Cranberry Pear Porridge Bites

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on March 6, 2011

Kevin and I had planned a Saturday evening movie night.

We started off with The March of the Penguins. I think I managed to watch 20 minutes of the documentary and slept for the rest. I was able to see enough to know that I want a baby penguin for my birthday this year.

Then we moved on to Freakonomics. I can tell you that the first 15 minutes of the movie is very interesting, but the chapter on sumo wrestling can make you quite sleepy. Take that as a warning.

Then we moved to a movie I saw about 3 seconds of in between sipping my water and cuddling up closer to Kevin.

I think it’s safe to say that my training program royally kicked my butt this past week.

But Sunday means a well deserved rest day, and lots of baking, so [I'm hoping] by Monday I’ll be ready to bring it again.

Weekends are too short.

Especially this one.

Cranberry Pear Porridge Bites

Gluten free, Dairy free

These moist breakfast bars are perfect for a breakfast on the go paired with your morning smoothie, or fresh fruit. At each bar running at just under 100 calories and less than 5 grams of sugar, you’ll know you’re fueling your body with just enough nutrients to kick start your day.

• 1 cup millet
  • 1 cup apple juice
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 6 tbsp egg whites
  • 2 tbsp raw honey
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp 1/4 cup pureed bosc pear
  • 1/4 cup ground chia
  • 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup dried apple, chopped
  • 1/4 cup bosc pear, diced small
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp Himalayan rock salt

1. Place millet, apple juice, and water in a medium sized saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and allow to cook for 20-25 minutes. Be sure not to lift the lid while cooking. Only check up on millet at the 20-25minute mark. It should be cooked through but still a bit chewy. All the liquid should be evaporated. It should not be the consistency of oatmeal. If it is, it’s been cooked too long. Remove from heat and allow to cool in a large bowl.
  2. Preheat oven to 350F and line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper for easy lifting.
  3. Meanwhile, combine all remaining ingredients, adding 2.5 cups of the cooked millet to the bowl. Stir until combined.
  4. Press mixture firmly into prepared pan, and place in the oven for 45-55 minutes [mine took 50 minutes], or until the corners begin to brown.
  5. Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Slide out of the pan and continue to cool for another 40 minutes [it's so important that you let it cool!] before cutting with a sharp knife.

Makes 24 squares

If you were stranded on an island for the next 10 years, what 5 items would you bring with you?

I would bring: a journal, mechanical pencil [with extra lead, does that count?], camera, blanket, package of chia seeds.

Kevin would bring: an axe to split coconut, solar powered lantern, cast iron pot, shovel to dig holes, 2 flint stones [they come as a pair, right?].

hmm… I wonder which of us is the practical one?

Michelle | gold-hearted girl

I clicked over here from OSG, and I’m so glad I did! I’m loving all your recipes so far!

Hester aka The Chef Doc

These look awesome :-) I can just imagine popping one in before working out for energy and then maybe one (or two) as a reward afterwards! I didn’t realize Freakonomics was turned into a movie. I don’t remember anything about sumo wrestling. I hope you have a lovely Sunday!

Firefly

I saw this on your Facebook page and love how yummy it is.

something_good

Mmm, they look crunchy; I might add some ice cream on top :).

I loved March of the Penguins but not so much as Microcosmos (a documentary about insects – same crew, same director).

kate@ahealthypassion

these look awesome I have never tried a porridge bite but it sounds delicious!

Stacy @ LoveDiscoveryGratitude

Those look amazing! I just started reading your blog and I LOVE IT! I plan on going to the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and become a Holistic Health Coach! (In like, a year- ha, ha). Have you heard anything about that school?

Thanks Stacy! I’m glad you found me and that you like my recipes :) I haven’t heard of the Institute for Integrative Nutrition but I just checked out their website. If you get to learn from Deepak Chopra, David Wolfe, and Dr. Andrew Weil, I’d say that’s one amazing school! Sounds like a really great program. The more holistic practitioners we have out there the better!

Stacy @ LoveDiscoveryGratitude

Awesome! Thanks! I’m very excited for the day I can start! :)

Kate @ Diethood.com

I can’t watch more than 15 minutes of a movie/documentary… I fall asleep. :))
These look delicious! I love the cranberry/pear combo.

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

Those bars look amazing, I’ve never used a pear/cranberry combo but just by the pics it looks delicious!! :D

Melissa@EyesBigger

sounding pretty tasty! cranberries and pear are a great combo

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

I am always falling asleep during movies. It’s kind of my “thing”.

Tracy @ Commit to Fit

Delicious and good for you. Sold! Thanks for sharing :)

Vicky

These look like they’ll be great as a pre-workout snack and I love that there’s no additional sugar! Just one question – where would I find millet in the grocery store? Is it something I could get from a bulk/health food store? Or is it substitutable for something else?

I buy my millet at the grocery store, Superstore to be exact. They have it in the natural foods isle. I’ve been able to find it at a couple of grocery stores in the bulk section. You’re best off finding it at a health food store. I’m not sure if quinoa would work for this recipe, but you could give it a try! I’m planning on making a variation of these bars with quinoa in the next week, so if you don’t take the plunge before then, check back!

Vicky

I’m in Toronto so we’ve got lots of Loblaws and Superstores around. I recently rediscovered the Bulk Barn too since I started baking. I’m not planning on making them until next Saturday.

I’m currently on a no added/low sugar diet so your recipes are fantastic! I can still have something dessert like but still stick to my diet. Good luck with your marathon! I ran my first in January and it was awesome!

We’re getting a Bulk Barn in Calgary and I couldn’t be more excited! I’ve only ever heard of the amazingness that is Bulk Barn. I cannot wait to visit, and it’s right down the street from my office! Dangerous.
How long did you train for your marathon? I’m finding the first couple of weeks have totally kicked my butt! Does it get any easier? Haha or is that a silly question?

Vicky

The Bulk Barn is awesome but contains lots and lots of candy! It can be very tempting!

My training program was 16 weeks – I only made it half way through before I injured my knee. I decided to make sure I was fully recovered and unijured instead of pushing ahead with the mileage. Prior to that, I had done several half marathons plus two 30K races so I wasn’t too worried. The first time you do say a 13 mile training run, it IS hard. But the next time you attempt that distance, it does get easier :) Not every run will be stellar but I’d always remind myself that it was about getting in the miles and not about how long it took. If you can run the race with a friend or a pace group, you won’t even notice the distance.

Great idea with the pear! I love them but never seem to get them.

10 YEARS?! I would need some sort of solar powered plug-in, iPhone, camera, Kindle, and flip flops. :)

Flip flops… brilliant!

Peggy

I can’t ever hardly stay awake any more on the weekends! The week is just so exhausting and you’re definitely right… the weekend is not long enough at all!

These cranberry pear bites look awesome though! I could definitely use one for breakfast this morning!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods

These are so creative! Love the “porridge” aspect. I bet Goldilocks would love these!

Kristi Rimkus

Love this recipe. I love fruit bars and these look amazing and only 100 calories!

Jess@HealthyExposures

These look incredible! I love the idea of pureeing a pear, rather than just using plain old applesauce. I mean, it’s nice and all – but pears > applesauce :P
And man..stranded island ques. is a hard one. I think I’d smuggle my pony there with me, though! haha

First thing’s first.. you have a pony? How lucky are you?! Nice. If I had a pony I would smuggle mine with me too, although I can’t imagine a pony would be easy to smuggle.
I agree with you on pears > applesauce. It was a nice change, that’s for sure.

Sandra

Congrats on top 9 today!!! Looks fantastic!!

Becky

congrats on the Top 9 today!

Beth

These look great! I was wondering how you store them and how long they keep. I tend to make foods in bulk batches on weekends.

After I let the bars cool overnight, I threw them in the freezer. I’ve taken out 1 a day to pack for my lunch and they’ve been totally fine. I’d say they’d last in the freezer for up to a month, or in the fridge for 3 days.

Lin Ann

Oh, wow! I love this recipe. Great snack for lunches, hikes, when ever and where ever. Congrats on Top 9!!!

scratch-made wife

Congrats on the top 9! I’m so happy for you – and me ’cause it led me to these awesome-looking bars and your fabulous website. If I can find all of the ingredients, I’ll let you know how they turn out. :)

Thank you :) I find all of my ingredients in either the natural foods isle at superstore or at our local health food store. Good luck and thanks again for your kind words

Jill Shepherd

Love the idea of sending these to school with my little ones for snack time.

alyce

These sound really yummy and healthy.

Kim - Liv Life

Leanne, I LOVE this recipe!! I actually had millet in my hand the other day but didn’t know what to do with it. I’m going back to get it. This would be such a good snack for my daughter during her long dance rehearsals… Thanks!
Congrats on the Top 9, this one so belongs there!

Thank you Kim! I’m sure your daughter will love them. I was a dancer growing up and looking back I can’t believe the amount of unhealthy snacks all of the kids ate. I remember the rehearsals being SO long, a snack like this would be perfect for it!

Sonia

How could you fall asleep on The march of the penguins? It’s such an interesting documentary! And the penguins are just soooo cute! I say you should give it another try! ;)

Love the bars,they look absolutely delicious. And I love the fact that they are made with millet, too! Millet is such an interesting grain but I just never know where or how to use it. Now I have at least one idea! I will definitely have to give them a try.

Oh, and huge congrats on your top 9!!!

It was a very cute and interesting movie, I was just THAT tired. You’re right though, I should give it another try this weekend.
Have you ever cooked millet with amaranth? It’s very very good. I just mix 1/2 cup millet to 3 tbsp amaranth in 1 1/4 cup water. Boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes. Then I add 1/2 cup almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins and cook for another 5 minutes. It’s the best dang warm cereal I’ve ever had!
Thanks for stopping by, Sonia :)

Sonia

YUM! That sounds delicious! I happen to love warm cereal and this really inspires me. I just HAVE to try it… Expect to see it on my blog sometime soon!

I’m glad you like this recipe, Sonia! I can’t wait to see you make it and get your feedback.

Sonia

Hey Leanne,
I just realized I completely forgot to give you some feedback after trying your warm millet and amaranth cereal. I didn’t have your recipe handy so I don’t think I made them exactly how I was supposed to, but it was incredibly good. I can’t thank you enough for the inspiration! Re-reading you just now, I also realize that I totally forgot to add cinnamon and nutmeg! Darn. I usually add cinnamon to just about anything. How could I forget? Now I’m going to have to make them again soon! Here’s my entry, if you want to see the result…http://foodobsessed.ca/2011/03/21/millet-warm-cereal/.

Sonia

Hey Leanne,
I just realized I completely forgot to give you some feedback after trying your warm millet and amaranth cereal. I didn’t have your recipe handy so I don’t think I made them exactly how I was supposed to, but it was incredibly good. I can’t thank you enough for the inspiration! Re-reading you just now, I also realize that I totally forgot to add cinnamon and nutmeg! Darn. I usually add cinnamon to just about anything. How could I forget? Now I’m going to have to make them again soon! Here’s my entry, if you want to see the result: (oops, looks like I can’t insert a link, click my name, it should take you there!)

Sophie

These tasty bars rock!! I have made them yesterday & they are so tasty & fab!

I so much love millet & I love to use millet flour a lot in my gf baking!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,..!

I’m SO glad you liked them! I haven’t used millet flour in a long long time. I’ll have to give it a try!

Vicky

Hi Leanne! I made these last night and they were super yummy and left a wonderful smell in the house! Forget apple pie – this is so much better! For some reason, my bars didn’t hold together. Not sure if maybe I didn’t bake them for long enough (I took mine out after the top browned at 47 minutes) or maybe I cooked the millet too long and there wasn’t enough water left behind? How should the millet look after cooking – mine was slightly “clumpy” like mashed potatoes instead of like an oatmeal if that makes sense.

Hi Vicky, this concerns me! My bars came out perfectly firm. When the millet was done it was clumpy and the grains were still slightly uncooked. If you were to bite into one it would be the consistency of a jube jube not a gummy bear, chewy like. I’m so sorry they didn’t turn out, there are so many variations of things that can go wrong while baking. Did you leave them to cool for 1 hour before cutting? You could try throwing them in a freezer to harden up. I find once something has been frozen it seems to hold it’s shape a bit better. Either way though, you could enjoy them out of a bowl! I’m so sorry they didn’t turn out for you. I’ll have to try the recipe again in the near future to give a more detailed process.

Vicky

I didn’t taste the millet after cooking it. I probably should have :) I think a more accurate description of the consistency was it was drier like cooked rice than it was oatmeal – maybe like clumpy couscous? I didn’t cool it for an hour but did stick it outside (it was about 3C) for 30 minutes so it was still warm but not hot. I’m a novice when it comes to baking so I have no doubt it was something I did. I suspect I needed to pack them down more before putting them into the oven. I still love the flavours so I’m still eating them. I’m going to test it out again next weekend!

Hey Vicky, I just made the bars again to make sure everything was a-ok. They worked out perfect again, although I did end up adding another 1 tbsp of pear puree to the mix. You really have to pack the mixture into the pan. Also, try allowing the bars to cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then sliding them out of the pan (easy to do when they’re surrounding in parchment) and then allow to cool for another 40 minutes. I’ve update the post with these instructions. Now I’m off to go eat some bars! Hope you’re having a good night :)

Robyn

Hey Leanne! Just wanted to let you know that I made these bars the other day. I’ve been following your blog for awhile but this is the first recipe I made from it. They are really tasty, and your recipe was very clear and easy to follow! I think I may have slightly overcooked the millet but the bars still turned out fabulous and I like that I can just grab a couple out of the fridge on my way out the door.

Thanks!

I’m so glad you liked the bars and stopped by to share it!

model cincin terbaru

Today, I went to the beach front with my children.
I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed.
There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to
go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell someone!

Good to know about bulk barn. I’ll be sure to load up on dried fruit and granola before I go [always seems to curb my sugar cravings].
I was in the same place. Better to heal than to keep pushing and hurt yourself even more. A pace group is a really great idea. I live in a super active community, there are runners everywhere, even in the dead of winter. I’ll see if I can find something. Great advice Vicky, thank you!