Maple Quinoa with Sweet Potatoes and Shallots {guest post}

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on May 26, 2011

Faith is inspirational, not afraid to try jump out of her comfort zone to heal herself, and shares her experience of eating clean, having fun, and loving life. The minute she sent me this recipe I was in awe. Quinoa, maple, sweet potatoes?! A dish that would surely make my heart sing.

Wanna come over and make it for me, Faith? Pleassse!

————————————————————-

Hi! I’m Faith, and I blog over at Lovely as Charged. Like Leanne, I’m passionate about clean eating and developing creative recipes to keep mealtime interesting! I maintain a vegetarian diet and focus on whole foods as much as possible – with plenty of wiggle room for cookies, of course!

Surely you’re no stranger to quinoa – with its high protein content, awesome texture and seemingly endless versatility, it’s no wonder that the grain is one of my go-to ingredients to assemble a dish.

Since I’d never taken a sweet route with quinoa, I decided to try a maple-kissed variation this time around. Warm and comforting, this dish makes a simple one-pot supper, but its subtle sweetness makes it a perfect breakfast dish as well!

That extra pop of protein is a welcome way to start off any morning – or end any long day at work!

[print_this]

Maple Quinoa with Sweet Potatoes and Shallots

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Yeast free, Corn free

Serves Four

• 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 cup (dry) quinoa
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes
  • 2 shallots
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt, to taste
  • Nutmeg, optional, for garnish

1. Bring water to a rolling boil; add quinoa, cover and reduce to low heat.
  2. Puncture sweet potatoes with a fork and microwave for 8 minutes.
  3. Thinly slice the shallots.
  4. In a small pan, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until translucent, stirring often.
  5. Cube the sweet potatoes and stir into the quinoa along with the cooked shallots.
  6. Stir in maple syrup and brown sugar. Add salt to taste and garnish with freshly ground nutmeg. Serve warm.

[/print_this]

I loved the combination of the rich nutmeg and the sweet potatoes with a light sprinkle of sea salt – even though the ingredients and flavors stayed simple, it added an extra layer of complexity to the dish.

Question: Sweet, savory, or a little bit of both: What’s your preference?

Cait @ Beyond Bananas

I love quinoa AND sweet potatoes..and this recipe looks absolutely amazing. Thanks so much for sharing, Faith!

Sarah@The Flying ONION

This sounds *fabulous!* I have been on such a quinoa kick lately, and this sounds right up my alley. :D

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living

I LOVE the sound of this dish! Sweet potatoes and I are the closest of friends, and I adore quinoa. I’m absolutely a proponent of sweet & savory food combinations, and I will definitely be making this sometime soon! I might even toss in a few chopped Medjool dates for some extra sweetness :).

Jess@HealthyExposures

This dish looks like the perfect combination of sweet and savory – my favorite!

Megan

This sounds so good for ANY meal! Especially since Im a huge fan of sweet/savory combos. The best of both worlds. Yum! :)

karen

Looks amazing- cannot wait to try it!
But one question.. microwaving tin foil is a no no… :)
I am sure that is a typo… did you bake them in the oven or microwave them with plastic wrap?
Thanks!

Thanks for pointing that out, Kim. I’ve updated the recipe. Should just be: poke with a fork and cook in the microwave. You could also bake in the oven at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga)

It looks and sounds great. Maple with savory dishes is such a nice touch!

Kate

Just a quick comment, the recipe stipulates “wrap in tin foil then microwave” – surely this is a bad idea? Metals and microwaves don’t mix.

Thanks for pointing that out, I’ve changed it. Must have been a typo.

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour)

This looks amazing! It has everything I’d want in a dish! I don’t have shallots at home, what do you think I could substitute instead? I can’t wait to make this!!!

Hi Kim, white or red onion could be substituted. Good luck!!

Rick

microwaving anything is not a “healthful pursuit” in my opinion. besides that, the dish looks great.

Thanks, Rick. I agree with you, microwaving isn’t the healthiest approach to cooking. But, if it means that someone makes something at home, rather than going out to eat, or opts to have a vegetable based meal over a high fat and sugar option, I’d say go for it. Generally speaking, yes, microwaves are bad. But, it depends on who is making the dish. You could also dice and throw it in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Tori (Fresh Fruition)

I love the combination of sweet and salty! Definitely my favorite combination ever :) If I had to choose one I’d probably go with sweet, though.

birdie to be

This looks delish!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos

my favorite flavors all in one bowl!! love it!!! :D

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

Wow this looks incredible! I’ve never had sweet potatoes and quinoa together which is weird because I love them both! Definitely gonna give this recipe a try :D I love the infusion of the sweet and savory in one dish.

Chelsea

If only I could find where they keep the quinoa hidden in my grocery store…I will find that stuff! I WILL! :)

I’m pretty sure they sell it on Amazon.com if you’re open to that. I’ve also seen it at Costco, if that helps!

Ragnhild

DELICIOUS!! I love quinoa prrage for brakfast, and this is a great way to get some veggies in there too! And maple sirup always make food taste amazing!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food

ohh I love this combination. The quinoa looks so light and fluffy! mm mmm! :)