Healthy Travel 102: Staying on Track Away From Home

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on November 20, 2011

For more on the healthy travel series, check out packing for success and staying on track away from home, backpacking essentials, camping and eating well.

One of the best parts about traveling, is getting to plan what new and exciting goodies I’ll take with me. You may think that carting things around would be a pain, but my health is my number one priority, no matter what I’m doing, or where I am in the world.

If ensuring I’ll feel balanced and healthy while I’m away means having to do a little extra preparation, it’s well worth the effort in my books!

Travel protein

When I was planning for my trip to London, my top priority was making sure I’d have lots of protein options with me. I find protein is the hardest thing to find when you have loads of allergies, dietary restrictions, and not much time to spend searching for the perfect restaurant. After a bit of forum reading and Google searching, I landed on Steve’s Original PaleoKits. I was SO excited to find these products.

Their meat is grass-fed and free-range, their fruit is sugar-free, and their kits are also gluten-free and peanut-free!

Of all their tasty products, I chose to order:

Apple Pie PaleoKit – with apples, pecans, almonds, and jerky

Coconut PaleoKit – with coconut, strawberries, and jerky

Original PaleoKrunch Bar – almond flour based protein bar sweetened with just a bit of honey

Grass-Fed Just Jurkey – the name says it all

I’ve been good at saving the kits for my trip; although I did have one of each, just to make sure they were good ;) They’re convenient, high quality, high in protein, supply the perfect amount of energy, and I just know I’m going to love having them with me this week.

Coupon savings for PaleoKits!

After I placed my order, THE Steve from Steve’s Original, offered a 10% savings deal to all of us! Booya!

The coupon code is: healthypursuit and it’s good from: November 20 – November 29, 2011

You better believe I’ll be stocking up!

Other essentials

I never go anywhere without:

• Protein powder – loving Jay Robb egg protein right now, mixed with fermented L-glutamine
  • Chia seeds
  • Hemp seeds
  • Extra virgin coconut oil

Extra travel ideas

Trail mix is a must have, for sure!

Vegetable based bars are great when you know you won’t be able to stop for a big bowl of veggies.

And easy-to-open tuna is great, too! Because I should have no issue finding these at a local shop, I’ll be leaving them at home for this trip.

Lastly, I’ll be bringing along my magic bullet so I can continue to have chia protein shakes in the morning before my workout. I’m sure I can find almond milk there, but I have brought it along with me in the past with no issues.

Adapted travel workout plan

I’ve found the best way to stay on track with your workout schedule while traveling; especially with business travel when you have very little time available, is to restructure your current workout plan to short, intense workouts with as little equipment as possible!

I find it easiest to workout in the morning during a business trip, before the day gets too crazy with meetings, events, and dinner plans.

This plan allows me to be in and out of the hotel gym in less than 30 minutes every morning:

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

In flight – OFF 10min row
WOD #1
10min row
Bodyrock
10min row
WOD #2
10min row
Bodyrock

I chose a bunch of Bodyrock and WOD exercises that don’t require eqiptment:

(click on the links for an example of the exercise)

• WOD #4: if the gym has the equipment – 5 rounds for time:

With a little bit of planning, I feel confident that I wont burn out on day 2 of the trip, and I’ll return just as healthy as how I left. And I’ll be food journaling the whole time I’m there so we can do an update when I get back, so keep up with the food journaling challenge!

I’ve had to schedule this post to go live this morning as I’m probably just landing in England right now, have major jet lag and just want to find my hotel and pass out forever.

I’ll be back soon with a delicious recipe that Kevin and I both really enjoyed last week.

… I miss home already.

Sherilyn @ Wholepromise

You are super organised…. have a great trip!

Kayla @ Sprouty Buns

Thank you so much for posting this! I just bookmarked this page for my trips home over the Holidays. Have a great trip! :)

What a great post…thanks for sharing and for the great photos…you make everything always look bright, cheery, and just…nice :)

HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Kat @ Balance & Spice

Thank you so much for the healthy tips! I’m headed off to Australia on vacation in a few weeks, so these healthy snacks would be so wonderful for our 30 hours of travel. I’ll order some right now. Have a beautiful Sunday and thanks again for being so generous with your information!

Australia, nice! That will be a great year. You’ll love the kits! Are you going to AU for anything particular? Or just vacation, 100%?

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Safe travels Leanne. Hope you have a fun trip! Thanks for sharing about the Paleo kits, never knew those existed!

I travel a ton, so packing food whenever possible is a must. Most times I will bake muffins freeze them and grab a few to go, I’ll take nuts and dried fruit and even kale chips (however I have discovered that kale chips will make a car on a long road trip smell like farts, they have such a strong odor, haha).

Kale chips, oh yes… I’ve experienced that before! I’m less than a day into my trip and am already so thankful for those kits. I’ll be making another order to take advantage of the 10% off for sure. I baked muffins last minute as well! SO happy I brought them.

Joanna

Thanks for this post! I love to travel (as often as I have the $$) and it’s always harder than I anticipate to find good food. Bookmarking this post!

Have an amazing time in London and enjoy yourself!

The Teenage Taste

I’m impressed – I wish I was that organized when I travel. Instead I usually just “wing it!”
Have a great trip, Leanne! :-)

Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com

Wow you are so together!!! Thanks for sharing all your tips – I will definitely be adopting some of these next time I take a trip!

Hannah (Culture Connoisseur)

I love that you pack food with you. We do that too! We are going up to my grandparents place in PA this week and I picked up some oatmeal, nuts, and bunch of fruits to bring to supplement. People have called me a food snob…but when I don’t do this I usually come back home with an upset stomach and a sickness of some kind. Not worth the risk if you ask me.

Ya, I get called that sometimes too. I brought in a packed lunch to the London office today and everyone thought I was loopy for packing lunches when I’m in a hotel room. Not only is it much cheaper, but I FEEL good when I do it. So ya, not worth the risk! Have fun with your grandparents :)

Cara

thanks for the awesome inspiration! hope you have a great trip :)

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.

What great tips! Thanks for always sharing about your latest healthy finds.

Those workouts look awesome and I just bookmarked them to try out this weekend :)

SP

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing this; it’s always so hard to stay on track while traveling, especially for folks who are in a “local” routine (based on local gyms, trainers, a healthy pantry, etc.). But this is good.

I went on a weeklong business trip to Orlando, FL and, was so determined to stay on track that I actually took a larger suitcase (to fit all of my food), and, upon checking in, requested a refrigerator in my hotel room. They tried to charge me but, I simply told them the truth–that it was for health reasons–and they waived the fee (!). I’m vegetarian (not vegan), so, took along with me: whole grain tortillas, homemade baba ganoush, a few avocados, crushed red pepper, and even big lettuce leaves. I also took plenty of dried fruits, nuts, and regular fruit. Everyday at lunch, I’d come upstairs to my room, eat my own, homemade healthy lunch, and feel so good. I also took with me Jillian Michaels’s 30-day shred (it’s a 20-min workout); I’m with you on travel-workouts needing to be short and focused, in order to work with your schedule.

I love your workouts and plan to try them out when I’m out on travel next. Thanks so much for this, it is a tremendous help!

Very nice! I’m so happy to hear that you had a healthy trip! Love the idea of bringing avocados along. They can be so hard to find when traveling.