Yasodhara Memories: Eggplant Harvest Bowl

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on September 26, 2011

I’m a huge fan of roasted vegetables.

They’re easy, versatile, flavorful and make for amazing leftovers.

You can blend them with chickpeas to make hummus, add them to a salad, eat them plain, or stick them in between 2 slices of gluten-free bread for a quick sandwich.

They must have known I was coming, because we ate a lot of roasted veg at Yasodhara ashram, including this eggplant and zucchini grain bowl.

[print_this]

Yasodhara Memories: Eggplant Harvest Bowl

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

Fall brings with it a craving for warm grain bowls topped with squash and a touch of coconut oil. This yasodhara inspired bowl hit the spot for me over the weekend!

Yield: 1 cup cooked grains and 6 cups roasted vegetables

• 3 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp apple juice
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seed
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 4 tsp extra virgin coconut oil (optional)

1. Place all marinaded veggies ingredients in a large bowl. Cover, and place in the fridge for 1 hour (optional – just makes the flavors combine nicely)
  2. Once marinaded, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicon baking mat. Cook in a preheated oven at 375F for 50 minutes, stirring once.
  3. Meanwhile, combine grains and water in a medium sized saucepan. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and allow to cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep the lid on until ready to use.
  4. Once veggies are ready, portion out rice and place veggies over top. Sprinkle with Herbamare and add an optional 1 tsp extra virgin coconut oil to each bowl.

calories: 334 | fat: 5g | carbohydrates: 60g | fiber: 15g | sugars: 7g | protein: 15g

[/print_this]

We had these bowls for dinner last night and they were a huge success. Kevin had his with chicken and I stirred in a couple tablespoons of  sweet almond spread for good measure. I’d have to say that combining these two yasodhara recipes is right up there with awesome!

You have made me get over my eggplant fear and want to try to make one again b/c this looks sooooo good! I suck at making them in general and usually create…mush. Mmm, delicious mush :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

Yum I love roasted eggplant! Though I call it aubergine :)

Faith @ For the Health of It

That makes it sound so elegant! Maybe I could convince my eggplant-hating boyfriend to try it if I made a fancy-schmancy eggplant…er…”aubergine” dish one night for dinner? :D

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense

I have an eggplant just waiting to be used — this looks so good!!
Another great way to use millet too!!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers

Thanks for the recipe. The hubby and I are both crazy about roast eggplant.

LizAshlee

Love your blog..such positive and inspiring energy!! What a great recipe too! I love having a grain mixed with roasted veggies. I purchased eggplant at the Farmer’s Market last week and made a delicious healthy take on eggplant parmesan or something like that…not sure what I will call it! :)

Happy Monday! :)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

I need to start roasting more veggies. I love the way they taste but I’m usually too impatient! This looks amazing though, way too good to pass up and well worth the wait.

The trick is to make them at the end of the day, after your evening snack. I usually just throw them in the oven, set the timer, and go watch a movie. I’m impatient too :)

jess☆ @ Multicultural Melbourne

Great idea – looks so perfect for a nice healthy dinner after a long day at work :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

I would love to have that bowl of roasted goodness right now! YUM!

Morgan @ moments of mmm

I love roasting eggplant. Especially with lots of herbs like thyme and oregano. The coconut oil in the roasted veggie recipe sounds divine. Have a fabulous day!

LightOnMyFeet

Eggplant intimidates me but this looks amazing! I’m adding to my make in the future list :)

Josianne

Thank you so much for sharing all those amazing recipes. Finding your blog when I had to be on a candida diet was such a relief, your creativity was and still is of great help to making this journey through eating well and feeling good a lot more fun!!! I send you lots of love and gratitude :)