Apple Spice Fruit Dip

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on March 23, 2012

Spring is here, life is good, opportunities are abundant, and we’re kicking off the weekend with a fresh recipe!

There have been some major changes happening in our life recently, things I’ve dreamed of forever but didn’t think were possible… until now. I’m embracing opportunities that I was afraid of in the past, grounding myself with self confidence, believing that I can do anything, and trusting in my decisions. It’s powerful and so freeing!

If you haven’t tried this, you must. It’s awesome.

I’ve realized that lack of self confidence, negative self talk, and a limited understanding of what I truly wanted out of life closed me off from experiencing life to the fullest. I’d always say I wanted to change things, follow my intuition, and embrace change, but I didn’t believe in myself enough to trust I could do it.

While I’d love to tell you everything that’s going on right now… I can’t share it just yet! It’s quite unnerving to have to keep something so exciting bottled up when you’re used to sharing your life and experiences so openly. The last 2 weeks have tested my patience and; let’s be honest, I don’t exactly have much patience to test.

So for now, let’s enjoy the first weekend of Spring, maybe dust of the barbecue and grill a couple fennel dippers, and treat ourselves to some awesome fruit dip.

Who’s with me?

Apple Spice Fruit Dip

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

Slather this simple applesauce based dip on any fruit. Enjoy for breakfast, snack, or whip up for your first barbecue of the season!

Yield: ~1 cup

Servings: 4

print, email or text this recipe

• 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/3 cup roasted cashew butter
  • 1 tbsp brown rice syrup, honey, maple syrup, or 10 drops liquid stevia (optional) *see note
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp all spice

1. Place in your blender in the order of the ingredients listed, then blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.
  2. Store in an air-tight container. Should keep for 3 days.

note: if honey is used, recipe is no longer vegan.

View nutrition info

Or, we could just make this on a Friday night and drink it with a straw.

I wouldn’t judge!

Ok first, this looks AHHHHmazingly delish. I don’t even think I’d need any fruit – just the dip would be fine for me! ;) And second, I totally agree with you on the living life to the fullest, wanting change, but not being quite sure of yourself yet. It sounds like you’re a little bit ahead of me on this process, but I can’t wait for your big reveal!! Have a great day Leanne!

Patience is the hardest thing in the world for me. Can’t wait until you can share!

This dip looks awesome. I am soooo ready for sumer-y fruits and a lot of time eating them in the sunshine.

I am so excited for you and can’t wait to hear about these big changes! Every day when I read your blog, Leanne, you inspire me to live life even fuller than I had the day before. Thank you!

The flavors of this are probably out of this world delicious! It sounds and looks fabulous!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

This looks amazing! I have made something similar with chickpeas, but I never think to use cashew butter or cashews. I guess that’s because I don’t keep them around as much. I need to change that!

Heidi @ Food Doodles

This looks so good! I’m always looking for fruit dips for my kids(ok, ok, and myself!) and this looks absolutely perfect! I will be trying this in the near future for sure :)

Jenn

Looks awesome! Instead of cashew butter, can you use peanut butter or even better the Justin’s Maple Almond butter?

I’m sure you could use any nut or seed butter you wanted and it would still taste good!

katie @KatieDid

I keep picking up applesauce at the store then second guessing it and wonder how I would really use it, putting it back. And you keep giving me reasons to buy it. This sounds like it’s be a perfect filling breakfast to eat plain, instead of grains.

haha I remember your comment from last week about apple sauce… should come up with another recipe for next week just to put the final nail in that coffin!! Yes, you’re SO right, this would be an awesome breakfast just plain!

Even though you may not believe in yourself all the time, I thought that I would chime in and tell you that your blog has inspired me to become a Holistic Nutritionist! I have always wanted to but followed a different path. Now, I am working on a Master’s degree AND the holisitic nutrition courses. So, thank you for being you!

Divya Yadava

That sounds like such a creative use of apple sauce. I always have some lying at home, so I can’t wait to try this out…maybe with peanut butter, just ran out of cashew butter!

Iris

Leanne, that looks so tempting! Gona get cracking right away. You got me to realise that I can stay healthy by making such healthy food, Leanne! Yes, YOU! I chanced upon your site a year ago. Comprehensive information and you are just so real and amazing! Sharing your personal experiences and every nitty gritty stuff. I luff it! Im your fan though I might not comment on every post you make! [= Enjoy your weekend!

Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry

I am going to a party tonight and this dip is PERFECT for it. I can’t wait to make this-sounds incredible!

Mikelle @ Zen Thyroid

This looks delicious. Anytime I can use (fill in the blank) butter, I’m IN! Your pictures are always so amazing. Good luck with your big secret – we are all rooting for you :)

Mel

Oh Leanne, you can’t tell you have big news and then not tell us!!:) Now the suspense is killing me!ha! Well if it is something great you totally deserve it! You do so much for others! Can’t wait to hear:)

Robyn

So very, very good,,,had it last night,,with my breakfast this morning and my lunch this afternoon!! Overkill?? I don’t think sooo

no such thing as overkill for this dip! Glad you like it, Robyn :)

Katie G

I made this dip today and had it on toast!….and on a spoon. It is actually just calling my name from the fridge, it’s nearly impossible to NOT eat this all at once!

Messy Jessie

YUM! This looks amazing. I need to get me some cashew butter STAT.

Nellie

I made this with almond butter and no extra sweetener, it is very yummy!

Keturah

I didn’t have all the ingredients, so I took this idea and went a different direction with it. The applesauce was the inspiration I needed to add a creamy texture. I used almond butter, applesauce, one banana, agave, vanilla, and some chocolate syrup. It was like a dessert! Super yummy. Thanks for the inspiration!

Yum, sounds great!

Jaime

I made this and really enjoyed it! It was nice to have something different and healthy to dip fruit into. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I found it through Pinterest so I featured it on my blog: http://pinterestprojects.blog.com/2013/02/20/applespicefruitdip

Cool that you have a pinterest project! That’s so fun. I’m really happy that you liked the recipe, Jaime. Thanks for sharing it with your readers :)

Leaf

This dip is so delicious! I really could just eat the entire batch for breakfast. What a great combo — cashews and apples and cinnamon. :)
Thanks so much for the recipe! It’s a keeper.

Hey Leaf – so happy that you liked it!