You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream!

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on April 16, 2011

Remember how I told you at the beginning of the week that I’d ordered an ice cream machine?

Well, Sears called me on Thursday to tell me it had been delayed a week.

Wait a minute, why did I order this online when there’s a Sears on my way home? I could pick it up on Friday!

I canceled the order, shuffled things around in my kitchen to make way for my new appliance, and made myself another batch of strawberry ice cream, freezer style.

Behold..

The new King of my kitchen…

TADAH!

‘aint she a beauty all nestled in with my other favorites?

[sodastream - an instant soda maker, great for homemade mineral water + my 4 year old vitamix]

It was easy to clean, put together, and…

Wait, what? I have to freeze the bowl first?

For 6-22 hours? That’s a pretty wide time range.

!%$&(@#% I want ice cream NOW!

I compromised, put the bowl in the freezer, and made myself another batch of strawberry ice cream, freezer style.

I sense a theme here.

While I was out buying an ice cream machine and thinking of glorious recipes I was going to create with said ice cream machine, I also managed to find some awesome clearance items at Nutters!

$1.00 rice wraps. Purchased after being swayed by Kristina’s fresh salad rolls recipe.

$1.99 mystery butter. For the salad rolls.

$2.50 each for original + herb tempeh. Every time Ashley mentions tempeh, my tummy gets all rumbly. It’s about time I picked some up!

$3.00 yeast free vegetable bouillon.

$0.99 each for local grass fed liver + summer sausage. Yes, I said $0.99!!!

Have you ever cooked liver? Any recommended recipes? I have no idea what I’m doing.

The oats weren’t on sale, but I can’t get over how cheap oats are compared to other gluten free grains.

These were only $4.00 each.

After I put away the groceries, it was time to tackle the pantry.

To keep our kitchen organized + prevent funky things from growing, I rotate pantry + fridge clean outs every Friday.

There is a method to my madness.

The middle shelf: grains > seeds > flavors > bouillons > teas > powders > breakfast cereals > nut butters

The bottom shelf: onions > potatoes > sugars > oils > milks > box of goodies from Enjoy life, Kaia foods, and Manitoba Harvest.

The middle shelf: beans > tomatoes > dates > cereal > flours [that wont fit in our tiny freezer]

Top shelf: pasta > wine > wine > parchment paper > random junk

I know where everything is at all times… so long as Kevin doesn’t touch anything.

He has his own corner, don’t worry.

I turned around to check on the ice cream bowl and was greeted with this…

ugh. When will the snow ever end?

Silver lining: Kevin took off the first week in June to work on the yard + fence with our neighbor! I can’t wait to have grass!

Gold lining: Late night oatmeal raisin cookies

[print_this]

Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined Sugar free, Yeast free

Inspired by the amazing comments you’ve left on what your favorite cookie in the whole wide world is. It’s obvious that [chewy] oatmeal raisin is the bestest!

• 3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats [not quick-cooking]
  • 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp almond flour
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup coconut sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking mat.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, almond flour, raisins, baking soda, and salt, set aside.
  3. Using an electric mixer, beat coconut oil and sugar until combined. Add egg and vanilla, beat until smooth. Gradually add oat mixture; beat just until combined.
  4. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 13-16 minutes [mine took 15 minutes] until cookies are golden but still soft.
  5. Cool 5 minutes on sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 8 cookies.

Best served with almond cashew butter! Yummy!

[/print_this]

Okay, off to swimming I go.

Have an awesome Saturday :)

What are you up to this weekend?

What’s the last kitchen appliance you got that you were really excited about?

Cait @ Beyond Bananas

6-22 hours? To freeze a bowl? Absurd. Think of how wonderful the ice-cream will be when you can finally enjoy it! Hopefully well worth the wait!!

I know, right?! Bah. Thanks Cait :)

Jess@HealthyExposures

this post is oozing hot, gooey amazing awesomeness. yep.
you know the only reason it was snowing was because you bought an ice cream maker, right? murphy’s law. you asked for it. I put my winter coat away the other day and the temps dropped back down to below freezing. UGH! I want spring!! I can’t wait to see what ice cream you make first, though!!
and the cookies!! i think i’m finally getting my baking groove back and some good cookies to bring to work might be nice ;) But…cashew-almond butter? I need some of that in my life. I can only imagine how good it is!
Last appliance I was excited about? My processor! It was a while ago, but I haven’t bought anything else lately!!
Have a wonderful weekend, Leanne!

You know, I don’t think I ever put my winter jacket(s) away. Our weather always seems to surprise us no matter what the season.
Kevin wouldn’t stop hassling me last night about making ice cream. At 12am he said PLEASE JUST MAKE ME SOME. Fine. So I made mint chocolate chip. To make it green, I used a couple of leaves of spinach. Well, that baby churned for a good hour and nothing happened. The bowl was NOT cold enough. haha sooo we drank liquidy ice cream before bed. Fail.
Cashew-almond butter is delicious! I’d never tried it. I make 1 nut butter a week and I think this’ll be the one!
Gosh, I need a new processor so badly. Mine has a crack down the blade. Every time I make nut butters I fear for my life.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend too, Jess :)

Stefanie

My favorite appliance is my food processor. Homemade nut butters and hummus for me. Those cookies look really good.

It will be well worth the 6-22 hrs it takes to freeze the bowl of the icecream maker. If you can, leave it in there longer to insure better icecream freezing.

When I got my ice cream maker I was devastated when I discovered the bowls had to freeze too! It’s like a cruel joke! :)

I don’t know about liver… but I really want to hear about it when you cook it!

Totally cruel. They should really have a disclaimer on the box. I don’t know if I would have bought it otherwise. Well, I take that back. I’m sure once I make my first batch I’ll be far too excited to care about the bowl experience.

Jenny

whenever I hear liver I always think of an episode of Doug when he had to eat liver and onions. Oh my god I miss that show!

My favorite gadget used to be my magic bullet until the motor ran out. Now I just have a toaster :(

Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about Doug! Man, that was a good show.

Kristina @ spabettie

YAY for new appliances – your counter looks like mine, I have the same model of soda maker and an old vita… love Love LOVE them all! :) my ice cream maker says at least an hour to freeze – I imagine it’s filled with the same “stuff”? an hour has definitely worked for me, as I am always Ice Cream Impatient too!! :D

I tried 3 hours last night and was left with soppy ice cream. Bah! I’ll try it again tonight. I’m confident it will work this time. Yay for the soda stream. Those things are amazing, right? I remember it being a little bit on the expensive side, but it’s one of those lifelong appliances so it’ll pay for itself at some point.

Jillian

I’ve been reviewing machines for months now. I like the square shape of the base on yours. Reviewers on Amazon talk about the ice cream being difficult to get out of the round machines because they’re difficult to grip. 2 quarts of ice cream is too much for me. Do you know if there’s a minimum amount that you can make with your machine? If I could do one quart without damaging anything, that would be perfect!

BTW many reviewers recommended getting an additional freezer bowl to cut down that 6-20 hour freezer time between batches. :-)

I just looked through the booklet and it doesn’t say anything about a minimum requirement. Having played around with it a bit, I’m sure you could get away with using as little as you’d like. I’m trying it with 1 cup of coconut milk tonight, so I’ll let you know how it goes. I love the idea of getting an extra bowl, brilliant!!

Parsley Sage

I’m loving the day you’re having. 6 hours to freeze Ice cream bowl?…no problem! I’ll just make my own, dammit. Can wait to see your awesome ice cream creations tho. I’m curious about liver as well… Oh, and my favorite appliance is my can automatic opener. Pretty vanilla, huh? Sigh.

Hope you enjoy your swim. I start training for the sea swim tomorrow…not looking forward to it since my spinning instructor just tried to kill me with a two hour ride. Yeesh. By the way, I featured your salad on my site today. I’m still all about the croutons :)

Leah Jones

We got an ice cream maker for Christmas… It’s been in use more than weekly ever since! The only thing we found with ours (which is also made by Cuisinart) is that it doesn’t make multiple batches back to back. We just had an ice cream party for my one year old, though. And it was beautiful and dairy free! I don’t think most people realized. Our favorite flavor is a coconut based chocolate mint. Thanks for your posts! I’m really enjoying following your blog!

An ice cream party is a fabulous idea! We just tried to make chocolate mint last night [and colored it with spinach] I guess the bowl wasn’t cold enough though, because it was a major fail. Hope you’re having a fabulous weekend, Leah :)

Stephanie

This is the second post I’ve read in as many days about ice cream makers! It’s a sign from the universe. I need to get one.

You’re right, it must be!

Vicky

You must have read my mind because it’s such a cookie making afternoon. It’s a cold and rainy day here and there’s not much else I feel like doing. Plus I love that these are low sugar, use coconut sugar and only make eight! Hello! It seems like every cookie recipe out there makes 24-36 cookies. At that point, I might as well just tape them to my butt because that’s where they’re going anyway LOL

I’d love a Kitchen Aid stand mixer but I’m trying to save money so at this point I’ll live with my hand held mixer. Let us know how you like the ice cream maker :)

haha I couldn’t agree with you more. When I first started out, I was making recipes to feed an army. It wasn’t good for keeping balance at all. We ate all of the cookies I made last night, but at 4 each, I wasn’t too torn up about it.
I have a hand held mixer and it does the trick… hand held unite!

(what runs) Lori

I love livers! I have a good recipe- let me get back to you on that. I just made it last week! Mmmm..

PERFECT! I’ve been looking around, but you never can be sure… I trust your pallet, everything you make looks delicious. Can’t wait to get that recipe!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)

Love the cookies…yum…and thanks for showing us your organization and stash of everything.

I dont have an ice cream maker and b/c I am not personally a big ice cream girl (I like other sweets rather than ice cream….lol) I don plan to get one…but I really want a kitchen aid stand mixer. Along with my zillion other appliances I have (or want!) :)

Not an ice cream girl?! *gasp* You’re fantastic with treats of all sorts, so I forgive you for not being into ice cream. A kitchen aid stand mixer would be hawt! I think I’d go nuts if I had one. I’ve had a hand held mixer for as long as I can remember. Here’s hoping you get one soon!

Corey Knoettgen

I have had the same Cuisinart ice cream maker for five years now, and it is an amazing machine compared to the competition, but I will give you some advice that will save you days of frustration – a super-cold freezer and always use heavy whipping cream instead of substitutes. The key to getting a good batch is making sure your freezer is super-cold. Originally, after getting a soupy batch, I was about to give up on the machine. But I happened to have a second freezer at the time that was for long-term storage – it was so cold that layers of frost were on everything inside. After leaving the bowl in that particular freezer, I decided to give the ice-cream maker one more try and have been successful ever since. Even though it says 6-22 hrs in the manual, I would always leave it in for 24 hours before making a batch – room permitting, leave the bowl in the freezer permanently. If you want a no-wait ice cream maker, you can get Cuisinart’s self-freezing model at Williams-Sonoma, but it is quite pricey ($225 the last tiem I checked). The one that you have is great for making gelato – the only one I know of that can do it without having to get a specialized gelato maker. Good luck!

Thank you for all of your suggestions, Corey! Thankfully our freezer leaves frost on everything, so I think we’re covered there! I’ll be sure to leave it in the freezer for 24 hours. Thanks a bunch :)

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

I am obsessed with my ice cream maker, well it’s my boyfriend’s but what’s his is mine right? ;) So many delicious fro-yo recipes that we’ve been making. Can’t wait to see some awesome recipes from you :D

Jennifer H

I am really happy to have found your blog with so many healthy treats! I look forward to trying many of your recipes posted here. Thanks!

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Haha it’s so cruel that you have to freeze the bowl, mine has the same thing. I got my ice cream maker and was so excited and then so disappointed. Oh well, it’s worth it :D Your cookies look amaaaaazing. And, dare I say it, would probably be awesome with a spoonful of ice cream sandwiched in between two of them. Mmm. How can you tell I’m craving sweet things? Haha. I think the last thing I was really excited about was my food processor. I never owned one before and my hubby got me one. I was so excited. I used it multiple times a day for weeks when I first got it! :D

I thought of that after we’d eaten all the cookies. I’m with you on the food processor. I’ve asked for one for my birthday… we’ll see if I get one…

Natalie

I want an ice cream machine too! Ever since I heard you can make it with coconut milk I’m desperate. Doesn’t look like you need to put the bowl in the freezer for hours just put it outside ;D. What’s all that snow all about it’s Spring?! Chewy raisin cookies look great, I just made some with orange blossom & apricots because it is Spring here, sorry to rub it in !! :D

You can still make it in the freezer if you don’t have an ice cream maker! It’s a bit more tedious, but it’s ready in 2 hours as opposed to 22 hours!! Orange blossom + apricot cookies sound delicious, such a spring cookie!

Sonia @ Food Obsessed

I have the exact same ice cream machine. I never use it because it takes up way too much room in the freezer… Plus, to me, ice cream has always been equal to loads of fat and sugar! However, I’ve been toying with the idea of making “protein ice cream” for my post work out snacks, to eat instead of my usual protein shake. When the temperature warms up a bit, (we got snow too…) I’ll probably be more compelled to make this idea a reality.

We made chocolate mint ice cream last night with coconut milk, dates, cacao nibs, spinach, and peppermint extract. It was SO delicious! But you’re right, it does take up a lot of room… but it works as a great compartment for my frozen bag of quinoa! Protein ice cream sounds like a fabulous idea. I was thinking of doing the same with my morning smoothies.

Kate

I love oatmeal raisin cookies, especially when they are chewie! These look awesome and I love that you looked like you were dipping them in almond butter. I loveeeeee almond butter! :-)

I’ve never used almond butter on cookies, someone suggested it a couple of days ago and I was intrigued. It’s amazing! If you like chewy oatmeal raisin cookies, you’ll love, love, love them with almond butter!

Rekha K

Cookies look absolute delish…. just perfectly melt in mouth :)

torviewtoronto

cookies look delicious
I have the same ice cream machine :)

Isn’t it amazing? We’ve had so much ice cream [100% healthy of course, but still fantastic!]

julie

Those cookies look delicious! I love how you have such a wonderful healthy alternative to your recipes :)