I am Fit {June Edition}

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on June 7, 2011

I was blown away with the amount of feedback all of you left on Saturday’s positive affirmations project post.

Some included:

Chelsea: I believe in myself everyday and on days I don’t it’s only because I know I’m not pushing myself to be my best. When that happens I get up and do something about it.

Tori: I have negative thoughts from time to time, but I try to stop and appreciate something I love about myself! It’s so strange how women especially talk negatively to themselves without even thinking twice about it.

O.C: I think that from time to time every one of us struggles with loving, accepting, and believing in ourself. People get so caught up in everyday life that they don’t even realize how mean they are being to themselves! I would never say to another person “you’re unworthy” or “nothing you ever do will be good enough” then why should I allow these toxic thoughts to cross my mind about myself. This post was just the reminder i needed to be a little kinder to myself everyday

Kelsey: i feel like i can say i love myself now and i believe in myself. its really affirming knowing im at a place to finally say that, and it feels wonderful! <3

We’re all in this together!

————————————————-

A year ago…

I was a couch potato.

I wasn’t satisfied with the way my body looked and felt.

Today, I have a nap on the couch before I go out for a run.

Today, I look at myself in the mirror and I’m happy with what I see.

There are good moments and not so good moments. There are days I have to force myself to the gym, and other days where I can’t wait to jump on the treadmill.

When I think of my training, I know that I’m giving it my all, that I listen to my body, and that comparing myself to others is absolutely pointless.

But, it wasn’t always like this!

Positive Affirmations

Just as I spoke down to myself with normal everyday tasks, working out was no exception. I caught myself saying “I can’t run that fast” or, “there’s no way I can swim that many lengths”.

So, when it came time to run or swim, how do you think I did?

To help with this, I’ve created a little mantra I like to repeat to myself before I start a lap, run the track, or begin a race:

Although it may not sound like much, these 11 words have helped me increase my swim time, run faster and stronger, and avoid injury. I feel focused and collected, ready to tackle anything that comes my way.

Other affirmations that help with training:

• I am fit!!
  • I have a strong, balanced, and healthy body
  • I feel great when I train
  • I am filled with energy
  • I always finish strong
  • I am relaxed and focused
  • I am a strong runner
  • My joints are strong
  • I’ve trained successfully for this
  • I am powerful
  • I run because it makes me feel good
  • I am light and fast

Setting Goals

Once I had this going, I thought I was in the clear, but then I started to get discouraged. I wasn’t seeing the results I expected, I was getting overwhelmed by the thought of training for a marathon when I hadn’t even ran a 5km race yet. So, in March, I began setting monthly fitness goals to keep me motivated and encouraged.

May fit goals

• Race: Complete my first 10k race in May
  • Strength: Build a new strength training plan – focus on heavy core + hip work
  • Cross training: Try wall climbing – could be a great alternative to building leg strength
  • Swimming: Get back to swim pace of 25 seconds per 25 meters
  • Cycling: Complete a solid 45 minute time trial at 90rpm with resistance of ~7

How I did

• Race: 10k race — Completed
  • Strength: New strength training plan — Completed and loving it!
  • Cross training: Booked a climbing trip as a birthday present to myself, but we’re not going until July.
  • Swimming: Improve swimming pace — I did not accomplish this because I haven’t been swimming.
  • Cycling: Time trial — completed and nearly died, but I did it!

*new* June goals

• Race: Complete my second 10k race.
  • Strength: Increase weights by 2.5-5lbs depending on workout.
  • Cross training: remove myself from Masters Swim class [bored of swimming] and find something else to do on Saturdays.
  • Running: Get outside more! Turn my Thursday run on the treadmill to a run outside.
  • Inspiration: chose a couple of affirmations and repeat them throughout the day.
  • Stay real: I’ve been having doubts about my 1/2 marathon in August because of my ongoing knee pain. I need to connect with myself and figure out if I’m just scared, or if my body is actually telling me it’s had enough.

What things do you tell yourself before you start a race, training day, or other event?

What fit goals do you have this month?

Cait @ Beyond Bananas

Congratulations on all that you have acheived.. remarkable really! And you uplifting spirits.. your positive thinkin.. affirmations of the self.. are truly wonderful!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn

Aweee my dear I used to be like that too. Isn’t it amazing how much power we have over our own lives?

Alexis

Congrats on all the progress you made in May! That’s wonderful! I think your June goals are awesome! My fit goals for this month are to increase my strength training and find some other forms of cardio that I enjoy!

Jess@HealthyExposures

Congrats on all of your May success! I feel June will be equally as positive for you ;) I can absolutely relate to “not being ______ enough,” too, unfortunately! I am definitely my own worst enemy. It can be a good thing in that it pushes me to do better, but sometimes it’s just too much and makes me too anxious.
I loved reading your running affirmations. It’s all so true! And not only that…but I need to remember that everyone else is so concerned with themselves, they’re not going to worry about me and what I’m doing. (speaking as if I was at a race.)

Jess@HealthyExposures

p.s. don’t i remember you having a water-bottle-belt thing? did i miss your review of that? i thought i vaguely remember you implying one was coming. i might just be crazy, though :P

Oh my! I forgot to post that, didn’t I? Thanks for the reminder. I’ll write it this week!

Jess@HealthyExposures

yay! thank you. can’t wait. i’m looking for something similar, i just don’t know what. i’m afraid i’d find a belt too bulky so I’m eager to hear your thoughts :)

Kaitlyn

Congratulations on all of the May goals you accomplished!! I made some June goals for myself, fitness and otherwise, and after your post I realize I need some mantras to help me reach them. Thank you for your positivity and for sharing your struggles and successes!

Congrats on achieving your goals! It definitely has an impact when you write them down.

One of my fav inspirations/quotes to get out and run is a quote: energy begets energy.

Holly @ The Runny Egg

When I run I definitely tell myself “you can do this” and “you are so strong” — this sounds crazy but sometimes when I’m struggling (like at the end of a long run when I just want to stop, walk or fall on the ground) I tell myself those things and I almost start to cry — I just feel thankful that I can do any activity at all and I feel really proud of myself for trying in the first place. It gets me to push a little more and finish my run.

That`s such a great approach to keep yourself motivated!

KATE

I love positive affirmations and believe they can truly change your perspective. Congratulations on your transformation!

O.C.

Yay for positive thinking and healthy thoughts! If we trulely want to lead the healthiest lives possible, it’s not all in what we consume and exercise but the energetic atmosphere we create for ourselves!
Congratulations Leanne on acheiving your goals you should be so proud of yourself!
My goals for the month are to try and build more muscle, build endurance, and drink more water. just gotta be patient with myself and respect my body and it will all come in its own good time :)

Chelsea

Wow I can’t believe you used my comment :))) My day has officially been made lol! My motivation for running lately has been Melissa. She was like sister to me and she passed away four years ago this summer. Every time I’m running I just tell myself, “Do it for Melissa. Do it for Melissa.” I love how you have your goals organized by category. Mine are all very general, but I’ve always found it a good thing to set goals so you can push yourself. These are mine;
1. Drink A LOT more water! Like constantly! I need to get at least 2 bottles a day in (I’m only getting one not even sometimes).
2. Set a new PR for my 5k run. As of right now my PR is 27min.
3. Go to Austin with Joshua. We’re actually planning a camping trip with friends for sometime this summer so this should be happening!
4. Stick to my 10k training plan :) So far so good! I’ve already set a distance PR of 8miles!
5. Read more books! Like finish reading Time Travelers Wife + another book hopefully.

Sounds like you have great motivation! For the water, something that helps me (and my clients) is to drink as soon as you wake up. And, on your way to and from work. I can usually get 1-1.5 bottles down when I’m driving!

Andrea @ Vegvacious

Your affirmations are fantastic and inspiring!! My fitness/health goals for June are: to start training outdoors for a 5K in September; to stop nighttime snacking; to stick to my 4 – 5 x/wk gym routine (it gets hard as the summer months come along and our social calendar starts filling up!); and to start looking for a beginner’s yoga class, which I’ve been wanting to do for months!

Will it be your first time doing yoga? It’s so relaxing! I hope you like it :)

Fit goals I have..not really fitness per se but health:
I need to make sleep a priority! I cannot cut corners on my sleep trying to get everything else done and shortcut that. That’s what I have been doing and it’s not good! I need to just back off other things, let them not get done, so that I DO get more sleep.

Lovely post, Leanne!

Anna

I love your positive affirmations! My favourite word for myself is ‘strong’ – for so long I was concerned with being thin or whatever, and now I’ve starting valuing my body for what it can do, rather than how it looks – I’m proud of it, I’m proud of the muscle I’ve built and the fitness I’ve gained. It’s why I love strength training and yoga so much, becoming aware of the strength and power of my own body. Hooray for positive change!

Ragnhild

I love when you write these kind of posts!
You are so good at making golds for yourself, and accomplish them! Love that you are so positive, and speak to yourself with such love!
Usually, I dont have any problem making myself run. I love it, and it comes naturally. When I do feel like not running, I either take a restday or I remind myself that I have done this so many times before, I can do it again!
This month Im trying to get a little yoga in every day, usually right after my run before I take my shower!
Good luck with Junes golds Leanne :) I know youll reach them!!

Thanks Ragnhild :) I love the idea of doing yoga after a run, maybe I’ll add that to next months goals!

char @ char on a mission

I love how you have your June goals laid out…definitely would like to organize mine better! Those are great goals…I want to run my first 10K soon. I was going to last week, but the winds were soooo bad, so I decided not to! Hopefully soon though! My goal is run my first half marathon by Sept ’11

Becki

Congrats on the achievements! A great positive to come out of healthy living is trusting in myself; whenever I set myself a goal and make it, it makes me believe and trust in myself more. Now when I say I’m going to do something I know I will achieve it, and I believe in myself more…it’s an endless positive upwards spiral! The critical factor for success is accountability – holding yourself accountable – and by achieving my goals I know I feel successful.

My goals for June are Eat Clean 80% of the time (feeling A-MAZ-ING so far), and get faster when I run. Those running mantras are great – I will have to try some of those next time I’m busting a groove in the pavement.

Having the ability to create a endless positive upwards spiral is a fantastic gift, hold on to it!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies)

GREat goals!! i defs love the run outside more one!! its amazing!!

Lisa @ Healthful Sense

I love how you write out your goals! It makes them so much easier to accomplish when they’re on paper. I don’t really have fitness goals at the moment because my 3 little ones & work keeps me so busy. BUT I plan to start walking/running when I am done nursing. You have inspired me to write down my goals because “planning” without writing down goals is so ineffective.

You’re right! I was setting goals for myself all the time, but I’d never write them down. Now that they’re on my blog, I feel obligated to give it my best shot. Good luck with yours, Lisa :)

Irena

Love the post….so true. Thing I love about workout is the spark of great energy and the powerful -good- feeling after:)