I may or may not have gone overboard on Valentine’s Day recipes. It kinda just… happened.
I lost myself for 5 hours baking on Saturday. When I bake, I taste, I experiment, I taste some more… I made over 6 different things 1-2 times each. That’s a lot of taste testing in 5 hours. I totally missed dinner, snack time, everything. I woke up on Sunday craving vegetables like no other.
Over time I’ve learned to just listen to my body. If I am craving more vegetables than normal, I give myself a ton of vegetables, if I feel like I’m in dire need of some protein, I’ll increase my protein by 20-40 grams that day. I just do what my body tells me and it always works out perfectly!
And yesterday my body was saying VEG! BRING ON THE VEG!
So I did…
- Breakfast smoothie: soaked chia, pomegranate juice, spinach, hemp protein powder, vanilla yogurt
- Snack: sweet peas with roasted vegetable hummus and 2 runners repair cookies
- Snack: spinach salad, goats feta, olives, and tomatoes with balsamic vinaigrette
- Lunch: sweet potato mash, 2 hard boiled eggs, cucumber, red pepper, wrapped in chard leaves
- Snack: carrots wrapped in spinach leaves dipped in bruschetta
- Snack: creamy potato dill soup [stay tuned for the recipe tomorrow!] and home made veggie + flax dehydrated crackers
- Dinner: long grain brown rice, 1 bison elk burger, navy beans, tomatoes, parsley, coconut oil
- Snack: fresh apple, carrot, spinach juice
- Snack: cookie!
Oh-my-gosh it was glorious… and so are these cookies…
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon crushed rose petals – I ground mine up in my coffee grinder. Make sure to use edible petals to avoid pesticides. You can find them at many health food or gourmet shops.
- pinch ¼ teaspoon himalayan rock salt
- ½ cup soy free earth balance
- 5 tablespoon agave – honey can also be used, but the cookies wouldn’t be vegan
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips – I used Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Place slivered almonds on a parchment paper or silicon mat lined cookie sheet.
- Place on middle rack of oven for 9 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes. Once golden, remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine almond flour, baking soda, crushed rose petals, and salt. Once almond slivers have cooled, add those as well. Set aside.
- Combine earth balance, agave, and vanilla extract. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until combined.
- Place a 1.5 foot sheet of parchment paper on the counter and roll out dough to ¼ inch thick. Cover with parchment paper and place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- After hour has passed, preheat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking mat.
- Use cookie cutters to create cookies, placing them ½ inch away from each other.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes [mine were perfect at 8 minutes]. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before dipping in chocolate.
- Melt chocolate either in a double broiler, microwave, or place chocolate in a metal bowl and place in a larger bowl with boiling water.
- Dip each cookie in chocolate, place on parchment paper or silicon lined counter top.
View Nutritional Information (once on page scroll down)
What sorts of things does your body tell you it needs? Do you listen to these queues and change what you eat on a daily basis as a result?