Strawberry Cream Kasha

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on January 19, 2011

I’m in shock when the women from my spin class tell me that they don’t eat something before coming to the class.

After 5 minutes on a bike; if I haven’t eaten anything, I’m falling off of it.

Without breakfast I get light headed, sleepy, impatient, confused [deer in headlights look - one day I'll take a picture of myself with no breakfast and you'll know what I mean], and my stomach does a lot of talking. Without breakfast I’m absolutely useless. But it wasn’t always like this.

5 years ago, I’d start my day off with a tall glass of leftover Slurpee [I lived across the street from a 7-11 and subjected myself to far too many Slurpees]. When I got to work I went to the vending machine and got myself a cookie. That was my morning. 2 hours into my shift I was light headed, sleepy, impatient, confused, and my stomach was spinning. Huh…

At the time this felt normal to me. I thought people just got tired. I thought it was completely normal for my brain to feel like it was in constant fog. Boy was I wrong.

Breakfast was the best thing that I think I’ve ever done for ME. My day now begins with a smoothie [lately it's been Green Monsters with extra berries and hemp protein powder], then I head to the gym. When I get to work I always have 1/2 cup granola with 2 Tbsp of chia seeds soaked overnight in 1 cup of Almond Milk.

I no longer feel light headed, I have enough energy to push me through the day, I don’t live in a fog, and my tummy is always satisfied and happy.

The best time my tummy has had in awhile was yesterday morning when I made THIS breakfast!

Hold on to your pants everyone. This breakfast will change your life!

Strawberry Cream Kasha Breakfast Bowl

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free

A perfectly pink breakfast! Note: This breakfast can be made ‘manly’ by adding a bunch of non-pink toppings.

Kasha (roasted buckwheat)

• 1 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Kasha [roasted buckwheat kernels], alternatively you could use whole buckwheat, rice, or millet

Strawberry cream sauce

• 3/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup fruit juice sweetened strawberry jam, pureed strawberries would work too!
  • 2 tbsp ground chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla

1. Bring water and 1/2 cup of coconut milk to a boil in a medium size saucepan
  2. Once boiled, add kasha and cook for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally. If there is liquid leftover, strain before putting it back in the pot
  3. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine 3/4 cup coconut milk, strawberry jam, chia seeds, and vanilla
  4. Blend until pureed completely
  5. Combine strawberry cream sauce with cooked kasha
  6. Serve and enjoy!

The toppings we used: raspberries, pumpkin seeds, and bananas | shredded unsweetened coconut, almond butter, bananas, and cocao nibs

Makes 3-4 servings

What’s your favourite breakfast? Do you find that you skip breakfast often? Why?

Jess@atasteofconfidence

I used to skip breakfast, and it made my whole day foggy! Now I eat oatmeal almost everyday:)

Leanne

Good for you Jess! It’s so great to hear from people that have experienced benefits from eating breakfast! What do you put on your oatmeal?

Byn

I love having porridge made from steel cut oats and quinoa, but I susually only have time for a protein shake, since I teach fitness classes in the mornings… and I’m not a morning person:) This looks awesome. I can see I’m going to have some new food items on my grocery list!

Leanne

Either way, those are great breakfasts!

Adina

This looks wonderful! I always have trouble with healthy breakfast ideas but I think I’ll have to try this with a fruit that’s friendly for me!

Leanne

Thank you Adina! You could put any type of jam or fruit in this breakfast. I know you’re allergic to berries, so apricots, clementines, or lemons would work really well. Have fun!

Kim - Liv Life

I’m with you… breakfast is so important! I’m just like you at the gym if I don’t have breakfast, I like to lift, and don’t have any strength if I don’t eat. We try to do healthy grains for breakfast most morning, and this looks like a treat! Thanks for posting!

Kate @ Diethood.com

I can’t start my day without breakfast let alone go and exercise.
Thanks for sharing another yummy healthy dish!

Sandra

I eat breakfast rarely, coffee in the morning and early lunch-around 12:30
I will try this, look very tempting, delicious and healthy!!!

something_good

my nutritionist will give you a prize for this beautiful post on the importance of breakfast; he is really strict when it comes to start the day with a good and well-balanced meal. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper – it always worked for me.

Leanne

It’s nice to hear that fellow Nutritionist share my love of breakfast! Also, great that you have a Nutritionist!

Becky

I have always eaten breakfast thanks to my Mom. She would make oatmeal with pineapple, raisins or chocolate chips. I have to eat breakfast, and I usually eat oatmeal with lots of cinnamon ans walnuts or craisins. Your breakfast looks very good, and healthy.

Jackie (Phamfatale.com)

I didn’t know buckwheat could be prepared for sweets. I always make savory dishes. Thanks for the recipe!

Kori

What a great sounding breakfast! I’ve never heard of kasha, but being a hot cereal lover, I’ll totally have to try some! Thanks for sharing.

Sexy Vegan Mama/The Gonzo Mama

Oh, coconut milk with kasha sounds amazing! I skip breakfast too often, and by the time lunch rolls around, I’m working up a migraine due to low blood sugar. Bookmarked! :)

Panna L.

Hi Leanne!
You inspired my breakfast today <3! Here, in Poland, Kasha is probably much more popular, however we eat it mostly for dinner. I tried your sweet fruits-buckwheat combination and it was really delicious <3
Thank you!
If you wish to see my breakfast, you can do it here: http://posilek-mistrzow.blogspot.com/2011/06/sobota_25.html :)
Have a nice weekend and keep going with your healthy recipes :) I like your blog very much <3

Rochelle

Hi Leanne,
This is my first time to your blog and I love it. I’d love to make this cereal but am confused by the beginning of the recipe. It says to combine water and coconut and bring to a boil but the first coconut ingredient is coconut milk. Should it have read unsweetened flaked coconut?
Thanks.

Thanks for pointing that out, Rochelle. I’ve updated the recipe. It should be coconut milk – one portion for cooking the kasha, the other for the cream sauce. Thanks for stopping by and saying hello :)

Rochelle

Thanks Leanne, I’ll pick up Kasha and make it this week.

Danielle

I never skip breakfast! Unless I’m really pumped about something and I run on adrenaline for a while.
I usually get pretty hungry in the morning, I can’t understand how people can function without breakfast.
Kasha sounds fantastic!

Kalie g

Hey I am a new and excited reader of your blog! I would love to make this but I live in a teeny little town and can’t find kasha anywhere. Do you think wheat berries might work? I’ve been hearing they are good as a hot breakfast…

Hi Kalie – can you get your hands on some raw buckwheat groats? A lot of grocery stores are starting to sell it in the baking isle, or where you’d find the dried grains and pulses. I’m sure wheat berries would work. I’ve never cooked with them, so I’m not sure on the quantity of water to wheat berry, but I bet the end result would taste really good. Sorry I can’t help more.