OJ Lean + Green

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on March 12, 2012

He’s a cold, cough and flu, immune fighting machine.

Rich in vitamins and minerals, he has health-promoting phytonutrients and flavonoids to pump your guts full of powerful antioxidant protection.

He’ll serve and protect, disarming free radicals and preventing damage in the aqueous environment both inside and outside your cells.

He has so much Vitamin A + C that he’s licensed to kill anything in his tracks.

Who is he?

Mr. OJ Lean + Green and he’s here to protect our immune system from all those nasty coughs and sneezes going around these days.

I had too much fun writing that.

I think it’s completely healthy to pretend your meals and snacks are super heroes.

Plus, is there a better way to get your husband little ones to drink something green than pretending the food has super powers?

[print_this]

OJ Lean + Green

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

He’s a cold, cough and flu, immune fighting machine… in juice form.

Yield: 500mL or 2 cups

Servings: 1

• 4 cups spinach
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 2 oranges
  • 1 cucumber

• Wash all your veggies!
  • If you have a ‘low’ setting on your juicer, use this setting for the juice.
  • If you do not have a juicer, just add everything to your blender with 1/2 cup water and blend until you can’t blend no more. Choose to either strain out the pulp by passing through cheesecloth, nylon or nut milk bag. Or, keep the pulp for added nutrition benefits. It’s not too bad with this mix!

View nutrition facts

[/print_this]

Seems like everyone is coming down with one nasty cold or another in the last few days. I don’t think there was an hour that passed on Friday where I didn’t hear someone experiencing a fit of sneezes, coughs, or running nose.

No thank you! I’ll stick to my tasty juice and avoid it all.

What steps have you been taking to avoid getting sick this season?

(Oh yes, and don’t forget to enter my Rise Bar giveaway!)

I agree – foods ARE superheroes! I hope you’re not too sick after coming back from your trip! I’ve been pumping in as many greens as I can lately, as well as heaps of maca, wheatgrass juice/powder, colourful fruits and veggies (go go vitamins and minerals!!) and gallons of water. Here’s to hoping I’m done for coughs and colds for the season!

Katarina

I love the color of this :)

CUTE! love this post :D Love Mr. OJ Lean + Green :D

katie @KatieDid

haha love it! I don’t do anything in particular actually, I was blessed (knock on wood!!) with a strong immune system!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss

Lucky us, we JUST bought the ingredients to be able to make this!!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

This sounds perfect! Greens with the taste of oranges. I’m in love. :)

Cheryl @ happy is the new healthy

This sounds pretty delicious, and I’ve got all the ingredients kicking around. It’s like it was meant to be! Thanks for the blender option too.

Kris

Amazing! I love orange, but rarely eat them or drink them!! Strange…I really should ;)

Greens make me happy! LOL!

xxoo

Courtney

Do think this would work well with grapefruit? I have no oranges, but I have a ton of grapefruits slowly going bad that I need to use up.

I’ve never tried it, but I’m sure it’d work. It might be a bit bitter so if it is, you could add 1 apple to sweeten it up slightly!

I feel healthy just by looking at this! Gorgeous!

raechel @the rebel grrl kitchen

What a great idea! I just posted about a cold-busting smoothie, but now I want to make this juice! Thank you! : )

sophie

I have a question that I have always wondered about green smoothies and juice (I am not sure why I never asked before)…
Is it still beneficial to consume them if the produce is not organic? Are you still getting the same (amount of) vitamins and nutrients?

Thank you and sorry if this is a stupid question.

I am not Leanne (obv.:)) but thought I’d share my two cents. It is still beneficial to consume green smoothies if the produce is not organic. This is not a stupid question at all! However, you want to definately make sure you wash your veggies very well. You could use a wash like the one Leanne linked to, or even make your own by combining one cup water, one cup vinegar, 2 T. baking soda, and 2 T. of lemon juice in a spray bottle. You can spray this on your produce and let it soak for ~5 mins. then rinse off.

You are still getting [pretty much] the same amount of nutrients from the fruits + veggies, but there recent studies that show that organic produce, or organic food in general, contain higher amounts of 12 essential vitamins & minerals, and higher amounts of antioxidants.

I have to correct myself.. I think I am mistaken about containing higher amounts of 12 vitamins & minerals. Organic foods have been found to have higher amounts of vitamin C, iron, phosphorus, and magnesium compared to non-organic. Sorry!

Thanks Andrea! I don’t think I can add to anything you just mentioned, agreed, agreed, agreed!

sophie

thanks so much for your reply. i appreciate it a lot!

All the juices you make are so vibrant in color! I’m not sure if you’ve said this before, but what juicer do you use? I’ve looked at different ones online, but since I’ve never used one I’m not sure what to look for! :)

Iris

Probably the perfect post for me! In the aftermath of a nasty cold. How dreadful! However merely reading your lovely post makes my day, Leanne! Off to make it right away! Leanne, I don’t have kale. Any substitutes for that?

Oh no, seems like everyone’s coming down with something. Hope you’re feeling better soon, Iris. No kale? Just add more spinach!

Donna

This looks wonderful…but I, alas, have been avoiding oranges due to concern regarding the glycemic factor and insulin-triggering possibilities (especially in juice/liquid form)…Does combining it with the green veggies counteract this possibility?..Thanks for any insight!

If you’re concerned about the GI for sure, do not juice! What you could do is blend this mix and remove 1 orange. The ridiculous amount of fiber (about 14g) helps to maintain a balanced blood sugar level. Hope that helps!

Mikelle

Yum! I’ve been downing lots of viamin C this winter to saty healthy. I’m also rotating my greens to make sure I get some of everything. Thanks for the breakfast idea – on my way for a date with the Vitamix now :)