Salmon was the first dish I’d made for Kevin (my boyfriend) and I on our first date. I’m not sure why I’d chosen salmon as our first meal together. I’d just recently moved from my vegan diet weeks before, so I’d never made salmon. But I thought “how hard can it be, right?” So naturally I thought it best to marinate it over night in a bowl of dill and lemon, throw it in the oven for 45 minutes at 375 and hope for the best. Looking back I probably should have checked out a recipe or two before jumping the gun on this one.
The salmon tasted funny and was really over cooked. I wasn’t much enjoying it and was totally mortified at the pile of overcooked protein I’d prepared for the man across the table from me. Shamefully trying not to make eye contact, I looked up briefly to catch a glimpse of Kevin’s plate. It was nearly empty. He was practically inhaling all of it! What a relief.
To this day, any time I mention that we’re having salmon for dinner he gets pretty darn excited about it. Although my cooking has gotten increasingly better over the years, there’s never any pressure in our home of making the perfectly cooked salmon.
Salmon, dill sauce & greens
A great light dinner to get your greens in for the day. The leftover sauce can be used as a salad dressing, vegetable dip or sandwich spread.
|1 Tbsp||dill, fresh|
|1 Tbsp||coconut oil|
|¼ cup||canola mayonnaise|
|1 Tbsp||green onion, diced|
|2 Tbsp||dill, fresh|
|greens – collards, kale, beet greens, torn|
|1||red onion, chopped|
|2 slices||bacon – I used salami because that’s all that was in the fridge. Bacon would be better though|
- Place dill and squeeze lemon juice on salmon and set aside
- Meanwhile make sauce by combining mayonnaise, lemon, green onion, and dill in a small bowl and set aside
- Heat pan on medium-low, add coconut oil
- Once coconut oil has melted, add salmon with lemon juice and dill to the pan. Cook for 8 minutes, turning once
- Meanwhile, heat medium sized frying pan on medium-high heat. Add onion and stir occasionally
- After 1 minute, add bacon and cook for 5 minutes
- In onion and bacon pan – add tomatoes and greens. Cover and cook for 2 minutes
- Serve dill sauce to the side of the salmon. Bacon can be eaten in the greens mixture or removed