Carrot Raisin Nut Muffins

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on March 19, 2011

My day off yesterday was awesome!

Sometimes we all just need a day to lay low and recharge.

I didn’t get to take pictures of the cow’s but the farmer said they’d be back out tomorrow so I’ll try again then [they were too far away from the fence!].

One of the activities I was dying to do yesterday was to make a batch of carrot muffins.

I have very fond memories of waking up early on Sundays to bake carrot muffins with my Mom as a kid.

I was in the kitchen helping my Mom from the time I could push a chair up to the counter [I'm sure she helped a bit]. She would measure out the ingredients, I would mix it all together, she would place the muffins in the oven, and I would stand at the oven door and watch through the window.

Baking was so magical.

I guess you could say my love for food started at a very early age and I’m so thankful that it did. The time I spent in the kitchen with my Mom taught me about the importance of homemade meals, family gatherings, love and respect for food, and how to create a warm and loving kitchen.

Unfortunately my Mom wasn’t at my side helping me out yesterday; if she had been I’m sure this recipe wouldn’t have taken me 3 attempts to get it right, but baking these muffins was soothing, rewarding, and peaceful. Just what the doctor ordered.

[print_this]

Carrot Raisin Nut Muffins

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free

Dense and delicious, these carrot and raisin filled muffins make a perfect breakfast on the go or post workout snack that will keep you full for hours.

Dry

• 1 flax egg [1 tbsp freshly ground flax + 3 tbsp water]
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract

Add-ins

• 1 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrots
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped + more for topping

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12 count muffin pan with liners or coconut oil.
  2. In a small bowl combine flax and water and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients.
  4. In a blender mix coconut oil, water, dates, and vanilla. Add flax mixture and pulse quickly.
  5. Combine wet with dry. Fold in add-ins until combined.
  6. Spoon dough into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes [mine took 32 minutes] or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  7. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing and placing on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins.

Nutrition stats [1 muffin]: calories 310; fat 16g; carbohydrates 39g; dietary fiber 6g; sugars 15g; protein 8g

[/print_this]

When I’m asked how my clients are to persuade their kids to eat the new foods they’re bringing into the household, my answer is always the same – bring the kids into the kitchen to cook with you!

The easiest way to get kids [and adults] excited about food is to teach them how to make it!

PS: Smoothies and no bake goodies are a great place to start. They’re fast, forgiving, and downright delicious every time.

Did you cook with your parents when you were a kid?

If you have children now, do you cook with them?

You got the rice flour to work! Hooray! I knew I should have waited to make breakfast until you posted. I would love one of these right about now. LOL!

There are pics of me at 3 or 4 sitting next to my grandmother rolling out pie crusts, and I remember many an afternoon grating piles carrots for my mom’s (fantastically delicious) carrot cake. I was doomed to love sweets from a young age. :)

Gosh… it took me forever but the pressure was off yesterday, so I didn’t care. Any idea what I should do with 24 goopy muffins? I don’t have the heart to throw them out!
It’s so nice that you spent time in the kitchen with your grandmother! I did too… she was the best baker ever. Gosh I miss her butter tarts. They were to die for! Did you grandmother have any specialties?

Tara @The Game of life

I cook with my mom all the time! Our favorite thing to make together was her famous banana bread!! It is to die for, and I have never had any banana bread like it! I always mashed the bananas and mixed everything together ;)

That sounds delicious. Banana bread was one of my favorites too. Have you made the recipe recently?

Lauren @ WWoB

These sound super tasty! I have never sweetened muffins with dates – very interesting! I usually avoid dates because they are essentially pure sugar, but since this is your source of sweetness for the muffins- Im down!

I love using dates in recipes because when combined with fiber they can balance your blood sugar fantastically! Like you said, a date on it’s own is high in sugar, but the combination is key. I hope you’re having a great Saturday, Lauren.

Parsley Sage

Mmmm…Carrot muffins! They looks – and i’m sure smell – fantastic :)

Jess@HealthyExposures

I’m glad you had a good day-off yesterday! They do wonders for the mind ;)
Carrot muffins are my absolute favorite, and these look wonderful, as always. I baked a lot with my mom growing up, too. Granted, I don’t think we baked very often, but I definitely wanted to help when she did :)

Ashley @ Taste for Healthy

Yum! How delicious do these look?! I love the ingredients… I’ve never used quinoa flakes or chickpea flour before. I am going to have to make a trip to the health foods store!

I am so glad I found your blog! I look forward to reading more. :)

Thanks for stopping by Ashley! I use quinoa flakes a lot as a replacement for oats. I hope you love them as much as I do!

Sasha@ Blyssful Health

Wow these look great. I can’t believe how much you are cooking up these days. Your clients and friends must love it. I bought some new flours and some nuts but haven’t gotten that far.

Thanks Sasha :) I can’t believe it either! My neighbors and friends are appreciative though! Buying new flours and nuts are the first step.. at least you found what you were looking for!

Lori

I do love carrot muffins! these look fabulous. You are somewhat of a genius with the baked goods my dear!

Thank you Lori! It’s quite the adventure every time I step foot in the kitchen haha

Ryan@Aloha Appetite

I have never done a sugar-free recipe but I think this recipe will break the mold!

Oh really? Sugar free is fantastic! I’m glad you’re going to give it a shot :)

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies)

i love cooking with my mom!! and i teach her a lot about vegan food!! love these muffins!!! carrots in muffins is my fav!

christine

The muffins do look great. I love it when I come across recipes for gluten-free baked goods. Low in sugar too. I can’t wait to try them.
I used to cook tons with my mom. She was a professional baker, and around the holidays we would be up to our ears in pastries, chocolates, cookies, pies… I miss those times.
Thanks for the great post :)

julie

These muffins looks beautiful and delicious! I’d love to try making them, but if I wanted to substitute whole wheat flour for the rice and chickpea flour, would it be an even 1 cup?
I’m excited to try the dates as a sweetener too! Oh, and I used to cook with my great aunt, who was like a grandma to me. She was a beautiful Italian woman and gave me a passion for cooking and baking! I miss her, but she left me with some wonderful memories and recipes!
Thanks for sharing :)

I haven’t worked with whole wheat flour in a very very long time so I’m scared to tell you that my recipe would work for whole wheat flour. I was however able to find this recipe for you that’s somewhat similar to mine but uses whole wheat flour! http://www.anjasfood4thought.com/2009/09/iced-carrot-muffins.html
It’s great to hear your great aunt left you with such warm memories of baking!

Joy