Healthful Hints: Everything You Need to Know About Palm Sugar

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on November 30, 2011

Healthful hints is back again, and today we’re talking palm sugar.

We’ve chatted about why I choose palm sugar over agave nectar, I’ve used it in small amounts during my candida adventures, and many of my reduced sugar recipes call for it… but what is palm sugar exactly, and what’s so special about it?

You have to click ‘play’ to find out! ;)

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH0eSCzk8ek

Notes

Some of my favorite recipes using palm sugar:

Vegan Banana Bread Animal Crackers

Gluten-free + Vegan Gingersnap Cookies

Grilled Mini Inside Out Apple Pies

Have a sweet day!

The Vegan Banana Bread Animal Crackers…forgot about those. Thanks for the relinking…YUM!

Palm sugar is great. I don’t discriminate with sugar, ever, though :)

LizAshlee

I can’t wait to watch the video on palm sugar..I am not sure if I have used this variety-I typically use coconut sugar, which is different, correct…oh never mind, going to watch the video! :) Happy day!

Great video! You inspired me to get palm sugar a while ago. Thanks for the recipe list too – those gingersnap cookies are perfect for the holidays.

P.S. Love that purple wall behind you!

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense

Thanks for this Leanne!!
The animal crackers are adorable… I’ve got to make those for the boys =)

Heather Brandt

We’re steering clear of stevia these days b/c we were told it was not good for my hubbies sperm health (we’re going to TTC following our miscarriage). Thanks for info. on palm sugar!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous

Very interesting! I use agave for my water kefir, but I’ll have to try palm sugar!

Very informative vid. today Leanne! I have not tried palm sugar yet and would really like to, more-so now that I know how much better it is for your blood sugar than other sweeteners!

Robyn

Staying away from almost all sweetners,,,will use some date paste, very little maple syrup sometimes,,,just would rather do with out,,,,don’t like stevia, agave, brown rice syrup make me feel sicky…

It’s great that you know your body that well, Robyn! Good on you for staying away from the stuff that you body doesn’t do well on :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com

Palm Sugar and I are like to peas in a pod….sweet, tasty and delicious!! I’ve cut out my agave consumption and feel better about it!!!

You’re gorgeous!!

xxoo

India-leigh @ aveganobsession

Hi Leanne, great video. Thank you. I think I’ve been getting coconut sugar mixed up with palm sugar (thought it was coconut palm! doh!). I like the idea of using it as a subsititute for brown sugar. I’ve only used fruit sweetners for years but recently been using xylitol which I like but I guess palm sugar will be good for when that caramel flavour is called for. I’ve put it on my shopping list. x

Mel

Great video!!! Just a question..have you seen coconut sap in the stores and do you know anything about it? I found some packets in home sense the other day and wasn’t quite sure about it! thanks!! Love getting your videos every week…it makes my day!!:)

Hi Mel – coconut sap is what I talked about at the beginning of the video. It’s what comes out of the tree before it’s processed. Think of it similar to maple syrup. Now, if the stuff you found has been unprocessed, it may actually be better for you than the crystallized coconut/palm sugar!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather

I love your videos! You’re the cutest :) I got palm sugar a while back and used it maybe once(?)… I’m totally going to do more baking with it this weekend! Thanks for all the info.

Amber

Is coconut sugar the same as palm sugar? I bought some palm sugar at the natural food grocery store and LOVED it but now they aren’t carrying that brand. They were carrying coconut sugar and date sugar, but no palm sugar.

yes, it is the same! You’re good :)