Green Eggs No Ham

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on June 21, 2011

Back in May, we took my Mom out at one of our favorite restaurants in Calgary, the Coup.

I’ve gone to the Coup probably twice a week for the past 5 years, so I’ve literally tried every gluten free item on the menu, except a scrambled egg dish they call “Green Eggs No Ham”. What a cute name, how had I not seen this earlier?

With a name like that, I knew I had to give it a try.

The basil, the greens, the pine nuts, it was so delicious!

As always, I went home and recreated the recipe hoping it could be my new after run meal. I tripled the greens because, well, we could all do with a bit more green in our lives. I upped the basil to increase the magnesium in the dish [magnesium helps to relax your muscles, perfect after a long run].

I’ve been making these scrambled eggs for myself for over a month now so I figured it was about time that I share the recipe with you!

[print_this]

Green Eggs No Ham

Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Corn free

These aren’t your average scrambled eggs. These babies have loads of sweet basil and garlic, enveloped in a creamy pesto, and surrounded by a full serving of greens.

Inspired by the breakfast I had at the Coup after my first 10km

• 6 eggs
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil or other cooking oil
  • 1 head kale, chopped
  • 1 cup spinach, chopped
  • 3-4 leaves fresh basil, chopped
  • handful raw pine nuts

To make pesto: process all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.

Putting it all together: heat coconut oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Once melted, add eggs and mix with a fork. Allow to cook for 5-6 minutes,turning with fork every minute or so. Add kale, spinach, and 3-4 spoon fulls of pesto to the mix and continue to cook until desired consistency is met. I like my scrambled eggs well-done so for me, this was a total of 11 minutes. Add extra basil and pine nuts, mix to combine and serve.

You can use the leftover pesto for a big batch of Pumpkin Pesto Pasta, or use as a delicious sandwich spread!

[/print_this]

If you’re like me and don’t like the consistency of scrambled eggs [I know, I'm weird], adding the greens and pine nuts really help.

My favorite way to enjoy these eggs is wrapped up in a rice tortilla with a bit of hummus, post running fuel at it’s finest.

What’s your favorite meal after a good workout?

I love the title of this post. So cute :)

I read too many Dr Seuss books these days I think…haha!

The recipe looks wonderful!

“I upped the basil to increase the magnesium in the dish [magnesium helps to relax your muscles, perfect after a long run].”= Yes!! Good call! Life, working out, toxins, stress, they all deplete our mag. stores and so anything to replenish them is great!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

I love pumpkin pesto! The vegan cafe has a pumpkin pesto and pumpkin nut cheese that are to die for!

Pretty eggs Love that you added peptias. I definitely don’t use those enough.

Andrea @ Vegvacious

Mmmm – pesto, greens and eggs; I never would have come up with that on my own, but it looks fantastic!! I just so happen to have some parsley and basil in my herb garden that’s dying to be used up and this looks like a great new way to do it!

If you have extra basil, try combining it with lime in your water. It’s so deliciously good!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

I usually do oats after a workout. This looks amazing though. I LOVE the color and flavor combination. Absolutely beautiful!

Heidi @ Food Doodles

I love this. I usually just have a smoothie after a workout because it’s so fast but I’ve been going crazy on the eggs lately so this looks especially good to me. I can’t wait for fresh basil either, I just saw some at the farmers market last weekend so I’m going to be all over that this coming weekend :D

Robyn

I love all the yummy greens in this dish! I prefer my eggs well-done also.

Lisa @ Healthful Sense

I love the combination of eggs + kale. Best post-workout snacks are smoothies, bananas + PB, or a PB sandwich.

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover!

Making pesto with pumpkin seeds is my favorite way to do it!

I get tired of eating the same thing every day after workouts, so I mix it up. eggs and toast, banana-protein smoothies, oat bran, and more!

O.C.

Love the pumpkin seed pesto! So creative :)
After a workout I really like a nice super thick smoothie in a bowl made with coconut or almond milk.

Love green omelets…but ohmygoodness! Why haven’t I thought of putting basil on it before?!! I will fix that tomorrow morning!

Favorite after-workout meal: apples with peanut butter. Fresh, yet protein-full

Ragnhild

MmM, this looks awesome! I have never been a big fan of scrambeled eggs or eggs in general, but this really looks tasty! I have such a big love for pesto, basil, pine nuts and greens. Im thinking, maybe this would work for scrambeled Tofu too?? What do you think? I think I need to try that actually!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty

I lived in Calgary for quite awhile, and I can’t believe I never went to the Coup!!

This sounds delish!!

If you ever come back for a visit, you’ll have to go!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons

*swoon!* this looks AWESOME! the name is the best part =) I would have had to order it just on that alone! that and the no ham part! holler!!!

chinmayie @ love food eat

Awesome recipe! it’s amazing how versatile eggs are! some veggies added to it and you have a great meal for yourself!! I always try to experiment with different seasonings :)

dana @ my little celebration

Cute post title.

After a good workout I like either a piece of peanut butter toast or a big smoothie :D.

michelle

That looks delicious! I’m always trying to get more greens into my day and I don’t know why I never thought of eggs. Can’t wait to to try this.

Halley

How many calories per serving?