Baked Maple Peach Acorn Squash Dessert

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on November 17, 2011

One of the lessons I’ve learned from tracking my daily eats in my food journal, is that my body responds really well to squashes. Every time I eat them I feel energized, satiated, and if done up right, they satisfy my sweet tooth, too!

I’ve been trying to introduce myself to a new type of squash every couple of weeks. Last night, I tried this recipe in a buttercup squash. Have you ever had buttercup squash? I found it to be denser than acorn squash, and not as sweet. A lot like cooked pumpkin, actually!

Whether you make up this easy recipe in acorn squash, baby pumpkins, or even a spaghetti squash, I can pretty much guarantee that it’ll be absolutely deeeelicious!

[print_this]

Baked Maple Peach Acorn Squash Dessert

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

Baking a squash is easy to do, quick, and makes for a nice light (and warm) treat. Dress it up squash with some sugar-free jam + cinnamon and you have yourself one tasty (and healthy) dessert!

Yield: 1 baked squash

Servings: 2

• 1 acorn squash, cut in half lengthwise
  • 2 tbsp stevia sweetened peach jam
  • 2 tsp pure maple syrup
  • ground cinnamon, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400F and fill a 3L casserole dish with 1/4-inch of water. Set aside.
  2. Cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise and place face down in the water dish.
  3. Bake for 35 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven and flip the halves over. Drop 1 tbsp jam, 1 tsp maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon in each half.
  5. Return to the oven and broil on high for 5 minutes. Remove and serve!

calories 114; fat 0.2g; carbs 32g; fiber 3.2; sugars 4g; protein 1.7g

[/print_this]

Now we’re shifting completely off the topic of squashes and moving on to India. Great transition, right?

A colleague of Kevin’s recommend that I watch The Story of India before my trip in February. Seeing as he’s from India and has traveled there many times, I took it as a solid recommendation and began scouring the web for a copy that could be shipped in under 2 months <— what the heck, Amazon?

I ended up ordering the DVD directly from PBS and it arrived in 2 days!

[source]

The Story of India is a six-part series ran by PBS and the BBC, documenting a dazzling and exciting journey through today’s India. It begins by defining India’s identity, moves on to the history that has defined the nation, the trades, India in the middle ages, the legacy of the Mughal empire, and the current state of India. You can search the many topics covered in the videos on this page. Pretty impressive, huh?

I’m hoping the videos will give me a better understanding of the culture, how to interact, and what to expect when I get there. I know many of you have expressed interest in traveling to India too, so I thought I’d share this great resource!

So now that I have India on the brain… again… I guess I should stop procrastinating and get going on today’s bodyrock session. Results will be posted on Facebook in a bit!

Have a fabulous Thursday :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

Looks delicious! I actually find buttercup to be far more sweet than acorn! I do think it’s denser and “smoother” (if that makes sense?). I had it last night!!

I love that you can bake it all together and voila, dessert is served.

Very intriguing on the videos; one day I want to go to India and you’ll have to LMK if you think the videos were helpful, on target, etc…

I LOVE squashes of all types, and buttercup is one of my favourites! This sounds great Leanne, and so simple and pretty too! Like you, I’ve found that my digestive system does really well with squash so I’ve been eating it at least 3 times per week. Your India DVD sounds really interesting! My dad went there a couple of times when we were living in the Middle East, but I’ve never been. I think you’ll have an awesome adventure and I can’t wait to hear all about it!

Terra

I have had buttercup squash, but the problem is…my Mom would load it with butter. So really not sure how different from acorn it is. I will have to try both together now. I love acorn squash. Just made acorn squash with a simple raspberry sauce, Yum:-) Honestly, any squash makes me happy:-) Your trip will be amazing! My dream is to go to India and Nepal, I want to take a yoga and meditation journey. Hugs, Terra

Squash for dessert is such a good idea! I love trying new squashes – I think I get a new one every week too, though it’s not intentional. I’m lured by the stack at the market. :)

Rebecca

I never would have thought to use squash for a dessert! That’s brilliant! Thanks for the recipe!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers

Mmmm ~ roast squash is like a dessert all by itself. This looks great!

I have found that my body responds really well to squash, too! I’ve been eating them everyday now.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

I definitely don’t eat enough squash. Perhaps if I do it for dessert!

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes

That looks so beautiful!! Such a different dessert and sounds awesome!

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl)

These look perfect for Thanksgiving

katie @KatieDid

I also love squash and sweet potatoes, although they technically don’t count. My body prefers them as carb sources. I just cooked a jumbo spaghetti squash and it yielded SO much which I didn’t think I would be able to get through before leaving for my trip this friday but I proved myself wrong and powered through all of it. Right now it’s definitely my favorite variety, but I have never tried kabocha and I’ve heard awesome things about it!

Kabo…what? Okay… looking into it! Enjoy your trip :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Yummy :) I know I always feel great after eating squash too. It is the perfect kind of “full” feeling that I don’t get from many other foods. Love this dessert version, I need to try that. I usually just do maple syrup and cinnamon but peach sounds awesome! Or maybe even another fruit :D

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

Love the idea of adding peaches to squashes! YUM! I love buttercup squash, actually more than acorn. I just roasted a huge cinderella pumpkin yesterday. Now the insides are waiting to made into pumpkin pie!

I’m so excited for you and your trip! I know you are going to have an amazing time!

I’ve never heard of Cinderella squash, but I like the sounds of it!

Kerry

Your squash looks delicious! I love the idea of squash for dessert. Perfect timing with this recipe too – I just bought an acorn squash, and I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with it. I think I’ll try this with fig butter instead of the peach jam. I might even have it for breakfast tomorrow! Thanks for the recipe!

Fig butter would be so good! Enjoy your breakfast :)

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.

That looks like a great dessert! I’ve been adding butternut squash puree to everything!! It satisfies my sweet tooth as well.

I’m so excited for you to go on your trip! I know you’ll do an amazing job reflecting on it and I will feel like I was there too!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Ha what an absolutely adorable dessert. I love it.