Berry Pastry Jam Rolls

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on July 18, 2011

I’ve always had a soft spot for pastries.

I haven’t exactly been able to indulge like I used to since removing sugar, dairy, and gluten from my diet. That was until I tried my hand at a vegan, gluten-free version of Martha Stewart’s pie crust.

First pastry creation – Grilled inside out apple pies *swoon*

After posting this recipe, Sasha suggested I keep pie crust in the freezer at all times…

5 minutes after reading her comment, I marched downstairs, made 2 batches, wrapped them tightly in plastic wrap and stuffed them in the freezer.

A couple of days later I had a craving for jam rolls.

How convenient…

[print_this]

Berry Pastry Jam Rolls

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

Healthified pastry rolled with jam, a family favorite!

Yield: one 12″ roll sliced into 8 sections

• 3.5 tbsp white rice flour
  • 3.5 tbsp brown rice flour
  • 1.5 tbsp potato starch
  • 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
  • 1 tbsp freshly ground flax seed
  • 2 tsp palm sugar
  • 1/8 tsp Himalayan rock salt
  • 4.5 tbsp soy-free earth balance
  • 1-2 tbsp ice water
  • 1/3 cup sugar-free, fruit juice sweetened jam – I used a combination of blueberry and raspberry

To make crust: Pulse flours, sugar, and salt in a food processor to combine. Add earth balance, and process until mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. With machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream through the feed tube until dough just holds together (no longer than 30 seconds). Remove dough and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days).

To make rolls: Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Roll the dough into into a rectangle shape about 12″ x 7″. You want it to be no more than 1/8″ in thickness. Spread jam in a thin layer across the dough, leaving a 1/4″ of the long edges of the rectangle clear of jam. Carefully roll the dough from long edge to long edge [like sushi!] and slice into 8 sections. Place sections on prepared sheet, trying to avoid letting the jam portions touch the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Enjoy!

[/print_this]

My mom used to make these jam rolls with the leftover dough when she was making her delicious apple pies. It wasn’t long until my sister and I came to love the rolls more than the pie itself!

We were out of coconut [I know, gasp!] this morning, so Kevin and I decided to used crumble rolls as a topping for our peaches and protein oats instead. You have to try this combo!

Kevin was in London this past week and Montreal the week before. It was nice to take a moment and enjoy a relaxing breakfast before our day began.

It’s not often that he’ll bring home gifts for me from his travels. But when he does, he knows how to pick them!

Lindt swiss thins are the bomb! The chocolate it so thin and small. It just takes one little sheet to abolish chocolate cravings.

Each sliver has just 15 calories and 0.3g of sugar, so it’s a great alternative to a handful of chocolate chips!

Speaking of bombs, he chose some awesome bath products from Lush, too. Including a new massage oil bar [seriously the best thing ever].

And last but not least, London Tea Company Organic teas. There are so many amazing flavors. I’m most looking forward to trying lavender & chamomile. Why have I never thought to combine the two before?

What dessert reminds you of your childhood?

What’s your favorite tea flavor?

Jess

wow they look so delicious.
All of your photography is amazing by the way.

have a lovely day.
Jess x

Oh jam rolls! My grandma and mom used to can jam and make all kinds of desserts w/ homemade jam.

what desserts remind me of childhood?
The Special K bars on my site ARE my childhood
As well as rice krispy bars, choc chip cookies, anything with cool whip or marshmallows..that’s my childhood :)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

Oh yum!! I’m planning on going berry picking soon, I can’t wait to make jam and THESE!

Kid dessert: cookies n cream ice cream, or Drumsticks ice cream! I don’t eat either anymore, but I ate enough as a kid anyway!

And wow, you made out like a bandit!

Yolanda

A dessert from my childhood would be cheese or apricot kuchen.

And my favorite tea would be the Passion or Decaf Chai from Tazo.

When you have a moment, I posted about my weekend, and I’m walking wounded this morning….still.

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

I love Lush, it’s my favourite cosmetics shop! One of my favourite ways to treat myself is with a bath bomb.

I like chamomile and vanilla tea, or lemon and ginger :)

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well

Yummy!!! Those jam rolls look so wonderful!!! I definitely need to try out that recipe because I always have a craving for sweets and pastries :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg

The rolls look perfect! And good call on keeping pie crust in your freezer.

Lemon bars remind me of my childhood — that was my mom’s go-to dessert recipe so we had it all the time!

Lisa @ Healthful Sense

Those look so yummy. I wish I had frozen gf dough in my freezer right about now :)
Rice krispy treats remind me of my childhood!

Ya! Rice krispy treats! My gosh, I made those once a week at least.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

These look amazing! I was an ice cream girl as a kid. We made a good amount of cobblers too. Those are my favorites and always take me to my childhood.

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan

peanut butter banana sandwich w/ chocolate milk is pure childhood for me, not really dessert, but a sugary lunch! Those rolls are adorable!

Jenny

I’ve never been much of a pie fan, but these look yummy! Maybe I’ll give ‘em a try… and like them more, since they don’t look like pie. :P

Favourite dessert as a kid? Hmm… Probably my mother’s super moist chocolate cake, that she only made me on my birthday! That or the bubblegum ice cream made by Cows, Inc. (Ice cream company that originated on P.E.I.!) And for tea – I do love green tea (genmaicha and sencha and, yes, matcha too~) but cinnamony teas that warm your soul are a favourite, as well. :)

Have a great Monday!

Stephanie

Oh, those little apple pastries are beautiful! I made pie crust for the first time last fall. I’d always been intimidated by it…but it’s really easy!

Hmm.. dessert that reminds me of my childhood? My mom’s tapioca pudding! :) Definate fave.. still have it every now and then!

Kat

These jam rolls sound so tasty. This is definately a recipe I want to try. My mom’s homemade doughnuts remind me of my childhood. I love all teas!

Awww :D How cute! This is what I imagine sitting next to a cup of tea if I ever make it to England :D

Childhood dessert: Tapioca pudding. My mom made it for me all the time when I needed a little comfort :D

Favorite tea: Organic Jasmine Dragon Pearls. So amazing and fresh. They start out as pearls and then grow into seaweed-type stuff…and it tastes so elegant. Definitely would try it if you haven’t already!

I’ve never had tapioca pudding, but a bunch of you guys are suggesting it. I need to give it a try!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons

Ohmygosh how have I never had a jam roll before? I blame mom for giving me swiss rolls instead (ughhhhh mom!) as a kid — but I obv have to make these =) They look divine!!!

Fav tea is boring green or kombucha… and then i’ll get fancy with mint before bed =)

Once I can hunt down these ingredients i’m totally freezing my dough too! though i’m certain it wont last long! hehe

1 week and all of our dough was gone. I decided to hold off on a second batch until next week haha

Ragnhild

The gifts from Kevin is so thoughtful! I usually prefere green tea- mostly because it goes so well with dark chocolate :) Best combo ever!
These rolls looks fantastic! What a great idea to have the dough ready-made in the freezer!

Andrea @ Vegvacious

Wow! You were spoiled rotten :-)

Fave tea is pomegranate green tea. Fave childhood dessert is definitely a no-bake cherry cheesecake. My grandma used to be famous for this!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn

Ahhhh yum!!! I wish I had the energy to make all of your recipes because they are seroiusly amazing. I think I would rather just have you live in my kitchen and cook for me all the time. I’ll pay you in rainbows and butterflies!!!!

I love rainbows! I’ll be right over :P

Kristina @ spabettie

Mmm – these look incredible! danish pastry is the epitome of my childhood – they were my favorite and I looked forward to them around holidays or when we had company staying the weekend… they were a special occasion breakfast.

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

I am definitely swooning over those pastries. Love the jam, how delish ::)

EA-The Spicy RD

These look delicious and would be PERFECT to go with my pear sweetened peach preserves my friend just brought me back from Oregon! Rhubarb pie and boysenberry crumble {both from our garden} remind me of my childhood :-)

Oh my gosh, pear sweetened peach preserves? That sounds ah-mazing!!

Jess@HealthyExposures

These look so good…you’re making me really want some pie crust! They also remind me of my childhood – when my mom baked apple pie, she, too, would take the scraps of dough and roll them up. Instead of jam she’d use some butter, cinnamon and sugar, though. For whatever reason, we called them tootsie rolls…so yummy!

India-leigh @ aveganobsession

ooh, these pastries look so nice. I love your pictures!

from my childhood? My mum made so many. Does cake mix count? I guess I loved her apple crumble the most and shop bought viennese fancies.

fav tea would be green tea with tulsi – makes me feel so zen.

Adora's Box

This looks delicious. Takes the guilt out of indulging. Does this mean we can eat more of it?

Kelly

I LOVE little pastries and I absolutely adore this recipe! Great job Leanne!! :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts

What a great idea to have the dough in your freezer all the time! These look great, and so quick if you have everything on hand already! Sweet hubby – Lindt is the best!

RavieNomNoms

Those look so great! What an awesome little treat

jess☆ @ Multicultural Melbourne

Genius… I’m dealing pretty well with my newly gluten free diet, other than the lack of pastry… Cannot wait to get home from an 11 hour work day to try this!!!

A Kitchen Muse

oooo….you just took me back to my childhood with jam rolls! My Mom made them all the time. Thank you for this and the beautiful photos.

Peggy

These jam rolls look awesome! What a great way to use up leftover pastry dough =)

PolaM

What cute little tasty rolls! I just made a lot of different jams, I think I should try to bake these rolls for a change!

Oh nice! What jams did you make?

Joy

This is a great recipe. My aunt would love it.