Cinnamon Waffles with Cream Cheese Frosting

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on December 26, 2010

This years’ Christmas marked the first of many new experiences:

• in laws meeting for the first time
  • first dinner party
  • first attempt at a three course dessert
  • cutting a ham
  • serving gluten and dairy free foods to the masses

I had started planning this event months in advance and had nailed down a Christmas Menu back in October. At the end of the night my 13 year old cousin said “If there’s ever a famine… I’m coming to your house” and then she passed out on the living room floor. That to me signaled success.

Our journey began with setting the white balance…

Prepping the table (which took hours)…

Searching, smiling, and dicing…

Measuring, prepping, baking, timing, eating (which I didn’t get to do much of what with being in the kitchen ALL night) and ended with hours of cleaning.

Images from top left: bacon wrapped figs & tofu miso balls, figs, herb dip, kale & white bean caesar salad, spicy cilantro hummus, bacon wrapped figs

The recipes for these and the other treats we enjoyed over the holidays will be posted in the coming days. First, lets start with the meal that fueled us for the exciting day:

Cinnamon Waffles with Cream Cheese Frosting

Ultra fluffy pancake or waffle mix sure to please anyone that’s skeptical of gluten free breakfasts. You’ll walk away the queen (or king) of the kitchen with this healthful approach to a classic dish.

• 1 cup almond flour
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ΒΌ cup chopped pecans
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp flax
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil (do not melt! Room temperature works great)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp almond milk
  • 4 tbsp cream cheese frosting (I added 3 tbsp of almond milk to thin out the frosting)

1. Preheat waffle iron to a medium-high setting (we love our waffle iron from Superstore – Presidents choice brand)
  2. In a large bowl mix almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, pecans, and flax
  3. Separate egg whites and yolks
  4. Combine yolks, coconut oil, honey, vanilla, and milk and mix with hand blender until fluffy
  5. Combine flour mixture into yolk mixture and set aside
  6. Beat whites until fluffy, fold into flour and yolk mixture
  7. If needed, grease preheated waffle iron with coconut oil (ours doesn’t need it)
  8. Spoon batter onto hot waffle iron (3 scoops to a regular sized waffle iron is more than enough). Cook until golden and drizzle with frosting.

Makes 4 waffles

Emily

OMGosh! Pics look fab! You must have had so much fun!

Leanne

ya these waffles were so fun to make…and eat! They were soo fluffy!

Debbie

These waffles sound so good! I know the Grandkids will love them. But where’s the cream cheese frosting recipe?

Thanks!!

You can find the recipe on the link in the post. It’s at the bottom of the PDF file. Just in case you can’t find it, I’ve sent you an email with the detailed recipe. Have a fabulous Sunday, Debbie!

MariaMac

Hi Leanne, I am loving all your recipes and have tracked down pretty much every ingredient except almond flour. I love in Northern Ireland and my local wholefood/health store said that despite their best efforts on a few occasions for different customers they cannot get it. Is there an alternative flour that could be substituted here – and would the substitution vary recipe to recipe? She said that had ground almonds which are very similar – would they work? Thanks in advance!

Hi Maria – I’m so happy to hear that you like my blog and recipes :) You could try ground almonds. They’re a bit coarser than almond flour, but should work for most recipes. You’ll run into issues with things like cakes as they have to have finer flour, but should be okay with smaller treats like cookies, muffins, and pancakes. Good luck!

MariaMac

thank you! first try will be these waffles :-)

barb

LOVE waffles, but have yet to find a eco waffle pan……one without that toxic teflon coating. Do you happen to have one of those, or know of a good one?
thanks for all your delish recipes

Mandy

Hi Leanne,

These look awesome, I can’t wait to make them. I absolutely love your recipes. Thank you so much for sharing. My husband and I are lucky enough that we don’t have any food allergies but we do like to eat as healthy as possible. It’s awesome that it’s possible to make things like cookies, cakes, waffles etc with no refined flours and sugars. Keep the recipes coming!! :)

Yev

Excellent!
I just made these and just love the texture and the taste.
I didn’t have any honey, so I used coconut nectar instead. Also I am trying to get more protein in my diet due to pregnancy, so I took away 1/8 cup of the flour and replaced it with hemp protein powder and I think it was a small enough amount that it didn’t affect the delicious nutty flavour.

Thank you for yet another fantastic recipe!