Healthful Hints: How Candida Can Impact Our Health

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on December 9, 2011

Candida is a hot topic around these parts.

In today’s Healthful Hints we’re chatting about why Candida overgrowth is harmful to your health, how to avoid it, signs and symptoms to watch for, and steps you can take to address overgrowth if it becomes an issue for you.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr2m-f7OMTw

Notes

The candida spit test: as I say in the video, this isn’t 100% reliable, but will give you a good idea if candida may be an issue for you.

The more reliable candida stool and blood test offered by Genova Diagnostics can be found here.

You can find some more information about my candida journey here.

My favorite candida supporting treats include,

100 Calorie Beary Simple Cookies

Yeast Bustin’ Carob Clusters

Jam-packed Protein Cakes

Have a Healthful Hints topic you’d like me to cover? Leave a comment below and I’ll try my best to cover it in the weeks ahead!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Great video and super duper informative. I’ve always wondered if I had/have issues with candida. Thanks so much for sharing.

PS you look great Leanne ;)

Thanks, Beth! Have an awesome weekend :)

LizAshlee

Yum…I luv all the recipe idea…the carob coconut cups look amazing! Excited to watch the video as I don’t know much about candida..thanks for sharing! Happy Friday!

Erin

This is so crazy! A few months ago a friend of mine found this really random (so I thought) cookbook called the Candida cookbook. She thought it was perfect for me because I do research on Candida for my Phd. I didn’t realize it was actually a thing still because the cookbook is really old. But Candida is definitely a problem, at least from my point of view – being a problem in immunocompromised patients.

Wow, I had no idea about the effects of candida! I don’t think it’s really an issue of mine right now, but I’ll probably try these recipes anyway because they look so darn delicious! Happy Friday Leanne!

People in general have no idea about candida, systemically, or what it is, how it impacts our health, how to treat an imbalance, etc..I know I was clueless til maybe 6-7 yrs ago. Had no idea about any of it!

Great post…and great treats :)

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous

Great tips! It’s so easy to forget how things we eat impact so much more than just our weight.

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense

Thanks for this video Leanne! So informative!
Even the smallest of changes in my diet disrupt the balance in my body! Like that cake from my son’s birthday… gah =)
Have a great weekend!

Nicole

Hey Leanne,

Awesome video and post as usual! You just totally rock!

I have been off and on with issues of candida and I also have a history of disordered eating, so it’s been an issue of debate in my mind. I am interested in the Candida lab test to solve the debate once and for all and checked out your link, but does a physician need to order it??

Was trying to investigate the cost an such but couldn’t figure out how to register or order the test. Any help would be much appreciated.

You’re best off contacting the company to confirm whether you will need a physician to order it. There are many locations you can visit for the blood and stool draws and then the results will be sent to you, or your GP. You could also search for physicians in your area that offer the test through their office: http://www.gdx.net/patients/practitioner-directory

Dayanna

Great post! I always learn so much reading your blog and fbook healthful hints! (:
Thanks!

Lisa

Candida is such an interesting topic to me—I never was tested, but read so much about it (and matched everything up with my symptoms and life) that I *know* that plagued me for most of my adult life…until I cut grains, sugar, and reduced carbs significantly. I wish it was a more accepted topic to talk about with clients—so many people I suspect have a problem are not open to talking about it!

Elena

Great video…thank you!
I did a homeopathic treatment for a few months after having a bioenergetic reading. They said I most likely had candida overgrowth and that’s probably what led to my early lupus diagnosis..which by the way, I never went back for conventional treatment or diagnosis. Medicines make me sicker, hence all the symptoms after starting on birth control and antibiotics. My question is…can candida overgrowth alone be responsible for lupus symptoms?
I’ve done more than two candida cleanses and diets and I never truly heal. Making me wonder if I really do have an autoimmune disease?

Have you met with a naturopath to make that connection? A practitioner may be able to pinpoint where you should be focusing first. I’ve seen some very intense candida symptoms, but if a doctor has said that you may have lupus, it might be best to get properly tested for candida/auto immune before moving forward. I hope that helps :)

Courtney

I tried the spit test this morning and after about half an hour it looked just like the diagram. I’m not sure if I can afford the other tests. I don’t really feel out-of-it very often, but I do feel like I can never get enough sleep. I’ve had uncontrollable acne problems for the last year and a half (nothing seems to work to make it go away) and I’ve noticed that when my allergies get bad it hits me a lot harder than it used to. Shoot. I considered this as a potential problem, but I didn’t consider how I would handle it if it was a problem. I guess I’ll have to go back and read through your candida strategy. I was under the impression that the diet consisted of meat and veggies, which could be difficult for me because I’m a vegetarian. I guess I’ll just have to research. Thank you for this information, Leanne.

Hi Courtney, I’ve done the candida cleanse as a vegetarian and you just have to get creative with your protein sources – a lot of spirulina, chlorella, bee pollen, etc. and less legumes/grains. It can be done if that’s the path that feels best for your body!

Callie

I love your bear cookies – every time I see them, I smile. SO cute! Then again, I’m kind of bias towards cut-out-cookies, ha…

You totally are bias, but I’ll take it anyways! I’ve been sharing your new site with everyone. I just LOVE the design!!

Ginger

Hi, I just found this blog. I love healthy food!!! Thanks for sharing your exciting recipes and health information.
I think I have candida. My biggest complaints are not breathing well and sudden digestion issues like reflux, diarrhea, mucus in throat, etc… I looked at the Geneva testing and you have to be a health care professional to order that. How much is that testing? And how would I go about getting tested if I’m not a health care professional. Thanks so much.
Ginger.

Hi Ginger, I’m glad you like my blog! The testing was from genova diagnostics. Many of the tests range from $100 to a couple thousand, depending on what you’re looking for. You can find a listing of practitioners that offer services in your area by visiting their website: http://www.gdx.net/ hope that helps!

Ginger

Thank you for the speedy response. I sent a request for a practitioner. :)