Healing and Repairing my Digestion: Part IV

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on January 18, 2012

For more on my healing and repairing digestion series, check out: Part I, Part II, Part III

Horray for day 3, the last day of our journey!

We’re saying goodbye to juices and hello to whole food smoothies, puréed soups, and colon hydrotherapy.

But before we get into the nitty gritty, I thought I’d share my day 2 juice experiences with you all:

• Day 2 was much better than day 1. The hunger subsided and I was filled with lots and lots of energy, at least for the morning
  • Come the afternoon I started to feel hungry, tired, lethargic and a bit volatile. I decided to drink about 1 liter of juice in an hour or so and felt way better afterward
  • I chose not to workout
  • The gurgling continued in my intestines for the entire day
  • I continued with the warm ginger and lemon water
  • My digestion was improved from day 1
  • Fresh fruit popsicles are awesome!
  • No headaches or stomach pains
  • My sinuses are so ridiculously clear, it’s astounding. This may point to sensitivities or allergies to some of the foods I generally eat. I’ve structured today’s plan around incorporating foods slowly so that I can hopefully determine the culprit
  • In total, I drank 2000mL of juice, 2500mL of water, and ate 3 dixie cup sized popsicles.

I’d love to extend the cleanse to five days but seeing as this is my first one and that I’m heading to India in a couple of weeks, I’ve decided to see what these three days do for me and reassess whether I’ll need to do another one when I get home in March.

Today’s menu

I’m beginning the day with a vegetable + fruit based smoothie, moving on to introduce seeds and nuts in the mid-morning, welcoming the afternoon with a bit of juice and; if all goes well, finishing with a bit of plant based protein and grains.

A couple of notes

• Now that I’ll be having solid foods again, I plan on having 1/2 lemon or 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar 5 minutes before eating to assist with hydrochloric acid stimulation
  • No nuts today except almond milk to see if I’m sensitive to it
  • No animal proteins
  • Minimal grains and proteins, slowly adding in over the next couple of days

Some questions that may come up from today’s post…

How should someone come off a juice cleanse or fast?

If you’re embarking on a juice cleanse for more than five days, it’s advisable to transition back to your diet by consuming pureed fruits and steamed vegetables for at least two days followed by whole grains, fish, beans, seeds, and oils for the following two days.

Why the minimal amount of protein in today’s plan?

When on a juice cleanse, you want to slowly reintroduce protein into your diet. It can take several days for your body to get used to more protein and other heavier foods coming in, especially after a smoothie or juice cleanse that’s comprised of vegetables and fruits only.

Because I was on a small two day juice cleanse, I should be okay with adding in lentils today and animal proteins in a couple days time. You want to be particularly mindful of your transition plan when you’re cleansing for a longer period of time.

When I was preparing to take pictures of these recipes last night, I was curious to know whether they were any good. They smelt amazing, but I’ve learned that that’s not always a good indication of a perfect recipe. After the shoot, I poured them in mason jars and tucked them away in the fridge for the morning.

I woke up an hour before I generally do just so I could take a little sip of them. Partly because I wanted to actually try the recipe before posting it and another part because well, I haven’t had food in 2 days haha

Okay… let’s get to this darn smoothie already!

[print_this]

Caramel Apple Green Smoothie

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar-free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

This smoothie is everything I imaged it would be. It’s sweet, caramel-like and just down-right tasty.

Yield: 500mL or 2 cups

Servings: 1

• 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 frozen apple
  • 2 tbsp sunbutter
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 2 medjool dates, pitted
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • pinch salt
  • 2 ice cubes

Place in your blender in the order of the ingredients listed, then blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.

View nutrition facts

[/print_this]

[print_this]

Sautéed Fennel and Lentil Soup

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar-free, Yeast free, Corn free

This puréed soup is delicious and comforting. I completely forgot I was on a cleanse while I indulged in my first spoonful.

Yield: 500mL or 2 cups

Servings: 1

• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 small sweet potato, diced – yield ~1/4 cup
  • 1/4 fennel bulb, sliced – yield ~1/3 cup
  • 1 cup vegetable stock
  • 1/3 cup cooked millet
  • 1/3 cup cooked lentils

1. To cook the millet, rinse and drain 1/4 cup raw millet before placing it in a small saucepan. Cover with 2/3 cup water. Cover and bring to a boil on high heat. Then reduce heat to low. Cook gently without stirring for 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside.
  2. Place the olive oil, onion, sweet potato, and fennel in a medium saucepan on medium-low heat. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring often until sweet potatoes are tender.

Non-power blender version: Add vegetable stock to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and pour in your food processor or blender. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until smooth.

Power blender version (like blendtec or vitamix): Drop sauteed vegetables in blender with all other ingredients. Turn blender on low, progressing to high and run for 2-3 minutes until soup is hot.

View nutrition facts

[/print_this]

There you have it, my first juice fast is complete!

Your words of encouragement this week inspired me to continue on with this little project. I’m hoping that these three days have done wonders to my digestive system and overall health, but I guess only time will tell!

Thanks for being there for me :)

Also, the winners have been posted for the stevia giveaway. Check them out here.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva

Woohoo!!! You made it…and I’m sure your guts will be 10 times better for it. What meal are you looking forward to eating now that your detox is over?

Woot! haha I’m really looking forward to that soup later today. It tasted so good when I had a bit of it this morning! I think I’m going to be doing smoothies for the rest of the week. Just looking forward to some sustenance!

Oooh I can’t wait to try the caramel apple green smoothie! Thanks for sharing all of this Leanne – It’s great to learn about juice fasting and it’s something I’ve always been curious about. Loved hearing your perspective and how it’s been positively affecting you. :)

Bri

The caramel apple smoothie looks a-frickin’-mazing…. Going to have to try that one! Great job on the fast… Looks like the Ida to recovery is in sight!!!

I start every day with a giant glass of water mixed with 1T of apple cider vinegar. It’s been great for the “digestion.”

That soup looks awesome! I’m a huge fennel fan, and of course I believe sweet potatoes should be eaten as often as possible. Yummy!

Katie

I’m drinking my caramel apple smoothie right now and it is pretty good!
I am just wondering though if you could explain why everyone always uses Mejdool Dates vs any other kind. What are they benefits? They are almost double the price in the stores. What is the best way to keep them? Can they be frozen?
Thanks! Way to go on the cleanse!

I’m glad you like the smoothie, Katie! I’m sipping on mine right now, too :)
From what I have available at the store – it’s either medjool dates or honey dates. I don’t like honey dates as I find them too hard and far too sweet. Also, the softer the dried fruit I find the better for digestion. Whether that’s been ‘proven’ I’m not sure, I’ve just found that with my own experimenting. If all you’re using dates for is sweetening things like smoothies, honey dates will work just fine. But if you’re interesting in making date balls (something like this – http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6006564) then medjools are far more pliable. Hope that helps!

Cara

You are seriously inspiring me… This entire series is really something I need to try! My system has been doing some funky stuff lately…

katie @KatieDid

I want that smoothie! What a way to break a juice fast, I think I would have bounded out of bed also with that waiting for me.

I just polished off the last of it. It was SO worth the wait, my gosh!

Lori @ Laurel of Leaves

So glad your juice fast went well! I know I’ll be referencing your great recipes and tips when I do one. It’s one of my goals for this year!

sophie

Hi Leanne :) Thanks for this Series and for the great-looking recipe. I will be trying it soon.
I have 2 question about: “•No nuts today except almond milk to see if I’m sensitive to it”.

1) How does doing a cleanse help one figure out which foods they may be sensitive to?
2) When you add back a food (in this case – you are saying almond milk), what are the symptoms to look for that would indicate a sensitivity?

Thanks so much <3

Hi Sophie – I’m happy you liked the series :)
1) Since I haven’t had food in 2+ days, my body has had a bit of time to re-adjust. Although it’s not as optimal (when you’re testing for sensitivities you should be without the food for a couple of weeks) but because I noticed instant relief on the juice fast, I assumed that when I add it back in, I would start to feel something.
2) I’m looking for stomach pains, clogged sinuses, gas, belching, head aches, just irregularities.
Hope that helps!

Jeralyn

I wanna try the caramel smoothie. Does it make a lot? Could you divide it into 2 servings…calories are a little high.

It makes 2 cups of smoothie. You could separate into 3 servings, or reduce the dates to 1 and/or sunflower butter to 1 tbsp. Hope that helps!

So glad you have enjoyed this fast Leanne! And seriously, with the amazing juices and now this smoothie and soup today, it doesn’t sound bad at all, it’s almost like indulgence ;) haha! I was thinking, I bet kelp noodles would be a great food to eat while slowly going back to more “solid” foods. So light, yet so crunchy and yummy! :) Add some steamed brocolli with coconut and you’re good to go!

Thank you, Andrea! Kelp noodles are an awesome idea. I’ll grab some this weekend!

Ariffa

All I could think while reading this is “how did this girl manage to eat popsicles in this weather!!!?”
You rock.

haha I was SO cold but just kept going back to the freezer for more. I made a batch of coconut milk ice cream for snack tonight and ended up eating it right before a bath!

Jeanette

So glad you’re feeling better after doing your cleanse. Both this smoothie and soup sound so clean, I can only imagine how much your body appreciates this cleanse.

Katy

Great smoothie and soup ideas. Very happy to have found you. Congratulations on making it so far!

KatT

Hi- I’ve been following your progress and am hoping I can muster the cajones to do a fast soon! (I did the “master cleanse” for 5 days some yrs ago, but it wasn’t the greatest experience- aka slow torture *sigh*)

One question- do u use all organic fruits + veg? I haven’t had apples for a few wks b/c I don’t want to buy non-organic- what’s your thought on not eating them at all or eating potentially pesticidy apples (they’re on the dirty dozen list). Does the fiber/health value outweigh the chemicals? Thanks for this labor of love (blog)!

Hi Kat – I follow the dirty dozen and clean 15 lists so save a bit of money on groceries. I don’t feel that it’s necessary to buy everything organic, but try to stick to the dirty dozen list. If I slip up once in awhile though, I don’t beat myself up over it. If I’m craving strawberries in the dead of winter and there’s no organic ones, I’ll go for the non-organic! 80/20 rule :) Hope that helps!

LizAshlee

Great detoxing recipes!!

Stephanie

Hello! I suffer from severe bloating and have found HCl supplement helpful.
I’ve been into the whole traditional/paleo eating lately; I was wondering what your opinions were on bone broths? I’ve made them only once but I’m not sure if it’s worth all the preparation and etc.
Great to hear your juice-fast worked and I’d love to hear more tips & suggestions on improving digestion!

Great to know about the HCl! I’ve found it to be really helpful, too. Bone broths are fantastic! They have loads of minerals and bone healthy ingredients. I’d say continue with it if you can!

Cheryl @ eatplayluvblog.com

I can’t wait to try this! Do you need to have a frozen apple? I’m going to experiment anyways…this will be a perfect post-swim recovery treat!

I’ve never done it without frozen apples, but I’m sure it would still work, just may not be as cold. Enjoy!

Libby

OMG Leanne yum! I just made the caramel apple smoothie and it is so good!! I’m thinking that a caramel banana smoothie could be done by swapping in frozen banana and still using the dates.
Thank you for your awesome recipes!

Mmm caramel banana sounds good! I found that the dates added to the caramel flavor, so you may want to do half and half?

Penny

I didn’t get the caramel apple taste, but this was yummy, and a great way to incorporated sunflower seed butter into our diet! Thank you!

Kathleen

I am loving your posts and recipes. All the info you give is great. I was looking at the Caramel Apple Smoothie and wondered until I get some of the Sunbutter is there something I could use in it’s place?
Thanks Kathleen

Hi Kathleen – I’m so thrilled that you like my work! For sure, I’ve heard people use almond butter… if you have that handy?

Erika

So after the cleanse did you find any allergies? I’m wondering how you find out if you are allergic to a food after you introduce it again. Do you get a head ache or feel sick?