Grains stay good in the fridge for 3 days but the thought of throwing them out kills me every time. Until recently, I’d just throw my leftover grains in the freezer and use them for a quick rice bowl dinner or as a salad topper… until now.
As painful as it is to admit, the mornings are getting cooler and this past Saturday was no exception. I wanted something warm, quick and filling. I opened up the fridge to peak inside hoping for some French toast or muffins to jump out at me. Instead I was greated with 3 bowls of leftover millet and immediately thought breakfast bowl.
The wheels started turning.
3 minutes later, I had a bowl of warm deliciousness waiting to be enjoyed.
- ½ cup cooked millet or other leftover grain
- ½ cup non-dairy milk – I used almond milk
- ¼ apple, diced
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 1 tablespoon dried currants or raisins
- 1 tablespoon shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup, or honey (optional) *see note
- ½ tablespoon coconut butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 minute. Enjoy!
- It’s also fantastic cold, too!
View Nutritional Information (once on page scroll down)
The great thing about this recipe is that you can use any grain or fruit you want. On Sunday, I made the same type of bowl with quinoa, rice, and blueberries. Just as delicious, just as inexpensive.
What’s your favorite way to use leftovers?