not be doing what you love. not only will you be doing just that but you will be sharing your wisdom and knowledge with others and in turn you will be making the world a better place!
p.s. i am amazed that you were doing this blog while holding down a full time job. i seriously don’t know how you do it. must take some mad organization skills, which i lack ;)

Cara

Yay! I’m so proud of you! When I gave my notice (after some personal life-changing moments too) it was one of the scariest moments of my life. But all the support I’ve gotten – including from my boss- reinforces that it was just meant to be. In the month I’ve been working from home, doing my own thang, it’s like I have my old self back. It’s crazy fun dreaming up all the possibilities and knowing there is time to go after them. You’re gonna be so happy!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Oh my gosh… how did I miss this incredible news?? Leanne, I am so so happy for you girl! August 1 will be the first day of the rest of your life! I know it sounds cheesy, but it is absolutely true. The day I walked out of my job (over 7 years ago), I had never ever been happier! Every single day I wake up filled with gratitude that I can do what I love for a living. It is so fulfilling. You are going to love every minute of it. Congratulations, you totally deserve this! <3 xoxo

Thank you, Beth :) I remember you saying how much you loved working for yourself – how happy you are, and full of love for life. You’re very inspirational! Be prepared… when you do go to India… it will CHANGE your life. Living proof. Didn’t see this coming!

Brittany

Hey lady – I’m not sure how I missed this big announcement, but your moving announcement today led me back to this one. Major congrats on following your passions!!! I hope to do the same thing someday. It’s definitely a scary decision so I admire you for taking the leap. Congratulations and best wishes.

Thank you, Brittany! The first month working for myself has been ridiculously awesome. Scary, yes… but so rewarding! I have no doubt you’ll take the leap when the stars align ;)