Sleepy Blueberry Muffin Smoothie

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on March 12, 2011

Happy Saturday!

I’m just about to head to the gym for a 60 min swim + 45 min run + stretch/core. Woot!

Tomorrow is my rest day. Words cannot express how giddy I am.

Another thing that makes me equally as giddy?

glass dharma straws.

Gail over at glass dharma was kind enough to send me a sample of their handmade glass straws and I’ve spent the last week testing them out. Boy, I’m in love!

I don’t exactly know what I was expecting, but it sure wasn’t this!

It’s evident that glass dharma puts a lot of thought and care into their brand and presentation. Look at how beautiful the packaging is!

I received 4 straws in total [in order of the picture above]:

• Extra long 9.5mm x 10″. They say it’s the perfect straw for mojitos so when the opportunity arises I know what straw to grab. In the meantime though I did enjoy this straw in my mineral water + juice concoction last night.
  • “Decorative Dots” amber straw that’s 7mm x 6.25″. I’ve loved using this one with the small glass of chocolate almond milk I drink while Kevin and I watch movies.
  • Bendy straw! [aka "Beautiful Bends"] it’s 12mm x 9 ” in size and is my favorite out of all of them. I was the kid that went bonkers for the bendy straws at birthday parties so this is quite the treat.
  • “Decorative Dots” red straw that’s 9.5mm x 9 “. It’s a perfect size. I cannot believe there are 2 sizes up from this one. It’s just right for my morning smoothies and is just so darn beautiful!

What I love about glass dharma’s products is

• Lifetime guarantee. If your straw breaks, glass dharma will replace it for free! Even for a klutz like me!
  • Easy to clean. At an additional cost, each straw can come with a matching brush. Hypothetically if I were to leave my smoothie cup on my desk all day and night and day again… the straw would still be easy to clean!
  • Hot and cold drinks. Have you ever wanted to drink your tea out of a straw? I did on Wednesday, and it was awesome.
  • Plastic free. The less plastic in our lives the better, especially when it comes to the plastics around our food.
  • Good to the environment.We [used to] go through so many disposable straws with our somewhat daily coconut dessert smoothies [Kevin refuses to drink smoothies without straws]. We’ve completely slashed our impact on the environment. Every little bit counts!

I can’t wait to make more smoothies and drinks featuring these straws! They were so fun to shoot.

*All of the opinions above are my own and were not influenced by glass dharma*

Sleepy Blueberry Muffin Smoothie

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free

What’s better than eating a muffin? DRINKING a muffin! All measuring and preparation is done the night before you enjoy this delectable breakfast so you can still start your day off right and get to sleep in for a couple of minutes.

• 1 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup blueberries [fresh or frozen]
  • 2 tbsp uncontaminated regular oats – alternatively you can use packaged gluten free oatmeal, gluten free granola, or quinoa flakes
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder – I used Manitoba Harvest [more on my review of their chocolate + vanilla protein powders tomorrow]
  • 1 tbsp chia

To be made the night before you plan on eating it, or at least 4 hours in advance

1. Night before: combine all ingredients [but the blueberries] in a glass or plastic container. Stir to combine and place in fridge.
  2. Morning: pour contents of container into blender, add blueberries and blend until smooth.

Nutrition stats: calories 282; fat 11g; carbohydrates 25g; dietary fiber 12g; sugars 7g; protein 9g

I just love preparing my breakfast the night before. It makes life so much easier.

What activities do you have planned for today?

Kevin and I are going to make chicken teriyaki sushi tonight for dinner. Pretty excited about it!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen

Oh you did it again. I swear you know me! Making it! ha! ♥- Katrina

haha thanks Kartina, I’m glad we share similar tastes in food! Let me know how you like it!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen

Yeah – you’d never know it from my blog, huh?! I guess I’m a closet healthy eater! LOL Well, if I eat healthful most of the time I can enjoy a sweet some of the time!! ♥- K

kate@ahealthypassion

OMG im making these tomorrow I have been craving blueberry muffins, by the way I love the straws I want a set so badly!

Parsley Sage

This looks so good! I just got done spinning and I treated myself with bacon. A blueberry smoothie would have been so much better!

First time I read your comment my brain switched around some words and I could have sworn I read that you wanted to add bacon to the smoothie! haha umm I’m not sure that would taste good haha. There’s always tomorrow!

Kristina

Ohhh that smoothie looks awesome! Love Glass dharma-drinks can’t taste any better when you’re using them!

That’s exactly it. Drinks do taste better with glass dharma! The straws just prettify the whole presentation.

Christina @ This Woman Cooks!

Your smoothie looks delicious! I like setting up my breakfast the night before too, makes getting up in the morning easier.

Completely, one less thing to worry about is a great thing!

Tara @The Game of life

That looks great, and the straws are a nice add :) I am on spring break so I plan on chilling all day, and maybe laying out! Its soo pretty out!

Christie {Nourishing Eats}

I have been wanting to get some glass straws for ages!

Just got back from the market and now the husband and I have some errands to run. Have a great weekend!

Jess@HealthyExposures

I see those straws every so often and they look so fun! Very beautiful, too. Glass work is sort of fascinating to me :)
And the smoothie looks awesome!! I cannot wait for berry season so I can have endless amounts of strawberries and blueberries in my fridge.

I couldn’t agree with you more. We live down the street from a berry farm, its just 20 minutes away! mmmm how long till summer? I’m dying!

Lauren @ WWoB

OH my GOSH! I WANT THESE STRAWS!! My housemates and I are all obsessed with straws and use them with everything possible haha!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

Those straws are so awesome! And I totally love preparing breakfast the night before which is why I enjoy making overnight oats for convenience. Love the smoothie, anything with blueberries is a win for me :)

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

I would love to drink a muffin–yum!! :)

I’ve been wanting to order glass Dharma straws! They sound fabulous! :)

Robyn

Those straws look cool! Also, I love that most of this smoothie can be made the night before. I think that’s why I’ve never really gotten on board with smoothies in the morning – I just don’t have that much time! Not owning a blender is probably another factor – food processors just don’t yield the same results! :-)

My plans for the day? I already had a great Jazzercise workout this morning, and I’m going to a downtown wine walk this afternoon!

Yes, any preparation I can do the night before will save me from screwing up on my smoothie in the morning and adding 2 times the protein powder, or forgetting the fruit! I’ve never heard of a wine walk, but anything involving wine and I’m in! Have a great time, Robyn!

Love my Dharma straw too!

I make almost the exact same smoothie, but use almonds instead of the chia. Great idea to soak it overnight with the oats – never thought to do that part. Doh.

Lindsey@lindselicious

YAY!! I have all the ingredients to make that tomorrow in the AM! Love that the straws come with a cleaner thing- i always get paranoid that I might not be cleaning my starbucks reusable straw well enough.

Firefly

SO yummy :)

Julie

I have actually never heard of glass straws before… they sound like something I need to get! My two-year old has smashed or chewed through all of his plastic and silicone straws, but slurping a smoothie (or applesauce or pudding) through a straw gives really good oral feedback. That smoothie recipe sounds great too!

Apple sauce out of a straw… how brilliant! I’ll have to give that a try. Thanks Julie!

RavieNomNoms

The color of that is just so awesome! I am loving it and the smoothie sounds fantastic and just so yummy…and healthy too!

Maja

I love smoothies and I was just thinking the other day how I really need to get some durable, good straws for them !

These straws are SO durable. I’m really impressed. I was a bit hesitant to drink from a glass straw [thoughts like what if I bite down or I'm drinking while walking] but they’re quite impressive!

Clarkie @ Beloved Green

I love smoothies in the morning, and yeah, I agree with everyone else. They are way better with a glass straw :-)

amber @ omnomivore

threw everything together. cannot wait to try this in the morning :-)

Erin

I have these straws and love them ! I know Gail! They make them right in my town!! :)

Healthkickchick

Sounds delicious! I have a local nutrition place I hit up often for their blueberry muffin shake and Ive been looking for my own recipe so I dont have to spend the money every time I crave it (which is everyday!) I’m so glad I found this and cant wait to test it out! Just a tip the employee at the local nutrition place gave me– They put butter extract in it to give it that freshly buttered flavor! Thats probably my favorite thing about the shake so I thought I’d share! Thanks again for the recipe!! :)

Butter extract? I didn’t even know there was such a thing! Thanks for the tip :)

Chantell

I just discovered this smoothie this weekend whilst looking for things to have during my 21 day vegan cleanse. I would like to say this smoothie is AWESOME!