Healthful Hints: Transitioning to a Winter Diet

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on January 25, 2012

My recording software is working again which means I’m finally able to post another episode of Healthful Hints!

In this episode we’re chatting about:

• The changes we can expect when winter is upon us
  • What foods we should be consuming during this season
  • My favorite winter meals and desserts

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCctObukzWw

Each of the four seasons offer specific practices and wisdom that can translate into positive changes to our diet. Staying attuned to the current season benefits our health, overall well-being, and gives us an excuse to eat more… fat.

Come to me, my dear coconut oil. I’ll keep you safe and warm during the blustery days ahead ;)

Notes

5 of our favorite winter casserole recipes that I mentioned in the video:

1) Lazy (wo)mans cabbage roll casserole

Kick the rice cooking, cabbage blanching, sauce making, and meat cooking to the curb with these extremely quick and easy way to prepare cabbage “rolls”. Throw it in the oven and forget about it!

2) Comforting Baked Mac n’ Cheese with Bacon

This dairy free mac n’ cheese is a real crowd pleaser. Keep the kids happy with the deep orange color of the “cheese” sauce and surprise the adults of the group with the smoky, crunchy topping. Or, prepare on the weekend and pop in the freezer for a weeks’ worth of healthy frozen lunches!

3) Hunters Pie with Herb Gravy

The herb gravy gives this casserole a lighter, undeniably unique and delicious flavor (and makes loads of leftovers for freezable lunches!)

4) Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie

A dairy and gluten-free healthy chicken pot pie made with homemade vegan mushroom soup.

5) No Fuss Jambalaya Bake

The most popular casserole on the blog, this 4 step casserole will be the healthful answer to your busy weeknights!

For more information about the importance of seasonal eating, be sure to check out this video.

What foods do you gravitate toward in the winter?

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous

I always want warm soups in the winter and they’re a great way to eat tons of veggies!

Mmm the jambalaya sounds good! I definitely crave a lot fewer raw foods in the winter and gravitate more towards cooked veggies. I try to steam them as much as I can but sometimes I don’t have time and have to boil them (sorry nutrients!) Something about warm food is jut so comforting in winter! I also tend to eat a lot more soups and stews.

Great video!!! I usually gravitate more towards cooked veggies and stir fries. Anything warm! And big bowls of oatmeal.

All of these ideas are wonderful – but the pot pie is calling my name. :)

Wintertime is all about tomato sauce for me. I can’t get enough Italian!

katie @KatieDid

Everything is cooked for me in the winter. I can’t really stand raw veggies for some reason. But in the summer its all about big raw veggie salads.

Good ideas for the winter but I hope that spring is on the way! I am thinking winter…go away and bring the warm and sunny weather my way :)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan

I can’t get enough curry when the cold weather hits.

Carolyn

Great tips! Thanks for sharing. You seem so comfortable in front of the camera. I have not yet worked up the courage to do any video.

Loved this Healthful Hints, I was wondering when you were going to post a new one! :) Think I’m going to have to go home and bake an apple for a snack tonight :)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva

Jambalaya looks yummm!!! I always gravitate towards soups in winter. Chicken noodle is my favourite. Such a classic!

TeenyLittleSuperChef

Thanks Leanne for all the yummy casserole recipes. Especially that Jambalaya. I don’t eat meat but I think substituting some tempeh or vegan sausage would still make it taste awesome. By the way, what kind of casserole dish did you use for it? I love the red color. Is it Le Creuset? Wish I could afford that stuff :)

I WISH it was Le Cruset but alas, it is just a knockoff I found at Value Village for $1 :) I make all of my casseroles in Corningware. I bet a vegan version would be just as delicious!

Kathy

In the winter, I gravitate towards things like muffins, oatmeal, toasted/microwaved cheese sandwiches, almost anything warm!
The mac n cheese looks WONDERFUL :]

Lou

Oh my!! Can it be winter forever??? Bacon annnnd macaroni?! You might be my soul mate.

Jessie Hook

Hey, thanks for the article.Much thanks again. Really Great.