Healthful Hints: Health During the Holidays

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on December 14, 2011

It’s no secret that we’re surrounded with a lot of temptation this time of year. From pastries, hot cocoa, wine, chocolate bark, stuffing, gravy, pumpkin pie, sugar cookies, to gingerbread houses; it’s all there and within arms reach (usually).

Do you find yourself worrying or stressing about how you’ll fight all of the forbidden foods this holiday season? Before an event, do you tell yourself that much of the food there will tempt you into breaking your healthful habits?

Learn how to approach the holidays in a healthful and balanced way; to feel good about your choices, be present, and most importantly, eat out of love and passion for your body.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFSJ6359lrU

Notes

Here are a couple of my favorite healthy holiday recipes from the blog. Many of them are a combination of sugar-free, dairy-free, grain or gluten-free, and are a great alternative to standard holiday treats!

Coconut Snow Cookies

Chocolate Cups

Bacon Wrapped Figs

Tofu Miso Balls

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous

It is hard to stay healthy this time of year. I try to not stress too much about eating healthy all the time and focus more on the family and friends I am spending time with.

I’m 100% with you on that one! That’s exactly what I cover off in the video :)

Great video Leanne! Like you and Rebecca said, the holidays don’t have to be all about food. I also try to focus on the friends and family that I’m with. Yes, I’ll treat myself to a few food items that we only have at Christmas, but I like the experience of the company more. :)

Olivia @unleashingmymind

Very informative video, thanks!

Tofu miso balls sounds wonderful. Love anything like that – easy to grab as a snack or to make a salad more interesting!

Temptation…I try to have a few bites of whatever is that I really really want and enjoy them fully and then…move on!

Lots of times when I make desserts, I truly only want one bite of it, or a square or a piece. But end up with a sheetpan full. Good thing I have friends, neighbors, family etc to help. I find that just having and making what I want is the best policy. I get the craving satisfied rather than eating ten other things rather than the craving and would eat more than had i just had the ‘temptation’ food to start off with!

katie @KatieDid

Bacon wrapped figs- brilliant! I could definitely make these for a party and not get many weird looks as if I were to bring oh say beef jerky or unsweetened chocolate cookies lol. Bacon pleases everyone!

I’ve made that recipe at least a dozen times and brought it for parties and such. I’m always the talk of the event! They’re definitely a crowd pleaser. And no one will know they’re much healthier than many of the other snacks at the table!

Sara

THANK YOU! I literally cried while watching your video and I’m not even PMSing. Best advice out there for holiday eating. <3

Aw Sara, I’m so happy you liked the video!! Sorry I made you cry… I guess it just struck a cord with ya :) Have an amazing (love filled) holiday!

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense

Those coconut snow cookies look delicious!
So do the tofu miso balls =)
Once again, loving the videos!!

Aly

Wow, thank you so much for this post because I am COMPLETELY guilty of everything you listed off: the build up before the party and the excessive guilt afterwards. Not to mention the fact that I’m a college student and finals make for high stress levels which, consequently, make me crave these sugary delights even more!
But you’re right, I need to remember to take a step back and look at the bigger picture and enjoy the time with my family and friends.
Have a great holiday!

You too, Aly! Enjoy the holidays… and good luck with your finals! You’re almost done!!

Charlotte

*caught with a gingerbread man cookie dangling out of my mouth*

WHAT?

Thank you for this. I always want healthier recipes this time of year and feel guilty when I don’t eat the cookies a coworker baked but there has to be a line and sometimes I have a hard time walking away. Also those coconut balls are some of my favorite holiday cookies so I’m glad you are featuring the recipe here!

YOU ROCK!

Cheryl

This is great! Timely. I just posted about goals for myself for the holidays (http://eatplayluvblog.com/2011/12/13/id-rather-watch-the-today-show/) and really like how you said it’s such a small portion of the year that it’s OKAY. Treats are just that, treats to be ENJOYED, not stressed over. Props.