Maple Turnip and Carrot Mash

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on November 9, 2011

My love for mashed potatoes goes deep.

The day I moved out of my parents house at the tender age of 17, I was very happy to learn that potatoes were about the only thing I could afford. That and egg noodles, tomato juice and licorice from Walmart.

Let’s just say there was a 3 year period in my life where I would polish off at least 4 potatoes a day. How I didn’t turn into a potato is beyond me.

So how does this lead us to carrots and turnips, exactly? Well, as much as I love potatoes, I’ve realized that having them everyday isn’t exactly ideal (and can actually cause sensitivities!).

When I’m hungry, tired and can’t think of anything to make; yes this happens to the best of us, I’ve always gravitated toward a big batch of mashed potatoes or yams and lived off it for a couple of days – along with some sort of protein of course.

But not this time, no, no. I’m ready for something lighter, sweeter and – gasp – potato free!

[print_this]

Maple Turnip and Carrot Mash

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

A lighter and sweeter mashed vegetable dish, perfect for Thanksgiving… or any ‘ol day.

Yield: 6 cups

Servings: 6

• 3 medium raw turnips, chopped
  • 4 cups carrots, chopped
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil

1. Place chopped turnips and carrots in a large saucepan. Fill with water and bring to a boil with the lid on.
  2. Boil for 20 minutes, or until vegetables pierced with a fork are soft.
  3. Drain, return back to saucepan and add maple syrup and coconut oil.
  4. Serve with a protein .

calories: 104 | fat: 5g | carbohydrate: 16g | fiber: 3g | sugars: 10g | protein: 1.2g

Compared to the same portion of mashed potatoes made with 2% milk and butter:

calories: 354 | fat: 21g | carbohydrate: 37g | fiber: 3g | sugars: 4.6g | protein: 5.3g

[/print_this]

Would you judge me if I said I actually kinda like these more than regular mashed potatoes? They’re lower in starch than the potato variety, which means I can combine them with meat with little impact to my digestion. Plus I can actually eat more because they’re not as filling…

Double bonus.

This sounds so delicious Leanne! I am definitely NOT a fan of potatos – the sweet kind, of course, but the plain ones bore me. However, mashed turnip, carrots, cauliflower, squash…. I can’t get enough! I love your addition of maple syrup. We should celebrate the US Thanksgiving this year too, just for the sake of making these! ;)

I was totally thinking the same thing. I’d be down to roasting up another turkey!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Yum! I don’t make much with carrots around here as my hubby absolutely despises them. Maybe I can sneak these by him and tell him it’s sweet potatoes! ha

By the way, I too have an unrelenting LOVE for all things potato! Specifically the mashed guys! I could honestly eat mashed potatoes every single day. This definitely seems like a great alternative, here’s hoping I can get the other half on board, too :)

Han

Hi any replacement for turnip? =)

You could try parsnips!

Kris

this look great to me, and I am a HUGE fan of the mashed potato. :D I love a sweet potato mash, and I bet this is similar with the sweet carrot and maple – mmm.

yep – I think you should go ahead and celebrate the U.S. Thanksgiving as well.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

Awesome! I love potatoes but I’m absolutely willing to give these a shot. Why not mix it up?

This looks great and like a perfect warm & comforting winter dish!

RavieNomNoms

This looks amazing! I really need to try this

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

These sound amazing! I’ve never tried this combination, but I do mash potatoes and cauliflower together. I love potatoes too, but I can go overboard with them around here since Tony has celiac and they are such an easy side dish.

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense

This looks really good!! Another yummy Fall dish I can’t wait to try!!

katie @KatieDid

Mmmmm lovely and comforting. Does high starch and meat cause difficulties in digestion? I’ve never heard of this!

So comforting! Yes, the combination of high starch and animal proteins is harder on your digestion because protein is digested in the stomach and carbs in the mouth.

Hannah (Culture Connoisseur)

Oh this is good! I’ll be trying it out for sure. I’m actually recipe planning for next week right now. I think it is a sign! ;)

Charlotte

I just started dating a vegan and I *may* invite him to my family’s Thanksgiving dinner this year. This may actually win out as one of the recipes I will prepare (and if you have any vegan casserole dishes to share, please let me know!). Thanks, Leanne!