This recipe was inspired by Kath and her many oatmeal creations (many is an understatement, this woman loves her oats). For all of us who can’t eat oats, here’s a variation of my latest breakfast obsession. If you don’t have Bob’s Red Mill buckwheat or you don’t eat buckwheat you can replace it with millet, quinoa or rice. I like to grind my grains in my vita-mix for a couple of seconds before using it for a porridge like this one.
You’ll notice that there isn’t a lot of sugar in this recipe (the maple syrup can easily be omitted) why sweeten with dates instead? Well, let me tell you!
- They’re high in potassium: regulates the nervous system
- Assists in the normalization of your blood sugar
- High in soluble and insoluble fiber
- Rich in phenol antioxidants
|1 ½ cups||water|
|1 ½ cups||apple juice|
|1 cup||buckwheat cereal|
|2 Tbsp||blackstrap molasses|
|1 cup||dates, soaked for 1 hour|
|2 Tbsp||almond butter|
|1 Tbsp||coconut oil|
|1 tsp||maple syrup|
|generous||hemp seeds, almonds, walnuts, coconut|
- Place water & apple juice in saucepan and bring to a boil
- Add buckwheat cereal, molasses, cinnamon and apple. Turn heat to low, cover, and cook for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes has passed, add egg whites and mix through. Cover, and cook for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, combine almond butter, dates, cinnamon, coconut oil, and maple syrup in food processor
- Once grain is done, spoon helping into bowl. Decorate with date syrup, nuts, and seeds.
Makes 4 very generous servings