Sleepy Berry Fiberlicious Smoothie

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on March 3, 2011

It was so great to read all of your comments on Tuesdays post! It’s amazing how many of us struggle with digestive issues.

So, I thought what better way to kick off today’s post than with a couple more entries from my digestive healing plan:

• Take 2 digestive enzymes with every meal.
  • Fill up on fiber [apples and berries work nice].
  • Walk 30minutes a day at lunch time. I was SO surprised at what physical activity did to my digestion!
  • Digestion connection time. This may sound odd to some, but I spent a lot of time connecting to my digestion, massaging my stomach, and sending it positive vibes.
  • No more water with meals. This was a tricky one, but I’ve mastered it! Drinking water with meals dilutes the acids and enzymes needed to digest your food.
  • Soaking my nuts and seeds. Helped avoid the gut wrenching pain I would get an hour after eating raw nuts or seeds.

I could go on for days and days about this stuff but I will stop here… for now.

I’ve really enjoyed the recipe selection this week.

Everything is jam-packed with fiber, low in sugar, high in banana, and filled with whole foods goodness.

It only made sense that we throw a smoothie in the mix for good measure.

And can I say that this is one scrumptious breakfast? You can prepare it the night before, cutting precious moments off your morning routine. Like we did with this smoothie.

Sleepy Berry Fiberlicious Smoothie

Gluten free – optional Dairy free and Vegan

With over 8g of fiber and 15g of protein, this thick and delicious smoothie will give you just the kick you need to jump start your morning. Allow the ingredients to soak overnight for a pre-made quick and easy breakfast. Throw in the blender, and go!

• 1 cup juice* – I used Happy Planet pomegranate blueberry bash
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp unsalted pistachios, shelled
  • 1/4 cup yogurt* – I used Liberte organic plain yogurt
  • 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries

* Almond milk could replace the juice to lower sugars

* This smoothie can be made vegan and dairy free by using a non-dairy yogurt

To be made the night before you plan on eating it, or at least 4 hours in advance so the chia seeds can soak up the liquid.

1. Combine all ingredients but mixed berries in a glass container [I used a 500mL mason jar]. Seal with lid, shake to combine and place in the fridge overnight.
  2. In the morning, pour the contents of the container into your blender, add berries, and pulse until smooth.
  3. Enjoy!

Makes 1 serving, 2 cups.

In other news, Gail over at Glass Dharma sent me the most amazing package of beautiful glass straws!

I cannot wait to try them out this weekend and let you know what I think + share another smoothie recipe with you.

What smoothie recipe should we try out next, any suggestions?

Clarkie @ Beloved Green

I love smoothies in any form or fashion, especially ones that look pretty like this one. So gorgeous!

Tara @The Game of life

This smoothie looks great! I love putting handfuls of spinach in my smoothies. I absolutely hate spinach alone, but when I put it in a smoothie I can’t even taste it! I also put almonds in my smoothies… it gives the smoothie alittle crunch! :)

Generally I put almond butter in my smoothie, but I don’t think I’ve ever tried almonds! Thanks for the great suggestion, Tara!

meghan

I am so happy to read your digestive plan tidbits! I too struggle with digestion…ugh! But, I’m working on it so keep the tidbits coming! i’m going to try and get up earlier so I can get that water and lemon down and get those smoothies or protein shakes ready for the drinking. i’m already on the waiting to eat thing…and this seems to be working. As well i’ve been taking digestive enzymes for a few months now and they seem to help too! Do you have a specific brand or kind of digestive enzyme you recommend? Also, trying not to eat late which seems to help alot! Anyway, done with my rant. thanks for the recipes!!!! love your site!
meghan

It’s great to hear you’re on the road to digestive recovery! It’s a long one, but totally and completely worth it! For enzymes, I took a full spectrum enzyme, look for one that will help you digest fiber. The brand I used was from Prarie Naturals, called Enzyme Force with Fibrazyme. Good luck Meghan I can’t wait to hear how things work out for you! I’m happy you like my blog, chat soon :)

Great idea to mix the night before to have it ready-to-blend in the morning. I am a big smoothie fan and am ALWAYS late to work… can’t believe I never thought of this!

kate@ahealthypassion

thanks for the tips I cant wait to try some of these out and see what works!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

Thanks for the tips! I also do a lot of stomach massaging as well!

sonia

This seems to be a fingerlicious smoothie ! I wud certainly luv to try it, so saving this splecial recipe of yours for sure. Thanks for stopping by my space, I just checked out your couple of recipes, they are all rocking. I will keep coming back to seek more from you !

Tes

Wow I want some smoothie now. This sounds so fresh and yummy! I love the pictures… they are so stunning :)

Thanks, Tes!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

I love that you added unsalted pistachios to your smoothie–sounds so good!

Added fiber and protein! I’m not a fan of the chunky type smoothies, so soaking it overnight makes all the ingredients super smooth.

Toffee Bits and Chocolate Chips

Looks super refreshing and delicious! I love your blog and have given you the Stylish Blogger Award! Here’s the deets: http://bit.ly/fdFGmc Congrats!!

Thank you for the award and your kind words :) Those Nutella cookies look delicious!

Claire

I love your title :) Sleepy berry. Makes me sleepy!

leslie

I love chia seeds in my smoothies. My favorite lately has been green smoothies. I also just got a glass straw from hipmountainmama.com and I love it!

Sara

I’m interested in this not drinking water with your meals. How long should you wait without drinking water before and after you eat?

I’ve found that drinking no less than 30 minutes before a meal and 1 hour after seems to be the sweet spot. It can get tricky if you’re a snacker, so I try to drink at least a liter of water while I’m getting ready in the morning to try to get most of it out of the way. Good luck, Sara!

Firefly

That looks so good. I love making smoothies they are always so good and refreshing :)

Our Eyes Eat First

just love smoothies! I also agree that walking after a meal does wonders to keep your digestion moving. thanks for sharing

The Farmers Wife

That looks so refreshing and delicious! I just love smoothies…

The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time

I don’t have any digestive issues, but I swear I could pretend if it means I get to have this! It looks and sounds fantastic.

Don’t pretend, just eat it anyways! So delicious :)

No name

Came here from food gawker. I don’t have the same digestive issues you do, but I suffered with er, a very windy problem. I started taking digestive enzymes and the problem cleared itself up that day.

Now I just have to work on not having water with meals too. :( That’s so hard.

Alyssa Weldon

I take digestive enzymes, eat apples and berries, and walk A LOT living in NYC. BUT I drink TONS of water with my meals thinking it’s helping me digest. For the past two days after reading this I have not drank any water during meals, only in between meals – and I feel great! Thanks so much for the tip!

Jennileerose

Do you have to use fresh berries or could frozen ones be substituted? I often times have trouble with fresh produce going bad in my house. :(

You can use fresh or frozen, it’ll still be tasty!

Faith

I am having trouble finding chia seeds in my area. All I have been able to find is flax. So many of your yummy recipes have chia. Help?

Hey Faith! If you can order it online, do it up! If that’s not an option for you, many recipes that use chia can be replaced with flax… including this recipe!

liz

You should clarify the part about drinking water with your meals!!

What you should be doing is drinking enough water THOROUGH OUT the day! And I always drink my warm water with a squeeze of lemon juice, ginger, and/or apple cider vinegar which actually helps wake up the digestive system in preparation for eating.

Not drinking enough water, especially if you’re putting more fiber in your body, is WAY WAY WAY worse than drinking water while eating.