Yukka Flux Cocktails – Rum Drenched Fruit

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on July 4, 2011

What a weekend!

The weather was gorgeous,

we have trees in our backyard now,

our neighborhood barbecue was a success,

and… my computer’s fixed!

Thankfully no files were lost. So, the minute my computer was up and running, I did a backup of everything.

I now have everything online on Dropbox. I was drawn to dropbox because it makes everything so accessible. I can access my files anywhere in the world – from a computer, or my iPhone, their security is amazing, and the first 2GB is free.

Now, to keep up with the monthly backups.

With a fixed computer, a mind full of BBQ ideas, and 24 hours before events began, I raced down to my kitchen to begin creating.

First up on the list was Yukka Flux. I have no idea who made up the name of this cocktail, or where it originated, only that it’s awesome.

I’d never heard of this magical drink until one of my teammates brought it in pails to our golf tournament. Needless to say, they were a huge hit.

Generally I try to avoid cocktails in the summer because they’re just so full of sugar. If I enjoy a couple in the evening I end up feeling horrible for the next couple of days.

Not worth it.

But Yukka Flux… no sugar, less empty calories, and it’s even high in fiber, too!

It’s still alcohol. But, it’s ridiculously better than store bought coolers, and easy to whip up.

If that doesn’t sway you, can I tempt you by saying you won’t have as bad a hangover with this as you would other drinks?

;)

[print_this]

Yukka Flux Cocktails

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

Yukka Flux is a great way to avoid sugary cocktails often enjoyed in the summer. Leaving it to soak for 12 hours allows the natural fruit juices to infuse the rum. Absolutely delicious and refreshing!

Yield: 3 liters or 3.17 quarts

• 6 cups fresh fruit of your choice, chopped – I used: strawberries, raspberries, green grapes, peaches, Mexican mangoes, pineapple, and cantaloupe
  • 1.7 liters/quarts white rum
  • 2 liters/2.1 quarts mineral water
  • 1 grapefruit, juiced
  • 1/8 tsp powdered white stevia

1. Mix alcohol and fruit in a large bowl or drink pitcher.
  2. Place in the fridge for 10-12 hours.
  3. Place a strainer over a large empty bowl. Strain the fruit out of the alcohol [reserve alcohol]. Place drenched fruit on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for 3 hours. Return reserved rum to the fridge.
  4. Once frozen, combine rum and frozen fruit.
  5. Combine mineral water, grapefruit juice, and stevia and place in a sealed bottle.
  6. Distribute fruit mixture to pails, fish bowls, or glasses and top with grapefruit mineral water while serving.

[/print_this]

Nothing says summer like a fish bowl full of fruit and rum. Am I right?

I was too cheap inventive to spend $40 on a punch bowl, so I went to the craft store and bought a $10 fish bowl + a $1 ladle at the dollar store. It worked marvelously.

Do you have a favorite cocktail? Have you ever tried to “healthify” it?

What fruits would you put in your Yukka Flux?

Stephanie

Those cocktails are really beautiful! When I first started reading, I thought “Hey, I should make this for girls’ night tonight!”. And then I read about the 12 hour wait time. Oh well. I guess I’ll just stick with my favourite sangria!

You could totally do without the wait time. It would still taste fantastic!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

I LOVE Dropbox!! Make sure to try out the shared folders feature. It lets me put documents, pictures, music, whatever into a folder I share with someone else…no emailing, printing, etc.!

Holly @ The Runny Egg

This looks delicious — I’ll have to make this for a future BBQ/party.

My favorite cocktail is reall simple: rum/coke — I don’t really try to healthify it because I don’t think you can without sacrificing the “flavor” :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

I am not much of an alcohol person, but this seems right up my alley. Lately, I’ve been wanting to find something that I would like to drink though. I am definitely going to try this out! It looks soooo good!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn

Mmmmmm :) Grapefruit juice is mah faveee! Rum makes me feel suuuper tropical ahah

Sam

My favorite cocktail is a whisky sour! Second is vodka cran. I have never tried to healthify them but cranberry juice isn’t too bad, right? ;) i would LOVE to try this one! Yummm.

Lisa @ Healthful Sense

Those would be a perfect drink for our BBQ today. My husband also makes “sangria-like” drink with red wine, blood orange soda, berries, and lime. It’s pretty good but I like your drink recipe better!!

chinmayie @ love food eat

looks awesome! I always make fruit punches with tons of fresh fruits and fresh juices and it’s great!
I love the fish bowl idea :)

“Nothing says summer like a fish bowl full of fruit and rum. Am I right?”– You are SO RIGHT! :)

Love the bowl score$$ and I’d be putting watermelon and mango in mine. As long as you can come over and help me drink some of them :)

Hayley @ Oat Couture

This looks amazing! I could so have done with this recipe last week. We got through a whole bottle of simple syrup making cocktails… urghh I shudder at the thought! :/ And I love your punch bowl! I was hunting for a massive jug last week but didn’t find one cheap or big enough. Why didn’t I think of using a fishbowl!? Genius!

Rhoni

This sounds great! I recently discovered your blog and am loving it as I’m a newly gluten and dairy free girl and need inspiration! Alcohol tends to bother me a lot too if I drink too much, so I’m excited for a good recipe and I love rum. My only dissenting thought is: I’m doing an elimination diet right now and my ND has me avoiding yeast and she said alcohol as well, due to the yeast from the fermentation process. Just thought I’d mention it because I don’t think this is a yeast-free recipe. I will definitely be trying this recipe though when my elimination diet is over!

Hi Rhoni, I understand your struggle with alcohol. I’m the same way. Just a couple of glasses every 4-6 months is all I can handle. The distillation process that alcohol goes through ends up removing the natural yeasts in the alcohol. The problem is, is that yeast feeds on alcohol. So, if you have a yeast issue (candida) alcohol will make your condition a lot worse. I hope that info helps! Good luck :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

What a great idea! I’d use strawberries, watermelon, honeydew melon and maybe mango!

I always get snacky when I drink so maybe having these would stop me from going for peanuts or chips ;)

Ari @ The Frugally Rich Life

Hey, any way to make this into a non-alcoholic drink? I don’t drink but love the idea of the fruit flavors melding in with the liquid drink. And love, love your fishbowl punch bowl! :)

For sure! You could add it to mineral water and seal it up nice and tight. Or, just do plain water. That would be delicious as well!