Oil-free Blueberry Streusel Scones

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on March 9, 2011

Lately I’ve been playing with rice, chickpea, sorghum, and buckwheat flours, something I would have never had the courage to do until a couple of weeks ago.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned since beginning HP it’s that you just need to dig in and test ingredients until you get it right!

Each flour is so unique in consistency, flavor, baking time, and cooperativeness [yes, I'm speaking to you rice flour. You are the bane of my existence].

All of these experiments were fun [and somewhat expensive - so many treats were thrown out!], but I was happy to open a fresh bag of almond flour on the weekend and dig in.

It felt like it’d been forever since I’d baked with my favorite flour, minus the granola we enjoyed yesterday.

These scones turned out perfectly! They’re not too big, not too small or too sweet, they’re juuuust right.

Oil-free Blueberry Streusel Scones

Vegan [optional], Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free

These scones are topped with crunchy cinnamon almonds and overloaded with natural blueberry flavor. They make for a perfect sized treat with a warm cup of tea.

Scones

• 2 cups almond flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground stevia leaf
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1 egg [to make vegan use 1 flax egg - 1 tbsp freshly ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp water]
  • 2 tbsp almond milk

Streusel topping

• 1 tbsp egg white [to make vegan use 1 tbsp apple sauce]
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • pinch stevia

1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
  2. Prepare streusel topping by combining all ingredients in a small bowl.
  3. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder, stevia, and salt. Whisk to combine.
  4. Add blueberries and coat with flour mixture. Set aside.
  5. Combine almond milk and egg in a small bowl. Add wet mixture  to flour mixture and stir until fully incorporated. You should be able to knead the dough with your hands with no problems.
  6. Shape dough into 12 small scones, 1/2 inch in thickness and place on prepared cookie sheet.
  7. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden.
  8. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before digging in!

Nutrition stats [1 scone]: calories 122; fat 10g; saturated fat 1g; carbohydrates 6g; dietary fiber 3g; sugars 2g; protein 5g

Makes 12 scones.

What’s your favorite flour to work with and what’s your favorite recipe to put it in?

Susie

Hey Leanne, can this be made with a different sweetner? I don’t like the Stevia after taste :(

Hi Susie, I hate stevia too. The aftertaste is gross. BUT these scones don’t have any. I brought some to work today, if you want to swing by and grab one! But, if you’re really against stevia, try replacing the almond milk with agave or honey and use baking soda instead of baking powder. That should do the trick!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies)

OMG I LOVE SCONES!! and the stats are so impressive!! i love spelt flour- i find it just gives such a dense texture!

loftyappetite

Oh I love a good scone, especially with quality ingredients, I will have to try it! Your photographs are making me hungry! I just got a DSLR and am busy trying to learn how to use it, I cannot wait for my photos to be as delicious as yours!

My photos make me hungry too! haha I’m glad I packed a couple scones with me today. Good luck with experimenting with photography, it’s so fun!

These look absolutely amazing!!! I can’t wait to make some….first I have to make some almond flour ;)

I love garbanzo bean flour for some weird reason…..I like that it is a bean (not a grain), and high in protein. It can taste completely disgusting in the batter, but it turns out wonderfully in food! I really like putting it in my chicken pot pie, socca, and I’ll even throw some in pancakes sometimes ;)

I’m with you Alex, I was completely surprised by chickpea flour! I haven’t tried it in pancakes though, I’ll have to give it a try.

brandi

those look great! I love a good streusel topping.

Almond flour sounds delish. I’ve never used it, but I do love rice flour. It’s so light! I’ll also use a lot of spelt, but typically only sub it for half of the flour called for.

I love how you did the streusel with an egg white or almond binder rather than a syrup! That will definitely come in hand in the future. :)

I’m amazed you like rice flour! I always find it gets so gritty and hard! I guess I’ll have to sift through your recipes to get an understanding on how to master rice flour. There has to be a secret!

I should have specified white rice flour. It makes great pancakes! I think the chickpea flour gets overwhelming in the “socca”-like cakes, so I make them with 1/2 rice flour and 1/2 chickpea.

Great to know, white rice flour. I totally have some! I’ll give it a try this weekend. Thanks Laura!

Stacy @ LoveDiscoveryGratitude

Nice! Gotta love scones! :-D

Elise

This makes me want to buy almond flour! I’ll try them and put the result on my blog. I’ve been trying different flours too for baking. I think my worst experiment was using chickpea flour for muffins, it was a disaster! I like quinoa flour, oat flour, soy flour. To take less risk when baking cakes I use a mix of these different flours in combination with classic wholewheat flour. I’d like to find a recipe that use soy flour because of its great protein content (40% of the product), any suggestions Leanne?

Evelyn

Hi: You should have called the scones, Goldilock Scones, – not to big, not to small , not to sweet!!
What do you think?

You’re totally right Evelyn, I should have. Next time I make a cute little scone I’ll be sure to name them that… hmm… what flavor would you make them? Maybe cinnamon + raisin like porridge?

Evelyn

ha ha ha , yes that would be good. The Three Bears would like them!!!

Jess@HealthyExposures

I’m so excited I finally have almond flour – thanks to you, I now know just what I want to make!
I’ve seen so many recipes lately calling for sorghum flour, but I’ve never used it. I am really interested in gluten-free flours though, so I think as I run out of some of my (lengthy collection…) of flours (with gluten) I’ll be replacing them with some gluten-free options to try :) What are your favorites? (well, besides almond flour – I caught that part :P )

You will LOVE almond flour. I have a bunch of recipes on here that you could try. I know how much you love waffles, so this one may be a good fit: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2010/12/cinnamon-waffles-with-cream-cheese-frosting/ SO good.
Chickpea flour comes in as a close second to almond flour, then sorghum, then rice. I haven’t gotten the hang of cooking with rice yet. I’ve tried a bunch of buckwheat flours, but I don’t like the taste much…

Tara @The Game of life

Your pictures always make me so hungry!! These look great… thanks for sharing! :)

Lauren @ WWoB

Those flours are SO hard to work with – I know! Im finally sort of getting the hang of coconut flour. Rice flour is ridiculously complicated, it definitely seems to need another flour with it.

I bookmarked this recipe! I low that is is high fiber/fat/protein and lower carb!! Gonna make it soon!

Do you have any favorite coconut flour recipes? Every time I use coconut flour it’s a huge disappointment. I’ve been trying to make coconut flour recipes vegan, which could be my problem, just because the flour needs so many eggs!

Lauren @ WWoB

yes I have a few on my blog! muffins… pancakes… and about to make some cookies!

I’ll have to sift through to see how you work with coconut flour. Thanks Lauren!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

I love coming to your posts because I know every single time I will be able to eat the delicious treats you make. I agree about the rice flour. It makes me want to pull my hair out.

Thank you Chelsey, I’m glad you keep coming back!
I’m happy I’m not the only one that gets frustrated over rice flour. BAH!

Sprinkled with Flour

I’m a sucker for scones, and these blueberry scones sound so delicious! I really love the streusel topping too, a great touch:)

Steph@stephsbitebybite

These look devine! Perfect breakfast treat!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

Love your foodie pictures! Always making me drool :) They look so light and airy

Charissa

What awesome pictures…I’m drooling.

Tracy @ Commit to Fit

I started experimenting with oat flour and really like the results. I would like to get creative and try different kinds of flour too!

Vicky

Oh… it looks like another trip to the bulk food store is in order this weekend :) Not sure if they’ll have Stevia leaves but maybe I’ll substitute for honey since I’d have to buy a container of almond milk (which I can’t seem to like). Or is it possible to substitute 1:1 for Splenda?

You can use stevia, or ground stevia leaves. You can substitute with honey, no problem. Just replace the almond milk with honey and use baking soda instead of baking powder. Should do the trick! You can also substitute 1:1 with Splenda :)

Vicky

Dumb question time … what’s the difference between baking powder and baking soda? I’m really new to baking. I have both but I’m just curious. Would I make the switch to baking soda if I’m substitute in Splenda? Thanks for the help Leanne!

Hi Vicky – that’s not a dumb question at all! I wondered the same thing a couple of months ago :) Baking powder acts like yeast, making things rise. It’s used in things like cakes and biscuits. Baking soda alone in a recipe needs a liquid acid like buttermilk or yogurt to produce a chemical reaction. If you bake with acids like chocolate, yogurt, honey, or buttermilk you can get away with just using baking soda. If just baking soda is used though, you have to bake the goodies right away, no sitting out on the counter for a couple of minutes! So, if you were substituting for splenda I would still use a baking powder. If say you were substituting the stevia for honey, then you could use baking soda.
I hope that helps! Good luck with your baking :)

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

I’ve been wanting to try almond flour–I think this may be a good place to start-yum! I’m not the best baker though, so I love living vicariously through your delicious baked goods! If I lived by you, I would be randomly showing up at your doorstep to help you enjoy these baked goods! haha :)

I’d be totally down with that! I’ve never had a baking buddy!

RavieNomNoms

Oh they look fabulous! I love anything with blueberry!

eizel

Have award you the Stylish Blogger Award because you are a rocking blogger :)

Faith @ lovelyascharged

That looks amazing! The best part is that I have all those ingredients in my house right now! Experimental baking is really pretty easy, it’s just about hitting the right combo! For me, my favorite flour would have to be a tie between oat or spelt – both so good and so nutritious!

Kankana

WOW .. oil free ! I was like WHAT ??!! .. these looks soo tasty and yummy…

sasha

These look great. I love blueberries. Yes trying new flours is a lot of work. Sometimes I half the recipes just in case I have a lot of ones that don’t work. I haven’t tried almond or coconut flour yet. You are making me hungry with these. Yum.

Firefly

So yummy looking and healthy! Love your recipes :)

Iris

This recipe looks awesome! I can’t do almonds, but I wonder if it would work with quinoa flour? Only one way to find out, I guess… ;)

That’s the attitude, Iris! I’m sure it would work with quinoa flour. I’d try to add maybe a tbsp of oil just to soften up the flour a bit [my experience with quinoa flour is that it's very dense]. Good luck! I’d love to know how it goes when you try it.

Emily @ Life On Food

I love scones and I love blueberries. I cannot wait for June when there will be plenty of fresh ones to eat up. I am trying to incorporate more and more different grains and flours into my diet. I am going to have to try this recipe and Almond flour!

kate@ahealthypassion

definitely making these, I made scones a few weeks ago with stevia and they turned out great so i’m a stevia lover now.

I am too! I don’t generally like stevia because of the aftertaste, but these scones have none of that. Let me know how you like them, Kate!

Lindsay

I made these last week but used raw cane sugar instead of stevia (1 tablespoon in the scone base, 1 teaspoon in the streusel topping). They turned out great! Not too sweet, just right. I just bought stevia so I am making another batch tonight using the recipe, we will see which one I like better. Thanks, Leanne!