20 Healthy Gluten-free Power Snacks

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on April 18, 2012

Whether you’re training for a big race, hiking, biking, or taking the dogs for a long walk, an increase in activity requires us to choose the right foods to fuel our day. There’s nothing worse than going for a hike and realizing the sugary granola bars you packed are making you feel tired and lethargic.

What snacks should we be eating? The best approach is a whole foods one – snacks that have less sugar, lots of fiber, carbohydrates for before your activity and a good ratio of carb, protein and fats following.

I could go on and on about what’s best, but going through a list of my favorite gluten-free (and often vegan) power snacks is far more fun. Wouldn’t you say?

Let the chin wiping begin!

1. Tongue Twisted Buckwheat Berry Binge Bars

*vegan*

I remember my first bite of these bars. My immediate thought was – why didn’t I made more filling?! Instead of the usual wheat flour base with oat topping, I used buckwheat, almond flour and oats for this delicious sugar-free treat. The filling also doubles as a porridge topper. Mmm!

2. 5 minute Breakfast Cup-cake

*vegan option*

I do far better fueling with fats that I do with carbs. It took me awhile to realize that I could make a cake from flax and coconut, but when I did… oh boy did I make up for lost time!

3. Runners Repair Cookies

They may not look like much, but I’ve had plenty of compliments on the taste of these cookies. They’re light, packed with protein, and will refuel you after an intense workout. These were my go-to snacks last season during my half marathon training.

4. Blueberry Banana Cake Bars

I prepared these bars while Kevin’s family was visiting from Germany last Spring. They’re made with buckwheat, chickpea flour, packed with blueberries and sweetened primarily with mashed banana. They made for a great healthy road trip snack.

5. Gluten-free Multigrain Rosemary Crackers

*vegan*

One thing I miss about not eating gluten is the availability of delicious crackers. There are lots of gluten-free crackers out there, but many have cheese, corn, or are just made from less-than-optimal ingredients. With a little bit of testing and tweaking, I came up with a cracker that ensures there will be no glutenous cracker swooning in our house!

6. Rise and Shine Muffins

A visit to a Starbucks in London, England inspired this sugar-free, grain-free muffin. At just under 170 calories per, you can feel good about indulging in one on your way out the door, packing in your child’s lunches, or just making a batch for yourself on a sunny/snowy Wednesday morning.

7. Goldilocks Scones

*vegan*

These grain-free scones aren’t too big, too small, too sweet or too filling. They’re juuuuust right… and packed with raisins, maple, pecans and almond goodness!

8. Banana Drunk Macaroons

I dreamed of these while completing an intense set of laps in the pool at our local gym. I was so hungry and couldn’t get the thought of banana flavored clouds out of my head. Hey, you do what you can when you’re pushing yourself to the max and I’m not ashamed to admit that banana clouds are my safe place.

9. Raw Cashew Lemon Drops

*vegan*

I love LARABAR but hate paying the $2.50 per bar. These snack balls have similar ingredients to lemon LARABARs but at a fraction of the price and I’d like to think they taste better, too ;)

10. Raw Spirulina Energy Crunch Bars

*vegan*

Dehydrated or frozen, these 6 ingredient bars helped me make it through my afternoon workouts last race season.

11. Tropical Quinoa Health Bars

I love a big bowl of quinoa porridge in the morning, but sometimes time isn’t on my side. For moments where a sit down breakfast just isn’t an option, I turn to bars, muffins and cookies to deliver my nutrients in the AM, and these quinoa snack bars do a wonderful job at it!

12. 5 Ingredient Chewy Vanilla Coconut Cookies

Oh boy, this recipe is major weakness of mine, and from the looks of it’s popularity, it’s yours too. 5 ingredients, 20 minutes, and these coconut packed cookies are yours for the taking.

13. Tofu Miso Balls

*vegan*

I came across this recipe years ago when I was trying to find a vegan appetizer for a Christmas party. Since then, I’ve probably made upwards of 24 batches. You can make them ahead of time, dress them up with sauce, or dress them down by eating them plain. Either way, they’re delicious!

14. Overnight Banana Almond Pudding

*vegan*

I enjoy my morning smoothies but if I’m forced to take them out on the road with me and they get all soupy, my love for them decreases minute by minute. There’s nothing like a smoothie that’s been watered down by melted ice, yuck! When I don’t want to fall victim to a soupy smoothie, I make a batch of banana pudding. It has just 4 ingredients, can be made the night before, and enjoyed hot or cold.

15. Vegan Banana Bread Animal Crackers

*vegan*

I love banana bread, I love animal crackers. It’s about time these two recipes joined forces. This list just wouldn’t be the same without them.

16. Cinnamon Raisin Flat bread

*vegan*

This flat bread recipe was my absolute favorite repair snack after cycling classes last season. Paired with nut butter, fruit spread and seeds, you have a snack that no store-bought product can beat!

17. Candy Apple Macaroons

*vegan*

The cousin of the banana macaroon, these sugar free apple and coconut morsels are light, refreshing, sweet and healthy.

18. Chocolate Hemp Runners Repair Bars

Hemp protein may not be my favorite smoothie protein powder, but it certainly makes up for it in it’s ability to act like a flour in some of my favorite high protein snacks.

These little morsels are fantastic as a take along in your gym bag and a consistency similar to a soft cookie. They’re quick to make, portable, sugar free, tasty, and will save you loads of money on store-bought energy bars.

19. 5 Ingredient No Bake Fudge Drops

*vegan*

Everyone gets a craving for something now and again. My vice, is chocolate. While I could just grab a handful of dairy-free chocolate chips, it’s not all that enjoyable for me. When my chocolate craving strikes, I come up with things like healthy fudge balls to keep me entertained.

20. 100 Calorie Beary Simple Cookies

*vegan*

Sugar-free foodies need to have fun, too! At 2 grams of sugar and 100 calorie per cookie, these bears are great for lunches or a pick me up snack any time of the day.

Officially drooling over here.

What’s your favorite power snack?

Cheryl @ happy is the new healthy

Well, I’m drooling. And thinking of throwing away my Clif bars cuz I’ve got so many recipes to replace them with ;)! Thanks.

Michelle@PeachyPalate

Have you tried making the coconut cookies with flax egg or do they only work with egg egg???
Loads of great recipes! :)

Hey Michelle – I haven’t personally tried it, but I’ve had a couple of readers email me saying they did and it worked for them. Enjoy!

Michelle@PeachyPalate

Oh brilliant, I’ll give it a go at the weekend!

I love every. single. one of your snack recipes!! Mmmm…I’ve been wanted to make your berry binge bar so badly!

Oh wow, I don’t even know which one of these to start with! I might have to bake up a few of these when I’m in Australia to share with my friend who’s getting married – she loves sweet things, especially anything to do with chocolate (helloooo fudge drops!)

Iris

Leanne, looking at that wide array of snacks just makes me salivate! I just got my braces so Im unable to have them. Cracking my head and hunting for softer and more pureed recipes. What a pity! Im missing your fudge drops, muffins, macaroons, cookies real bad! *sad

Oh no! This won’t be forever though right? I had braces twice and if I remember correctly, I just had to eat soft food for the first couple of days…? There may still be hope for you yet!

Tamikko

Thank you so much for these recipes. They are exactly what I need for protein and to get me on some healthy snacks.

So many great snacks under one roof! This took awhile to compile and I appreciate this list…now I’m feeling snacky after seeing them all :)

Deanna U

You continue to amaze me, you clever gal! Thanks for grouping these all together for us. I better get baking! You rock!

kristy @ coconutmama

Oh these are great! I have been lacking in the snack idea department. Not anymore!!! I have been enjoying your blog by the way. So excited to try some of your recipes!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile

I am seriously drooling on my computer!!! Thank you for this round up. I want to make all of them :D

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner

This post is making me drool. YUM!!!!!

Robyn

Love these posts with a summary of amazing recipes! Cant wait to try them!

Lauren A. @ Newest Obsession

umm, i think i just bookmarked ALL of these recipes! they look awesome and excellent fuel choices for my triathlon training. thanks!

Laura @ LunaChickRuns

Awesome post, thanks! Just yesterday I was lamenting to one of my coworkers about how I need some new snack ideas. Perfect, I am excited to try some of these!

Jo @ LivingMintGreen

Oh my goodness, I LOVE all of these. I’m making the bfast cupcake for breakfast this week… or maybe dessert tonight.

Paulina (One Smile Ahead)

This post couldn’t have had better timing! I just shared what a difference eliminating gluten out of my diet has made for the past two weeks. I want to try all the recipes! The breakfast cup-cake is totally happening tomorrow morning.

Have you ever tried Z Crackers? I recently got a package of the Red Onion & Rosemary ones from Foodzie and OH my goodness, I was hooked. I completely forgot about that rosemary cracker recipe you have and it totally reminds me of them, I so wanna try it! The only thing is that I don’t have sorghum flour, teff flour, or tapioca starch. Is there anything you’ve tried subbing these with or anything you know of that may work? Anyways, I love this recipe round-up! So many things to add to my “to-make” list :)

Just read the note on the bottom of the recipe saying to play around with the flours, etc. DUH! I should probably read the whole recipe before asking!

Hmm no, I haven’t. They are gluten-free? Will need to investigate! Hmm sorghum = chickpea flour, teff=buckwheat and tapioca=potato or arrowroot. Do you have any of those? I’m just guessing, never tried it… but should work!

Oh, no they aren’t gluten free :( I’m sorry I wasn’t even thinking when I asked that.

But I do have those substitutions, I’ll have to try it out!

No worries at all! I’ll look into them for my non-gluten-free clients… always good knowing of other great products to recommend!

Jeanette

Leanne, what a great collection of gf power snacks. Pinned and shared on FB!

Mojdeh

Hi there,

Thanks for all the inspiring recipes :) … I’ve just started to go gluten free and I’ve noticed that many of your recipes and also recipes I found on other blogs use almond flour. Unfortunately as much as I love almond I am allergic to it :( Do you know what would be the best substitute for almond flour to achieve the same texture and taste?

cheers,
-Mojdeh

Hi Mojdeh – I’ve stopped using almond flour as much in my current baking, so stay tuned for more almond-free recipes. Can you handle other nuts or seeds? Chestnut flour, hazelnut and ground sunflower seeds can get you the same results most of the time.

Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry

These all look amazing and have me drooling. Where do I start?!

If I had to start anywhere, it would be with the lemon cashew balls. Those things are MAD good!

Holly

These look like great snacks. The flat bread sounds fantastic. I’ve been going through corn cakes with various nut spreads like nobody’s business and it’s getting old. Can I substitute the coconut with anything in that recipe specifically? I think I might be allergic (getting tested next month hopefully.)

Also, I seriously need to get my hands on some flax seed…

I think the recipe will be okay without the coconut. Good luck in your allergy test next month!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva

Celery and PB or tahini with raisins. It’s a childhood favourite I’ve never gotten sick of. Although those animal crackers look very tempting!

Jenn

Just made the 5 minute breakfast cupcake topped with nut butter and having with a glass of almond milk I just made as well. It is DELICIOUS! Perfect and filling after a hard workout on a cold rainy day. thank you for everything you share on here!

Homemade almond milk, too? Wow, that sounds like one heck of a post protein snack! Enjoy the rainy day, Jenn.

Leigha

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You are a complete genius!!!! I am so incredibly thankful for this post!!! I have an almost three year old and I am nursing my four month old.. today i was starving!!! With n.o.t.h.i.n.g. to eat. So thankful for all of these amazing recipes!! Can’t wait to get into the kitchen! :)

Jack Sims - Chief Nut at Tiger Nuts USA

Great list of Gluten Free Power Snacks, and we would like to add just one more, and the chances are you have never heard of them. Try Tiger Nuts, they are gluten free, organic, high in fiber and packed with energy.
We believe they are the healthiest ‘single source’ snack food on the market, and you can find them at http://www.tigernutsusa.com

Cate

Amazingly delicious sounding power snacks, and they’re gluten free!
Thank you Leanne! I’m searching around for new protein snack ideas whilst being out and about riding, hiking and walking that aren’t just tins of tuna or a pikelet. Added to the mix is a low FODMAP diet so there is a limitation to nuts/seeds and the always helpful dried fruit. Your snacks provide many options and I cannot wait to try these out! :)

Kim

Wow! I was just looking for at least one GF healthy snack to make for a skiing clinic I have tomorrow and now I have so many recipes to choose from that I can’t decide which one to make first! Thank you!

Ms. B

Thank you so much. I have been spending a small fortune on energy bars of every kind. Now I have these great, easy, healthy, sugar free, gluten free and dairy free recipes! YAY!!! Thank you so much!!!!