Berries ‘n Cream Parfaits + Homemade Coconut Yogurt

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on May 5, 2011

I don’t generally toot my own horn, but I have to say I was pretty proud of myself when I made this.

Not because of the pretty parfait [although holy moly are these babies delicious], but because I made my own yogurt.

Homemade yogurt.

How cool is that?

And… it was easy!

I used to judge people who made their own yogurt.

No lie.

Why would you waste your time making your own… when you can just… buy it?

But wait.

By making your own yogurt you can:

• save money
  • use any kind of milk you want – hemp, cashew, almond, oat, sesame…
  • add massive doses of probiotics
  • make all sorts of unique flavors – lavender, honey, chocolate hemp, rose, apple cinnamon, pumpkin spice, carrot cake, zomg!

I swear I must have said “I am making my own yogurt right now” 50 times in the last 2 days.

But on with the parfaits…

I made 2 out of the recipe below. One for me, one for Kevin. He said it was too complex of a breakfast [he's a toast + honey kinda guy] so I got to enjoy both parfaits! What a treat.

Would you believe me if I told you I’ve never had a parfait before?

Brilliant invention, just brilliant.

I also loved that the second parfait kept well in the fridge until the following morning. I will definitely be making these again [and doubling the recipe!].

Berries ‘n Cream Parfaits

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Yeast free, Corn free

Raspberry puree, homemade coconut yogurt, vanilla protein yogurt, and lime marinated strawberries topped with coconut and fresh mint leaves.

Yogurt layer

• 1 tbsp apple juice
  • 2 tsp coconut sugar
  • Zest of 1 lime
  • Juice from 1 lime
  • 1 tsp mint, chopped [optional]
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut

To make the strawberry topping: mix the apple juice, coconut sugar, lime zest, and lime juice in a medium sized bowl. Add the strawberries and place the bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes.

To make the raspberry sauce: dilute arrowroot powder with cool water. Set aside. Heat the raspberry purée and lemon juice in a small pot on medium heat, whisking for 2-3 minutes. Add the arrowroot mixture to the raspberry mixture and continue to whisk until boiled. It should get thicker over 2-5 minutes. Once you’ve reached the desired thickness, allow to cool before dividing between two glasses.

Bringing it all together: raspberry sauce should already be at the bottom of your two glasses. Top with yogurt, then granola, strawberries. Repeat once more and top with mint leaves and shredded coconut.

Makes 2 parfaits.

Homemade Coconut Yogurt

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

• 800mL reduced fat coconut milk
  • 2 tbsp coconut butter
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch white powdered stevia – if you don’t like stevia, use 1-2 tbsp coconut/palm sugar or honey
  • 2 tbsp freshly ground chia seed *see note
  • 8 servings of non-dairy probiotics – I used this acidophilus
  • Medium sized cooler + boiling water OR 1 towel + heating pad

1. Place coconut milk, coconut butter, vanilla, and stevia in a blender. Turn on high for 8 minutes. [This should heat your yogurt to the desired temperature. If you have a weak blender, transfer to a saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 4 minutes before bringing back to the blender to add your chia seed]
  2. Continue to blend while adding chia seed. Blend until mixed before turning blender off and removing lid.
  3. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
  4. Add probiotics, return lid and pulse.
  5. If doing the cooler version:place boiling water in cooler to the 3 inch mark. Once the yogurt has cooled, pour into 2 – 1000mL mason jars and place in the cooler for about 15 hours. You may have to change your water halfway through to ensure it’s hot enough. Refrigerate for 8 hours.
  6. If doing the heating pad version: once the yogurt has cooled, pour into 2 – 1000mL mason jars and wrap in a heating pad [set on lowest setting] and a towel. Allow to sit for 15 hours. Refrigerate for 8 hours.

Makes ~ 4 cups of yogurt.

note: the chia seed is what thickens the yogurt. If you make this yogurt with other nut milks, more chia seed may be needed. For example: almond milk yogurt will need a total of 4-6 tbsp ground chia seed. I found that anything past 4 tbsp of chia begins to taste very chia-like. Another alternative to chia would be agar agar flakes but I would start with a small amount of 1-2 tsp until desired consistency is met.

Have you ever made your own yogurt?

If you made your own yogurt, what milk would you use?

What’s the best breakfast you’ve had in the last week?

Holly

I want to try this recipe! It looks so delicious!

I was reading the recipe and am confused, wondering how the yogurt gets hot??? I am not sure if there is a missing step or if it just gets hot from processing it for 8 minutes???

Thanks for pointing that out, Holly. I’ve added a bit more details to the post to clarify.

Holly

Thank you!!! I am going to make this for Mother’s Day brunch :)

Cait @ Beyond Bananas

How cool that you made your own yogurt! IIt is a long process, but seems great. I would use almond milk if I made my own!

Sam

Oh I just love every single thing you post! This looks amazing. I love parfaits, it‘s a great combo of fruit yogurt and granola, but THIS parfait looks awesome, i love the raspberry sauce! I must make this one day…but I am a bit afraid of making my own yogurt!

Don’t be afraid, just jump! It’s suuuuuper easy.

Sam

The idea of non dairy yogurt is very tempting…maybe next week on my days off this will be attempted… :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)

Love coconut milk yogurt and I make coconut milk kefir on my countertop (so easy, dont even need to “do” anything other than just wait) but LOVE that you made this!!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

I have never made my own yogurt, but thats pretty cool! You always make me want to try new things!

pawsitivelife

those parfaits look amazing! my friend makes her own yogurt and I was a little judgy judgy, but than again it is sooo hard to good gelatin-free yogurt that I no longer judge.plus she saves a ton of moola

YAY! I dairy-free, sugar-free yogurt while I have all the ingredients :) :) I love parfaits, but I haven’t been eating them lately because I don’t eat dairy….and the all the non-dairy yogurts have a TON of sugar in them. I can’t find one unsweetened! Sigh….No worries! I can make my own now :)

When I was a kid, my sis and I would always make our mom or dad breakfast parfaits in bed on their birthdays and mother’s day and may day ;) W would put it in a sundae jar and layer grape-nuts and fresh fruit! Haha…memories…

Jess@HealthyExposures

Okay, that is too awesome that you made your own yogurt. I get the hugest kick out of making things that are often store-bought, like when I discovered I can make my own nut milks! Yogurt is way more badass, though :P It always works out that it is wayyyy less expensive and you can make stuff exactly to your tastes. If only I had the time to make my own bran cereal every week :P Irrelevant to yogurt? Yes. Still awesome? I think so.
I’d love to try it with almond milk. Or – ooh! – cashew milk!

I know, right? I was like… I’m all badass and stuff. If you made your own bran flakes I would be soooo envious. I tried to make my own cereal and it burnt to a crisp. Cherrios are hard to make :|

Chad @ thebreakupnote

That just looks incredible. I am always blown away by your recipes. Now I want to make my own coconut pudding.

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos

wow!!! didn’t realize making your own non-dairy yogurt was this easy!!! your parfaits look heavenly~~~

brandi@BranAppetit

those are so beautiful!

i’ve made my own homemade yogurt, too, with local milk! it was so good!

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Yummy! I’ve made my own dairy yogurt before but I would loooove to experiment and make some plant based yogurt. How cool would that be :D Your parfaits look amazing! I can almost taste the strawberries they look so juicy in the pictures.
This has been the week of yummy breakfasts, I had a chocolate dutch baby with a homemade strawberry sauce one morning and this morning was chocolate chia seed pudding with banana soft serve parfait with more strawberry sauce. <3 breakfast! :D

I’m so impressed by you right now! Can you just mail me some? :)

My favorite breakfast this week was today’s – I made Mexican Oatmeal in honor of Cinco de Mayo. Con cayenne.

Jenny

I love how pretty parfaits are! I love making them, but rarely ever do because I have such a hard time eating them… I like it when everything is mixed together! Do most people use those long iced tea spoons to eat them, I wonder?

I love making my own yogurt. :) I especially love how I can make it as tangy as I like! Greek yogurt at home is so much easier than I initially conceived it to be, too, haha. I just prefer plain ol’ cow’s milk yogurt, but goat’s milk yogurt is pretty delicious too, actually. Though I probably shouldn’t say that before trying almond milk or soy yogurt!

Best breakfast this week: YOUR apple pie millet breakfast bake! I don’t know if it’s still officially your favourite breakfast, but it’s now officially MY favourite breakfast. I think I might try doing it with blueberries and blueberry juice next…

I used long ice cream spoons. They were perfect for scooping all layers in one bite. Blueberry would be SO good!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

Oh my gosh, seriously – these sound so freakin delicious! I would love to use coconut milk or almond milk to make my own yogurt – it sounds relatively simple, so I need to remember to give it a try! :)

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

You have seriously outdone yourself Leanne, these parfaits look incredible! Can’t get over the fact that you made your own coconut yogurt. How impressive! Love it :D

stephchows

I’ve never made my own but MAN does your version sound amazing!!

Kelly

WOW! How gorgeous and healthy is this?! Love the presentation, the colors, the ingredients….everything! :)

Heather

I’m so impressed! I’m not that advanced in my culinary trials yet, but this looks great. The presentation is a Spring strawberry lovers dream. It looks too pretty to eat.

Olivia

I’ve made my own yogurt before, but it was with organic cows milk and took a LONGGG time! I LOVE this idea of coconut milk yogurt using the blender; that’s seriously GENIUS! and so so pretty! My best brekkie so far this week was these AMAZING chocolate oats I had this morning, layered w/ banana softserve, fresh raspberries and TONS of whipped cream! LOVE IT!

Yum! That breakfast sounds perfect!

Ginger&Rice

Soo pretty! And very fancy :)

Courtney

Yum! Your pictures look like they could be in a magazine, so pretty! :D

Chrissy

These are beautiful!! I’ve never thought to make my own yogurt, but now I am intrigued! Can’t wait to try it :)

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness of Life

Those are beautiful! Girl, you blow my mind. You are seriously so amazing and talented! I am definitely making this recipe and I can’t WAIT to make my own yogurt. That recipe looks so simple and amazing! Why have I not make my own yogurt before?! I don’t know. But when I do, I’m definitely using coconut milk :-) There’s no question about it.

Thanks Alaina :)

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen

This comment is for Kevin – When someone awesome gives you something awesome to eat you eat it. Eat it and like it. :P

haha your comment made us both smile. I wont be holding my breath on him obeying your commands. But that’s okay, leaves more for me!

Tracy @ Commit to Fit

These look yummy! I have never made my own yogurt before (it always seemed like way to much work), but I think I may give it a try!

Vivienne

wow you might have just converted me as well…im one of those ppl who sneers at yogurt makers hehe. didnt know you can make it with coconut milk tooo!! the parfaits look soo pretty and cheery…starting the day with it sounds perrrfect!

Charissa

Nice! In this case, I think it most appropriate to toot your own horn, lol…making your own yogurt is a big deal! :)

Best breaky this last week? tone tone bread with honey. Haha. I guess I’m like your husband today.

Laura

Can’t wait to try this – looks amazing! And I need sugar and dairy free!

Celina

OK, so I was hoping there would comments from people who actually tried this recipe . . . .but alas, I’ll just have ask the question myself. I’m wondering about temperatures. I did mine in my vitamix so it got good and hot. I let it cool for 10 min before adding the probiotics. So after the probiotics are added you say to put the jars into the cooler “once the yogurt has cooled”. I am wondering how “cool” “cooled” is :) – so like room temp? luke warm?

Thanks!!!

Luke warm is perfectly fine. Good luck!

Celina

OK, one more question – sorry – I’m really not trying to be a bother!

I just took my yogurt out of the cooler and put it in the fridge. Does it typically separate? I’ve got about an inch of liquid on the bottom. Regardless, I can’t wait to try it!

Interesting… mine didn’t separate. Could be the kind of coconut milk used? Just give it a good shake and you should be fine!

Laura

I was wondering about your choice of acidophilus, and what the “rules” are for choosing a probiotic to start the yogurt. Any help would be appreciated!

Blessings,
Laura

Powdered probiotics are a must for yogurt making. Any strain will do the trick. I wrote a post about how to chose supplements, in it there is a probiotics section http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/06/supplements-essential-vs-nice-to-have/

Freebies

I tried the yogurt last night- and I did not have success.

It was thick in the morning but not tangy and I felt like the chia gave it a “floury” taste (I guess it was the chia?)

I was bummed

jenetta

That’s interesting, mine was not at all floury! It could have been the coconut milk you used. You could try adding 1 tbsp of lemon juice to it and allowing it to sit overnight. The lemon should give it the tang taste. Sorry it didn’t work out for you, Janetta.

Freebies

Leanne- was yours tangy? I have read that the tang is because of it culturing correctly- I was kind of afraid of it :) that it was not tangy

jenetta

Kara

What kind of coconut milk did you use? Canned or SO Delicious or something else?

I use canned coconut milk. I believe for this recipe, I used the fat reduced version.

Stephanie

Loving your site, my husband and I are trying to get pregnant and it has been a long road so we have gone the gluten, sugar, dairy free road and I was so glad to have come across your blog:)
I made your yoghurt last night and WOW:) it was so easy I actually made it in an EasiYo yoghurt maker which works on the boilingwater principle and it is just a big thermos basically that everything goes into. I also currently have my nuts soaking to make granola. I am in Australia and always had this perception that granola was a terribly unhealthy thing that Americans ate:) thanks for setting me straight, it will become a staple in our house.
Steph x

I’m so happy that you and your husband enjoyed the yogurt… and that you’ve turned to the granola dark side ;) Good luck with your baby journey, sounds like you’re taking all the right steps!

Jennifer

Steph (who’s doing her darndest to give me a neice or nephew ;) ! ) has just put me onto your blog as my 4 year old son is lactose intolerant (we’ve known that for about 18 months) but he’s just been diagnosed as Coeliac too. I can’t wait to try some of these recipes, it will make our learning curve that much easier, thanks!

Nikki

İ would like to give some hints for yoğurt making. I grown up in Turkey and yoğurt is originally from Turkey. I am making my own yogurt for decades. If you boil the milk on low heat it is much better. After boiling wait 10 – 15 minutes and check it with your little finger. If your finger doesn’t burn but can’t keep in that is the temperature. Just add a table spoon plain yogurt in it and slowly mix with the spoon and cover it with a big towel and set aside.
You don’t need heating pad just use a towel. I don’t use lid for the cup too. Make sure the towel doesn’t touch the milk. I let it sit for 5-6 or longer hours. Usually I make it before I go to bed and it is ready in the morning.
Plain yogurt is something I must have. I use it for so many different kinds of soups, appetizers,
main courses and deserts.
There are so many simple and health recipes. If I have some time I’ll try to share some.
Thanks,

Heather Brandt

Could I use a yogurt maker with this recipe?

You sure could!

Candace

Hi! I just stumbled on this, can it be made in a yogurt maker? I’m vegan and hate the waste from the yogurt containers you buy at the store plus its $$.

In Peace

Candace

Oh my I feel like an airhead right above my question is the answer….ha ha.. oh well

Samantha

Just wondering what the purpose of the coconut butter is? Could I omit it/substitute it? I would really like to try this but don’t want to buy a whole thing of coconut butter when I know I probably won’t use it for anything else! Thanks!

Candace@ The Wheatless Kitchen

Holy deliciousness! I too have turned up my nose to homemade yogurt, but you definitely make me want to try this :)