Shifting Gears and Staying Motivated

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on November 1, 2011

November is upon us!

I’ve become interested in sleeping away the afternoon, indulging in homemade chocolate chip cookies, and parking myself on the couch for the whole weekend.

Needless to say, my motivation has chosen to go into hibernation.

It all started about a month ago. I began battling with knee issues, forced rest days, and in the end, was given a recommendation to discontinue long distance running until the spring.

So, I did what anyone would do when they’re told to stop doing something that they love. I stopped everything active-like and spent an entire week bumming around the house feeling sorry for myself and being downright negative.

But feeling sorry for yourself has some major drawbacks, one being that you’re not too fun to be around. I’m pretty sure even Lexy was avoiding me for a couple of days there.

After a week of self pity, enough was enough. I knew I had to snap out of it and decided to look to my past successes to push forward.

Completing my first half marathon in August was one of my biggest successes, and the greatest gift I’ve ever given myself. During the race I found a sense of pride, strength, and confidence in myself that I’ve never experienced.

Knowing that I had this power in me, and that I had done this before, was just the ticket I needed to get back on track.

When did you experience your power? How have you made it work for you?

Understanding first hand that it’s good to set my heart after something, I came up with a list of goals…

• build strength
  • regain confidence
  • try something new
  • challenge myself
  • be part of something bigger than myself
  • make myself accountable for my progress

and then tried to figure out how I was going to accomplish them.

3 days later, I was nervously standing in a huge warehouse looking gym preparing for my first CrossFit class.

[source]

What’s CrossFit?

Wikipedia says it best:

CrossFit is a strength and conditioning brand that combines weightlifting, sprinting, gymnastics, powerlifting, kettlebell training, plyometrics, rowing, and medicine ball training. CrossFit contends that a healthy, fit person requires proficiency in each of ten general physical skills: cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, agility, balance, coordination, and accuracy.

The first session was intense. It was a raw, unadulterated, as hard as your little heart will go, workout. The intensity during the first 10 minutes of the session was higher than anything I’d ever experienced! The second, third, forth, and fifth sessions have been just as amazing.

Everything is challenging, I’m already seeing progress, and there are so many things I can improve on. I’m confident that shifting gears was exactly what I needed to get excited about my health goals again.

So, here’s how I’ll be adding the sessions into my weekly routine -

Time

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

AM Spin class 10 minute run Body rock Vinyasa yoga Spin class    10 minute run 10min row, 30min elliptical, 40min strength
OFF Crossfit Spin class
PM Crossfit Body rock Body rock Body rock

Although there isn’t a lot of running, I’m hopeful that each exercise will help to build my body for a great 2012 running season. And who knows, maybe this will lead me to something I like even more than running!

How do you build your motivation?

I have friends who swear by and love!! Crossfit. Glad you have found this but am sorry about your knees and setbacks :(

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

For me, keeping the momentum going is important – the more consistent I am with running and working out, the more enthusiastic I get. Goal setting is also really important!

Good for you in getting back to it – CrossFit is an amazing workout :)

Nora

I have always wanted to try CrossFit but I’ve been too afraid! Good for you for trying something new and putting yourself out there. Best of luck :)

I was deathly afraid too. I started with a couple of one on one sessions to get me accustomed to the structure and found that really took the edge off. You can DO it :)

Great topic Leanne! I’m a very visual person so when it comes to fitness, images of people with fit bodies motivates me. Also, I’m a kinesthetic learner, so just the feeling of being fit and healthy is motivation.. especially at times when I’m NOT feeling so healthy (like now… still have a man voice because of my cold!)

I am such a visual person too! But come to think of it, I don’t have any type of visual images to motivate me. Just changed my desktop image. Gosh, I want THAT 6 pack ;) Hope you’ll feel better real soon!

Divya

I actually just heard about Crossfit today in the news. It sounds really intense, but I’m sure the hard work is worth the effort. Kudos to you for being so motivated!

I find it really hard to stay motivated unless I make concrete goals for myself and track my progress on a daily or weekly basis. By writing my progress down on paper everyday, I see how things are shaping up and that’s what keeps me going. I love my food/exercise log – I don’t think I could live without it!

I used to write down a workout plan for the week or month and would track my progress daily. I ended up kind of falling out of that routine and noticed that when I stopped recording my progress, I stopped exercising as much as I really like to. So I just started out with a brand new plan and put it on paper and I am really hoping that this will get me back into the “groove”! :)

Something else that really motivates me is reading blogs like yours. When I see you staying motivated and staying fit, that makes ME motivated too! Sometimes I need a good kick in the butt :)

I love the idea of writing it all down, Andrea! And the journaling and tracking aspect too… that’s a great one.

Michele Sparrow

Hello, I don’t believe I have every actually commented on your blog, though I have been following it for sometime now. My name is Michele, btw…:-)

My husband has done Crossfit for over 2 years now and absolutely loves it. He is in the best shape of his life without an ounce of fat on him and absolutely loves the intensity of the workouts that he does. He goes 5 days a week, most weeks. Of course, we also keep his diet very clean (I am a Certified Nutrition Consultant) so that definitely helps! :-)

Good luck with it and I hope you enjoy it as much as he does!

Hi Michele! Thanks for stopping by to say hi :) I love hearing about people that have had success with CrossFit. I can’t wait to see how my body changes. Is it crazy to think is already has? I keep looking at my biceps and smiling haha. I’ll continue to share my progress as I go!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

CrossFit sounds amazing. I know a few people who do it, but I can’t afford to get addicted so I haven’t tried! I’m glad you found something non-running to carry you through your knee issue blues :)

Great post – and much needed. My motivation is seriously lacking. BUT I did buy a Groupon for CrossFit and am going to check it out.

You have a killer workout schedule – rock on!

Nice, way to go! I’d love to know what you think of it :)

Courtney

Hi Leanna,
I discovered your blog this past weekend and I’m already in love. I wasn’t planning on commenting, but the fact that you listed Bodyrock on your workout schedule inspired me.

I’ve been Bodyrocking for about 8 months now (5 days a week) and I’ve seen amazing progress in my physique. However, lately I’ve been feeling that I need a change. I’ve toyed with the idea of Crossfit, as well as hiring a personal trainer. So as someone who also Bodyrocks, do you find that it is an enhancement to your workouts, or can it stand alone for training? Is CrossFit significantly more challenging? I just feel stuck. Every workout is a challenge for me because I push myself to my max, but I don’t feel my body changing as much as it was.

The marathon pictures are from August? You have fantastic legs!

Hi Courtney! Thanks for your kind words :)
For me, I know I couldn’t rely on Bodyrock alone. I’m sure once you get to the level of Zuzana you can do all the workouts great and target all the muscle groups. But I adapt a couple of things as some are just too darn challenging.. for right now anyways! I feel tired after the workout, but not fully worked out. You know what I mean?
Crossfit is significantly more challenging. Bodyrock is a warmup in comparison, at least for me.
I’m not a fitness professional, so I can’t be certain, but the place you’re in is all too familiar! Maybe you’ve hit a plateau? I’d say, give Crossfit a try if you’re open to it. Many of locations will allow you to do a free drop-in to see if you like it before you commit to anything else.
Hope that helps :)

Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com

I’ve been wanting to try CrossFit too but I’ve been a bit of chicken! :) I’ve been in a bit of a workout rut lately and have really wanted to take some new classes to shake things up a bit. I think I’m going to just have to get over my silly fears and try it!

P.S. Your snow photos are beautiful!!! Though I’m sure you are less than thrilled about it snowling already! :)

katie @KatieDid

I’ve been interested in crossfit for a while but haven’t found a place around me. I’m so excited to hear about it though, I’ve heard its the ultimate way to get in shape. Good for you for taking charge of your health!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com

I’m starting my winter fitness plan now. I’m going to try something new (barefoot running) and incorporate yoga into my existing routine of running and going to a personal trainer 2x/week.

What I need to work on most is eating right. With the colder weather and darker days, my body wants to go into hibernate mode. I’m going to fight like crazy to not let it sink in this year!

Kris | iheartwellness.com

You inspire me girl!!! I love that you view your August race as such a life amazing accomplishment!! I have my first 8k race in Whistler this Saturday and I can barely run that!! LOL!

I think you’re a strong lady and I love your goal setting and mindset! We’d have a lot to talk about over coffee one day ;)

xxoo

8k is awesome! I bet you’re so stoked! Good luck :) Yes, one day when I’m in Vancouver, we will have to meet for tea or grub at the Naam!

Katie@Real Food Katie's Way

Truthfully? I look at pictures of myself when I was 135 pounds heavier…I know I never want to go there again so I look at the way I was and it puts me back in my place.

I also change up my workouts everyday…It’s too easy to get into a slump, especially in the holiday season!

That’s great inspiration, Katie! Sounds like you’ve worked really, really hard to get to where you are today :)

TenaciousTorTor

I’m soo going through the same thing right now …its not due to injury but i’m just at a stand still and I think jut in this past week alone i’ve gained 5lbs, talk about binge emotional eating. your workout ethic inspired me and im going to start getting myself back to being healthy and how i was!! thanks so much for the inspiration!! xxTor

Kristen

I’ve been doing CrossFit for close to two years now and I love it! I hope you enjoy it…it’s definitely a great way to challenge yourself :)