Oil-free Sweet Basil Hummus

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on October 9, 2011

Instead of carving pumpkins, decorating the Thanksgiving table, or cleaning the house, we went to Home Depot to buy some paint for my new office!

The upper level of our house has 2 extra bedrooms. We are using 1 as a spare bedroom and the other as an office. Problem is, we never ever use the spare bedroom. The door is always closed, which is a shame because it gets fantastic sunshine in the afternoon and has a great view.

We’ve been planning to turn the space into my office for awhile now but just haven’t gotten around to actually doing it.

Until now. w00t!

Applying painter’s tape takes forever. We did however find this awesome product called FrogTape that has a gel-like adhesive that’s supposed to keep the lines ridiculously clean. I guess there’s only one way to find out if it really works!

Purple really is my favorite color!

I may or may not have been caught singing “I’m purple, DA BA DE DA BA DI DA BA DE DA BA DI DA BA DE DA BA DI DA BA”

best.song.ever… especially when the lyrics are tweaked slightly. Suddenly I was a little girl that lived in a purple house.

If you have no idea what I’m talking about, shame on you for missing out on one of the best songs of 1998.

I do have to say though, that by the end of painting 3 walls and a closet, I was okay with not seeing purple for awhile. Too bad we still have a second coat + a feature wall to complete.

We finished painting around 9pm, went downstairs and whipped ourselves up a simple dinner.

The first thing that came to mind while I was standing at the kitchen sink peeling the paint off my hands, was a big batch of sweet almond spread. The only thing I don’t like about this spread is that it’s really high in fat and calories. Although I could technically sit on the kitchen floor and eat an entire batch to myself, I try to practice a bit of self control and limit it to 1-2 tablespoons mixed in with a bowl of rice, or slathered on a couple of crackers.

But the flavor is so good for just 1-2 tablespoons.

Then an idea struck and a new recipe was born faster than you can say purple people eater.

[print_this]

Oil-free Sweet Basil Hummus

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

It tastes like my pesto, it (kinda) looks like my pesto… but wait, it’s low in fat?!

Inspired by my sweet almond spread

Yield: 1 cup

Servings: 2

• 1 cup cooked white navy beans *see note
  • 3 tbsp water
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp unpasteurized honey or agave nectar *see note
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • cumin (optional)

1. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
  2. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with cumin if desired.

note: use whatever kind of beans you have on hand. Chickpeas, black beans, or even kidney beans would work well!

note2: to keep vegan, use agave nectar instead of honey.

calories: 135 | fat: 1g | carbohydrate: 17g | fiber: 7g | sugars: 4g | protein: 7g

[/print_this]

Even my vegetables were happy with the thought of my purple office.

Now, to begin jotting down my shopping list for IKEA. First up, a funky light,

the desk I’ve had my eye on for months,

and black + white damask curtains!

I’ll get to preparing the pumpkin pie and turkey this afternoon, I promise.

Sam @ owlmazing

you had me sold just by mentioning “im purple”. Bahah i love that, oh the 90′s!! My friends and I LOVED that song. The color is super nice and I love your decor ideas. It’s going to look so nice! The hummus looks quite tasty too!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

This sounds so good! I love basil! Max is sitting next to me and laughed at the face plate! Ya gotta love having fun with your food! The room for you is so exciting and I love the color and decorations you chose. Sounds like the perfect space for you! Have fun cooking today! Now I want to make turkey and dressing!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

Ohh Eiffel 65. I used to love that song!

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.

Yay for finally getting to work on your office! That purple looks great! And I do remember that song…I’ll thank you later when I’ve been singing it all day long :)

love the home decor you have your eye on!

and the face you made with the veggies, too cute

and you painting…even cuter! Your room is turning out great!

Haley @ Fit, Young, and Fabulous

OH wow!! Can’t wait to make this hummus!! I love different hummus variations! My favorite would definitely be edamame hummus! mmmm(:

I’ve never tried edamame hummus. Sounds delicious!

Faith @ For the Health of It

HAHAHA I was just listening to that song at work on Friday. It’s such a ridiculous one but it’s a classic!

Alexis

Just tripled this for thanksgiving tomorrow!! Hardly needed any of the water and added coriander, nutritional yeast and pepper… it might be gone before the family arrives! :)

Oh yum, I love the idea of adding nutritional yeast. I’ll have to give that a try! Enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner :)

Dayanna

OoOoOoh that office decor looks so fab & chic! I read about the lamp in a home decor article and they said it projects neat light reflections on the surrounding area. FUN! :) must post pictures when its all complete!

Lynne

I’m jealous that I live in an apartment and can’t paint my walls a crazy color, like purple, or some awesome teal. And I’ve had my eye on curtains like that for a while :)

Can’t wait to try the hummus when I bring my basil back from the dead!

You know, it was weird. As we were painting I felt like I was doing something completely ‘against the rules’. I never pieced together that it was because I’d lived in places that never, ever allowed their tenants to paint! It felt so weird to be able to just pick a color and GO for it!
I hope your basil is doing alright. I need to get started on planting my own. We go through far too much in our house.

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com

OMG! I love it!! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

And that hummus? NOM!

Simone @ simplehealthyhomemade.com

WOW that looks yummy! I gotta try that, even though I am a self declared hummus purist, as soon as I am through my traditional batch, I will try out yours ;)
PS Had a purple and green bathroom at my old house LOVED it!
and IKEA rules!!!

I chose a green carpet! I’m nervous to lay it down… but you’ve given me confidence!

Jenny

i just want to tell you how much I love you and your blog and you make me smile everyday with your passion for living a healthy lifestyle and sharing it with others

Thanks for the super sweet comment, Jenny. You’ve put a BIG smile on my face :) Hope you’re having a fabulous Monday!

Kelly

What a great recipe, your hummus looks fantastic! :)

chris

It is coming along beautifully! The purple is cool.
Love this hummus. Thank you for showing me another way. Love hummus but the amount of oil kills me. Can’t wait to try!

Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack!

This looks so good! I could eat hummus for nearly every meal and I have a slight obsession with basil, so this is perfect! I must make this soon.. :D