150 calorie Ginger Chicken Kelp Noodle Soup

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on September 29, 2011

I’m proud to introduce you to my new best friend, The kelp noodle.

Just like the package says – healthful, delicious, easy to prepare, and fun to eat!

You just can’t go wrong with this noodle!

For those of you who have no clue what kelp is, let me break it down for you.

Kelp is a sea vegetable and belongs to the brown algae family.

It’s is rich in more than 70 minerals, including potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium and iodine. It also contains enzymes, vitamins, trace elements, and more than 21 amino acids. It’s fantastic for:

• glandular health
  • bone strength
  • circulatory health
  • digestive issues
  • weight worries

[source]

Oh, have I mentioned that 1 serving = 6 calories? There are 4 servings in the bag, so it goes a long way.

I ordered the noodles from Upaya Naturals, but have seen them at many health food stores across the city.

When I first opened the package I’d thought they would be squishy, like a regular noodle. But they’re not. They’re crunchy… like cabbage. This threw me off.

Until I realized you just have to soak them in hot water and they soften right up.

Perfect.

Then I asked myself, “self, what’s your favorite way to enjoy noodles?”

To which I replied with, ‘chicken noodle soup, silly!’

Yes, I talk to myself frequently. I’d like to think that’s how my good ideas are born.

[print_this]

Ginger Chicken Kelp Noodle Soup

Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

A 15 minute chicken noodle soup with kelp noodles, ginger and lemon. It’s tangy, low in calories, and packed with protein!

Yield: 10 cups soup

Servings: 4

• 1 package of kelp noodles
  • 8 cups boiling water
  • 4-4(0z) breasts, chopped – yield: 2 cups
  • 4 cups baby bok choy, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
  • 8 green onions, chopped
  • 3 tbsp gluten-free chicken bouillon powder
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp lemon zest, grated
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil (optional *see note)

1. Place all ingredients but kelp noodles in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
  2. 1 minute before completion, add the kelp noodles.
  3. Serve hot with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro on top.

note: adding coconut oil to the recipe is absolutely fantastic, but not necessary.

calories: 150 | fat: 3g | carbohydrate: 7g | fiber: 3g | protein: 24g

[/print_this]

If you’re like me and eat many of your dinners alone, feel free to cut the recipe down by 75% and make soup for one!

Have you tried kelp noodles? If so, what’s your favorite way to enjoy them?

If not, would you be open to giving them a try?

I dont like kelp noodles. I wanted to and have tried hard to like them but they’re too crunchy for me which is just too weird to eat :)

I was thrown off by the crunchiness too! But you just have to soak them in hot water for a couple of minutes and then they get soft like regular noodles!

Jillian

Have you tried Shirataki Miracle Noodles? If so, how do kelp noodles compare? Thanks! Love reading your blog everyday, such an inspiration!

I totally saw those noodles at the store the other day, but decided not to buy them……need to go back….now.

Faith @ For the Health of It

I haven’t tried them, but I definitely would. Maybe I’ll check the Oriental markets in my town this weekend to see if they carry them!

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense

I would love to try kelp noodles!
I love using whole foods in recipes!
Soup is one of my favorite “comfort” foods… I would love to have a big pot of this soup right now =)

LizAshlee

Wow, great nutrition stats..can’t wait to try!!

Amanda K

Can’t wait to try this! It looks delicious!

Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com

You have the most creative recipes! This sounds amazing!!!

Thanks Molly :)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

I’ve been wanting to try kelp noodles but I can’t find them anywhere! I guess I’ll have to order them and make this! I think I could sub the chicken for tofu :)

You could definitely sub tofu! Have you tried smoked tofu? I bet it would be fantastic in this :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

This sounds amazing! I’m definitely those noodles a try too. This soup sounds right up my alley!

Julie Bates

I have been addicted to kelp noodles since I found them at my local co-op! My favorite way to have them is in a peanut-style sauce, something thick that sticks to the noodles like a thai “peanut” sauce made with sunbutter and coconut aminos. Throw in some diced chicken, green onions, red bell pepper… Mmmmm….

I really need to find these coconut aminos that everyone’s been talking about! That sounds delicious, Julie!

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog

I really want to try kelp noodles now! Your meal looks delicious!

Ali

Just what I needed to help me with my cold, looks really good. Love the post, such a lovely blog.

Camillia

Soup is my favorite food! And soup that only takes 10 minutes to make means that even after 8 hours of intense school, I can whip up my favorite dish to slurp slowly while I begin to tackle my avalanche of readings. Thank-you thank-you!

Kelly

Mm this soup looks so healthy and delicious, I love your pictures! :)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.

I’ve never heard of kelp noodles, but now you’ve gotten me curious! And only 6 calories?? Awesome!

Gwen~healthymamma

This sounds wonderful. I’ve not heard of kelp noodles but have some dried seaweed.

Becky

How would you prepare tofu for this soup? I’ve had little tiny tofu cubes in soups at restaurants, but I don’t know how to cook it for something like this. It just looks too good to pass up, though! Thank you!

You could use firm tofu and add it in around the 5 minute mark or so. It’s been a long time since I’ve made a soup with tofu! Enjoy :)

Flannery Buchanan

Wonder if you could adapt this to the crockpot?? Do kelp noodles ever get mushy like regular noodles? Looking forward to trying this; my family would LOVE it.

I’ve cooked these noodles for up to 30 minutes and they haven’t gotten mushy, but I’m not sure if they would last in the crockpot. May be a recipe where you could add the noodles in 30 minutes before the dish is ready?

Halley

Thinking about bastardizing your recipe and making a very veggie version.

bahaha bastardizing… DO IT!

Halley

Okay! So I mentioned doing a veggie version of this. My local food co-op had regular kelp, but not kelp noodles. I have no car. I had to settle rather than looking somewhere else. I also couldn’t find veggie bouillon that did not have maltrose, dextrose or any other of those roses that smell like poo. I grabbed two quarts of organic, low-sodium veggie broth. I also grabbed the baby bok choy, ginger (I have a juice and there’s no such thing as too much ginger), portabella mushrooms, red pepper, green pepper, (I forget green onions. This is what I get for not printing this, but oh well) a single white onion. I also have tons of fresh spinach, baby carrots, broccoli, and gala apples. What would you recommend for the amount of broth? Would a splash of Tamari be too much too?

Kelp is very, very different than kelp noodles. I wouldn’t add it in there, if you have not made it already. Perhaps zucchini noodles (just cut zucchini really thinly with a veggie peeler) The same amount of broth would suffice!